Hydrometer

vipermako

• SRC Member

bought an Instant Ocean hydrometer today. Don't quite like it initially due to a lot of bubbles attaching to the pointer. after experimenting for a while manage to fill slowly but still with some small bubbles attached.

measure 4 to 5 times, reading seems to be quite consistent.

instant-ocean-hydrometer.jpg

Is this more accurate then the dip type, which i was using. Reading with the Instant ocean is 1.028 while the dip type give 1.024

EquipmentImage_141.jpg

bought an Instant Ocean hydrometer today. Don't quite like it initially due to a lot of bubbles attaching to the pointer. after experimenting for a while manage to fill slowly but still with some small bubbles attached.

measure 4 to 5 times, reading seems to be quite consistent.

instant-ocean-hydrometer.jpg

Is this more accurate then the dip type, which i was using. Reading with the Instant ocean is 1.028 while the dip type give 1.024

EquipmentImage_141.jpg

why don't you invest in a refractometer bro......

can look for a second hand one.....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Ya man, just saw this available at reef depot, only $60.

Refra_All.jpg

paid $34 for the IO hydrometer. damned!

Is the refractometer at reef depot good?

thanks for the advice, bro. Previously got phobia using one, that is why bought the hydrometer.

Refra_All.jpg

thanks for the advice, bro. Previously got phobia using one, that is why bought the hydrometer.

The hyro is $34?? wow.......

lol... we all learn through experience like this bro....

RD stuff are very reputable.

They have great after service anyway so no worries.

btw, they have a 10% discount from the listed price on their website.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

The hyro is $34?? wow.......

lol... we all learn through experience like this bro....

RD stuff are very reputable.

They have great after service anyway so no worries.

btw, they have a 10% discount from the listed price on their website.

thanks, bro. Will get one from RD tomorrow.

Really regret buying the IO hydrometer, damn expensive man. Next time must do more research before buying and most importantly must consult all the bros at this forum first. That is where all the experiences are.

well, alr bought liao, bo pian. Maybe will use the refractometer to calibrate the IO hydrometer at least to make it usable with some confidence, for daily routine check for my water processing tub. Tried taking 10 readings just now. Seems very consistent with proper filling technique. Now is to check against the refractometer to see how accurate it is. Will use Refractometer to confirm tank sg weekly.

btw, i read that for coral, the salinity should preferably be at 3.5% ? any advice from bros?

• SRC Member

thanks, bro. Will get one from RD tomorrow.

Really regret buying the IO hydrometer, damn expensive man. Next time must do more research before buying and most importantly must consult all the bros at this forum first. That is where all the experiences are.

well, alr bought liao, bo pian. Maybe will use the refractometer to calibrate the IO hydrometer at least to make it usable with some confidence, for daily routine check for my water processing tub. Tried taking 10 readings just now. Seems very consistent with proper filling technique. Now is to check against the refractometer to see how accurate it is. Will use Refractometer to confirm tank sg weekly.

btw, i read that for coral, the salinity should preferably be at 3.5% ? any advice from bros?

bro refractometer is more accurate compare to hydrometer after calibration.

coral salinity recommend around 1.024~ 1.025.

refractor meter usage:

1) use the sucker provided (if there is one) to suck your display tank water (few ML will do)

2) open the protector of the refractometer, drop a few drops on the glass.

3) close the protector and the "tank water" must cover up the whole protector.

4) see thru the refractometer under normal sunlight or just normal ceiling lights.

5) you can see the measurement itself.

if still not clear, RD staff will be more then glad to explain to you in detailed

all the best!

• Like 1

• SRC Member

refractor meter usage:

1) use the sucker provided (if there is one) to suck your display tank water (few ML will do)

4) see thru the refractometer under normal sunlight or just normal ceiling lights.

if still not clear, RD staff will be more then glad to explain to you in detailed

all the best!

thanks, bro.

Is it easy to clean and maintain after use?

