ALK, PH and KH

kksg2000

• SRC Member

Googled that for you:

Carbonate hardness, or Carbonate alkalinity is a measure of the alkalinity of water caused by the presence of carbonate (CO32-) and bicarbonate (HCO3-) ions. It is usually expressed either as parts per million (ppm or mg/L), or in degrees KH (dKH). -- Alkalinity, reef.org

Alkalinity is a measure of the pH buffering capacity of water. It indicates the concentration of carbonate (CO3)2-,hydrogen bicarbonate (HCO3)-, borate (BO3)3-, sulphate (SO4)2-, and hydroxide (OH)- anions. -- Wiki

I found this article very useful when learning reef chemistry for the first time last weekend: Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Short and quick answer: if you don't know, then just assume it's the same cos they are co-related. There's a Salifert test kit for ALK that also gives the equivalent in dKH, because it is a good enough indicator. You should get a very clear picture from reading the above articles.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Googled that for you:

I found this article very useful when learning reef chemistry for the first time last weekend: Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Short and quick answer: if you don't know, then just assume it's the same cos they are co-related. There's a Salifert test kit for ALK that also gives the equivalent in dKH, because it is a good enough indicator. You should get a very clear picture from reading the above articles.

Is Salifert test kit good? I brought a Salifert PO4 test kit yesterday, i could hardly compare the test with the color chart ... i couldn't tell with my eyes..

• SRC Member

Oh and for the PO4, if you can't tell the colours, you can double the water tested and the PO4-1, PO4-2 reagents, then divide the reading by 2 for a clearer result if it is too low on the spectrum to see the blueness.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi,

I am still have doubts about these 3 parameters. My question is, KH = ALK? If i did a test on KH, should i get another test kit for ALK? For some reasons, i couldn't get a result from my Redsea ALK test kit.

Tks.

• SRC Member

1) PH got PH test kit/meter to measure which good range is ~ 8.1 to 8.3 (am using a ph pen to measure) ph pen

2) KH i am using salifert to test which good range is (8 ~ 12dKH), alk and kh is the same test kit.

salifert kh/alk tester

The total carbonate and bicarbonate concentration is also called alkalinity (alk) or carbonate hardness (KH)

Click this link for more info

• Like 1

• SRC Member

If i test KH, am i also testing alk? same?

Bro,

There are different theories on this..... unlikely you can find a definite answer here.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

Bro,

There are different theories on this..... unlikely you can find a definite answer here.

Hi bro, dHK is the measurement of alkalinity caused by the presence of carbonate and bicarbonate.

There is no discernible difference between dKH and alkalinity for reefers playing with reef chemistry on a hobby level (correct me if I'm wrong). The test kits sold out there for dKH and ALK is actually testing for alkalinity. Rather than to develop a separate hobby test kit for dKH to measure the level of carbonate and bicarbonate, it is widely accepted that the measurement of alkalinity equivalent is enough.

Anyway kksg, you posted the same topic just 2 weeks back and I already replied with a series of articles. Maybe you didn't see it, but I think it's better to continue the same thread in future rather than to start a new one for the exact same topic.

Edited by binosage
Merged threads

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Hi bro, dHK is the measurement of alkalinity caused by the presence of carbonate and bicarbonate.

There is no discernible difference between dKH and alkalinity for reefers playing with reef chemistry on a hobby level (correct me if I'm wrong). The test kits sold out there for dKH and ALK is actually testing for alkalinity. Rather than to develop a separate hobby test kit for dKH to measure the level of carbonate and bicarbonate, it is widely accepted that the measurement of alkalinity equivalent is enough.

Anyway kksg, you posted the same topic just 2 weeks back and I already replied with a series of articles. Maybe you didn't see it, but I think it's better to continue the same thread in future rather than to start a new one for the exact same topic.

ya bro. thanks. you cleared my doubts.