I wonder is it true??

qwertman321

• SRC Member

Hi guys... ever wondered why corals in the sea have vibrant color ?

My father friend from manado came to visit our hse that day and i over heard their conversation a little.

I'm not sure how it starts but the guy said something like ... the corals in the sea always have very florascent colors , red , yellow , green , etc. This is becuz at different depth, coral will absorb different amount of UV light from the sun , Thus making the corals extremly bright.

He also said theres once he saw hammer coral blue in color , but he brought back the specimen but slowly, the blue starts to fade away and turn back to green...

So guys.. think its true? :unsure:

• SRC Member

Hi guys... ever wondered why corals in the sea have vibrant color ?

My father friend from manado came to visit our hse that day and i over heard their conversation a little.

I'm not sure how it starts but the guy said something like ... the corals in the sea always have very florascent colors , red , yellow , green , etc. This is becuz at different depth, coral will absorb different amount of UV light from the sun , Thus making the corals extremly bright.

He also said theres once he saw hammer coral blue in color , but he brought back the specimen but slowly, the blue starts to fade away and turn back to green...

So guys.. think its true? :unsure:

the water breaks of the light spectrums... the end of the spectrum colour in light is usually the blue spectrum

which is why our lights for marine usually are blueish to manipulate this effect.

hope this answers your queries.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member

not just to corals, fishes also.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Too much ultra violet can kill your fishes. Remember that there is such a thing as a Ultra-Violet light to purify water (it kills micro-organisms in the water) so too much no good, a little is useful of course as the sun produces UV as well as infra-red as well as the whole spectrum of light which indoors we cannot re-produce with our lighting systems.

• SRC Member

actually i m wondering if UV light will affect the color of the coral?

MOssrope is right. Light is scattered when it penetrates the ocean and the spectrum of colours is absorbed by the water at various depths.

"The long wavelengths of the light spectrum—red, yellow, and orange—can penetrate to approximately 15, 30, and 50 meters (49, 98, and 164 feet), respectively, while the short wavelengths of the light spectrum—violet, blue and green—can penetrate further..." Source article

As for 91Litre's question, UV light will affect not just the colour, but also the health of corals - negatively.

"Corals are very sensitive to UV-A & UV-B light, which can destroy their DNA and RNA. Corals produce colored pigments (blue, purple, pink) in their zooxanthellae cells for protection from the UV light. In nature, UV rays are filtered out by ocean water. The deeper the water, the more UV rays are filtered out of the spectrum. Since corals produce these colorful pigments as a protection from the UV rays striking them, shallow water corals have more colors: More UV, more color; Less UV, less color " Source article

If you are asking whether adding UV lights to an aquarium will make a difference in viewing, UV is not visible to the naked eye! :chair:

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey