Loonz, how was your first open water dive?

Achilles Tang

• SRC Member

Posted this msg at the Pasar Malam section too as a direct reply...

Hi guys,

Guess what??I survived TIOMAN...haha...anywayz...it was better than I expected, but worse than I hoped it would be..... There was nothing I didn't see snorkeling at Redang that I couldn't see scuba diving at Tioman...perhaps I was a little bit unlucky though, cos some of my mates managed to catch glimpses of a sea turtle, and some saw barracudas...there was also mention of a near metre in diameter jellyfish that was prancing about during one of the dives...abit confused there abt barracudas and needle fish, anyone can elaborate on the differences?? I thought wat I saw were baby barracudas while at Redang, they schooled and some were alone, but when I pointed one out at Tioman looking from above water level, I was told it's a needle fish...hmm...

Bottom line, I had fun diving! And would love to take my advance diver soon...at this time, perhaps the cheap and nice place to take that is clear of the monsoon would be in Thailand??? Am i right?

• SRC Member

Didnt take any photos leh, wanted to bring me G2, but I was afraid to leave it in the room lest it got stolen..and was afraid to bring in onto the boat lest it got wet....but did managed to take a couple of shots using frens

cameras, but they werent underwater pics, so you guys wouldnt be interested..haha...

Loonz

Did you pass? PADI,NAUI or SSI

Did not see anything interesting huh. :unsure:

Always happen to 1st timers. Like so many thing to check, exercise to perform, keeping your bouyance................ where got time to see anything

How many dives did you do total including pool?

Are you going for advance?

loonz;

welcome to the wonderful world of diving.

I am happy to hear from you that you have enjoyed diving.

Tioman, Aur and Dayang are almost at the end of the season. This actually means that monsoons is sweeping in and planktons are building up. Visibility tends to be worst during end season.

But to good news is... ... if you keep your eyes open, you might just see a whaleshark above u.

• 5 months later...

Loonz,

Roger here. Welcome to our superb watery world !!

As for your question of needlefish vs barras, usually needlefish refer to the halfbeaks or garfish, which are commonly seen at the jetties. They don't get half as big as the Great Barra, S. barracuda, but still quite fun to look at. The smallest barras I've seen while diving were those schooling yellow-tail ones at about 2' long.

If you haven't done your Adv course yet, why not do it in Redang now? It's open season now, and I'll be there in April. Might be doing my Mas. Sc. Dvr course then - depends on how my funding goes :o

• SRC Member
Loonz,

Roger here. Welcome to our superb watery world !!

As for your question of needlefish vs barras, usually needlefish refer to the halfbeaks or garfish, which are commonly seen at the jetties. They don't get half as big as the Great Barra, S. barracuda, but still quite fun to look at. The smallest barras I've seen while diving were those schooling yellow-tail ones at about 2' long.

If you haven't done your Adv course yet, why not do it in Redang now? It's open season now, and I'll be there in April. Might be doing my Mas. Sc. Dvr course then - depends on how my funding goes :o

Needle fishes aka garfish, nose sharper.. cannot see teeth..

Baras.. Mouth rounder than garfish, and teeths are visible..

Welcome to the underwater world, up close and personal..

;)