Running Ehiem pump external out of water

limsc

• SRC Member

Any bro here running their ehiem pump externally out of the water?

I am thinking to do it this way to minimise the heat to the tank water, but will it reduce the lifespan?

My tank is still in the planning stage.

• SRC Member

Any bro here running their ehiem pump externally out of the water?

I am thinking to do it this way to minimise the heat to the tank water, but will it reduce the lifespan?

My tank is still in the planning stage.

i used eheim 1262 to run it externally (did piping to suck water from tank to inlet) instead of putting whole pump into tank.

no issue:groupwavereversed:

you can ask tank maker to drill a hole and silicon the inlet pipe for the pump or you can do a pipe from pump -> top of the sump height -> downwards to suck water

• SRC Member

i used eheim 1262 to run it externally (did piping to suck water from tank to inlet) instead of putting whole pump into tank.

no issue:groupwavereversed:

you can ask tank maker to drill a hole and silicon the inlet pipe for the pump or you can do a pipe from pump -> top of the sump height -> downwards to suck water

Thanks bro.

If using pipe to suck the water up to the pump.

Does it restart the suction automatically after turning off the power and the inlet drained of water?

Or we need to full the inlet pipe with water again?

I am not keen of the idea of using hole and silicon as there is the risk of leakage...

• SRC Member

Thanks bro.

If using pipe to suck the water up to the pump.

Does it restart the suction automatically after turning off the power and the inlet drained of water?

Or we need to full the inlet pipe with water again?

I am not keen of the idea of using hole and silicon as there is the risk of leakage...

the power is enough to let it suck up again if the water level is above the suction pipe, no issues for me. (dont need to do additional steps just on the pump and it will suck again).

attached is the pic of my previous pump that is not inside the sump.

*Note: the pipe output might be greatly decrease due to many bends encountered for the suction to pump up water to main tank, but at least enough water is pumped up to let the sump be filled with water again for my case. 1262 for a 5 feet tank :chair:

post-15831-031471300 1280126545_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

the power is enough to let it suck up again if the water level is above the suction pipe, no issues for me. (dont need to do additional steps just on the pump and it will suck again).

attached is the pic of my previous pump that is not inside the sump.

*Note: the pipe output might be greatly decrease due to many bends encountered for the suction to pump up water to main tank, but at least enough water is pumped up to let the sump be filled with water again for my case. 1262 for a 5 feet tank :chair:

Thanks.. now i feel more assured.

Any more bro using external like bro onizuka?

Wanna get more feedback.

• SRC Member

Hi limsc,

I've been running my Eheim 1250 out of the water for over 2 years.

Being an IOS tank, I'd have to turn it off during water changes. Otherwise, it'll start sucking air when water level in main tank drops below pump's outlet nozzle. Even though I later fill up water in the main tank, there still remains a pocket of air in the pump chamber. I have to use a siphon at the outlet nozzle to kick-start the pump.

You'd probably will not encounter this issue if you position your Eheim as per bro onizuka's diagram.

(diagram of my pump setup in below link.)

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68987&pid=755155&mode=threaded&start=#entry755155

Hi Bro

For Eheim universal pump series, they are design to run in-sump or out sump. Can we assume you are referring to Eheim universal pump series? And not Eheim compact pump series?

BTW I been using Eheim 1060 universal pump for the past 17 years and they are still working as my main pumps for my current tank. Only replaced the impeller once (last year) with 17 years of operations. These pumps are running external (out sump).