• SRC Member

refractor meter usage:

all the best!

do we need to re-calibrate it at our ambient temp.

According to RD, only need to calibrate if it is dropped or due to other reason that might affect the default cal.

Refra_All.jpg

Ya.. IO Hydrometer is one of the better Hydrometer so far... I pay mine ~$2x.. $34 is too X...which LFS u get from?

It is recommend you have either refractometer/pinpoint or spare Hydrometer.. in case sometime U need some reference..

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

i just bought 1 refractometer ,when i test it with refractormeter and hydrometer there is some different reading between these 2 meter

With REFRACTORMETER reading is 1.024 & with HYDROMETER reading is 1.019. So i never trust hydrometer cos the different is so much.

• SRC Member

yup, invest in refractometer is a must for marine, if your hydrometer is placed to close to wavemaker, the SG will go up sometimes,then goes down..controlled by the flow too (just for those whom just started marine fyi)

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Ya.. IO Hydrometer is one of the better Hydrometer so far... I pay mine ~$2x.. $34 is too X...which LFS u get from?

It is recommend you have either refractometer/pinpoint or spare Hydrometer.. in case sometime U need some reference..

ya, you are right. the Instant Ocean hydrometer is quite good actually, after i checked it against the refractometer from RD.

Given that the refractometer that i got from Reef Depot is accurate, the Instant Ocean hydrometer is spot-on.

Initially i don't quite like it, a lot of bubbles. But with proper filling technique, it gives very consistent and spot-on reading as compared to the refractometer:-0 Glad to have one as spare, as you said. But the price is on the high side. I guess the actual price should be as you said, 20+. Taking the Boyu protein skimmer as a reference, this shop is selling at $32 as compared to $23 at other LFS. Not so nice to mention the name here.

But as i said, the IO hydrometer is spot-on, to my surprise. Now i love it. it even has a better/easy-to-see resolution than the refractometer. I use to test/adjust my water processing tank daily.

• SRC Member

i just bought 1 refractometer ,when i test it with refractormeter and hydrometer there is some different reading between these 2 meter

With REFRACTORMETER reading is 1.024 & with HYDROMETER reading is 1.019. So i never trust hydrometer cos the different is so much.

which hydrometer do you use?

ya, you are right. the Instant Ocean hydrometer is quite good actually, after i checked it against the refractometer from RD.

Given that the refractometer that i got from Reef Depot is accurate, the Instant Ocean hydrometer is spot-on.

Initially i don't quite like it, a lot of bubbles. But with proper filling technique, it gives very consistent and spot-on reading as compared to the refractometer:-0 Glad to have one as spare, as you said. But the price is on the high side. I guess the actual price should be as you said, 20+. Taking the Boyu protein skimmer as a reference, this shop is selling at $32 as compared to $23 at other LFS. Not so nice to mention the name here.

But as i said, the IO hydrometer is spot-on, to my surprise. Now i love it. it even has a better/easy-to-see resolution than the refractometer. I use to test/adjust my water processing tank daily.

:thumbsup::ThanxSmiley:

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

vary a few salinity on my tank, surprisingly the euphyllia paraancora seems to like a value slightly above 36, judging by the amount of tentacles expansion? Not so good at 34. Slightly better at 35. Best at 36+. Values confirmed 3 times with refractometer.

Is this normal? Thought NSW is about 35?

• SRC Member

Average salinity of sea water is 35ppt (34 to 36ppt), specific gravity is measured in sg (1.025sg). The hydrometer measures specific gravity while refractometer measures salinity. The 2 units of measurements are used interchangeably in the hobby, just a heads up.

Btw, sorry onizuka, I accidentally down your rep for one one the replies above when I meant to plus 1. I can't change it back so I added a point to your next reply :(

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

any type of distilled water? those from supermarket ok?

yes. we're just testing for the level of dissolved salt in the water, so any distilled water is fine. in fact, i used tap water. not advisable though but the levels of salt in tap water is negligible.