DIY Prizm Surface Skimmer

Fishfreak

I was getting tired of having to blot out the surface gunk using paper regularly.

Wanted to DIY a surface skimmer for my first generation Prizm (Prizm surface skimmer sold as an attachment cannot be used). Tried using the box under the pipe method but found it difficult to adjust and fasten.

Finally decided to use PVC pipes instead. I took the idea from some one in SRC or was it from RC - I cannot remember.

Here's what I did:

1) I need to keep the intake as short as possible, so I cut out a section and glue the bottom half to the top.

2) Used a 16mm 'L' connector and glued a threaded smaller diameter 'L' connector to it. The 16mm connector fits nicely to the Prizm intake. No need to glue so you can adjust it easily. I used the smaller threaded connector simply because I could not find a similar 16mm threaded connector in the neighbourhood shop.

3) Cut teeth and drill several holes as in the pic below and you're done.

On installing it, I find that I need a larger extractor so that more water can flow in. If you're doing this, you should go for a larger piece.

I have this running for two days now and the surface is clearly clearer now.

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
I was getting tired of having to blot out the surface gunk using paper regularly.

Wanted to DIY a surface skimmer for my first generation Prizm (Prizm surface skimmer sold as an attachment cannot be used). Tried using the box under the pipe method but found it difficult to adjust and fasten.

Finally decided to use PVC pipes instead. I took the idea from some one in SRC or was it from RC - I cannot remember.

Here's what I did:

1) I need to keep the intake as short as possible, so I cut out a section and glue the bottom half to the top.

2) Used a 16mm 'L' connector and glued a threaded smaller diameter 'L' connector to it. The 16mm connector fits nicely to the Prizm intake. No need to glue so you can adjust it easily. I used the smaller threaded connector simply because I could not find a similar 16mm threaded connector in the neighbourhood shop.

3) Cut teeth and drill several holes as in the pic below and you're done.

On installing it, I find that I need a larger extractor so that more water can flow in. If you're doing this, you should go for a larger piece.

I have this running for two days now and the surface is clearly clearer now.

any pics of how this works pls?