fowlr tank in need of help

• SRC Member

U could try fitting those wooden type air skimmer...also I remember seeing boyu has a nano skimmer...

It beats better than none. Good luck!

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

U could try fitting those wooden type air skimmer...also I remember seeing boyu has a nano skimmer...

It beats better than none. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. Will check out Sea View Aquarium@Jalan Kayu or Aqua Star @Yishun to see if they sell..

Actually, was down at IMM today, saw 1 small skimmer at the Qian Hu booth, price at $17, some china brand...no dimension, wasn't sure if it fit, but wanted to buy...but person in charge say at the Exhibition, they are not allow to do sales transaction...Thinking of removing the undergravel filter and replace with a small skimmer, hope my other mechanical filter ###### wave maker (Dazs) can support the system alone. Appreciate your advice.

5x1x0.5ft wall tank;Tunze9002;Tunze pump mini;Hydor Koralia Nano;dymax vortex w8;Gex aqua turbo fan (M); 4ft T5-28W; IKEA LED Dioder Strip; 45inch single DIY White LED strip(SMD5050 300led/5m reel waterproof type)

After sat equipment hunting, manage to add in a Resun skimmer SK-05, mini size (suitable for max 20g), got it from Aqua Star@Yishun...Sea View @Jalan Kayu...didn't find anything, managed to install w/o removing my other undergravel filter ###### wave maker..., Happy man..., now for system to stablise and add in 1-2 more livestock...

5x1x0.5ft wall tank;Tunze9002;Tunze pump mini;Hydor Koralia Nano;dymax vortex w8;Gex aqua turbo fan (M); 4ft T5-28W; IKEA LED Dioder Strip; 45inch single DIY White LED strip(SMD5050 300led/5m reel waterproof type)

Pictures of my newly installed Resun skimmer side by side with existing undergravel filter ###### wave maker...satisfied..., now. Went to Pasir Ris farm to get 1 dotty back, 1 golden damsel, 1 worm and a small piece of live rock....

post-18451-064597600 1284271925_thumb.jp

post-18451-083405600 1284271938_thumb.jp

Latest pics of my tanks.

post-18451-035889300 1284272414_thumb.jp

post-18451-084720700 1284272421_thumb.jp

post-18451-056317300 1284272429_thumb.jp

post-18451-057489800 1284272435_thumb.jp

post-18451-045019700 1284272445_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

I really don't know what to say <_<

firstly the resun skimmer has been proven not to work by a few reefers already

you can consider getting the tunze 9002

also I dont understand whats the undergravel filter for??

oh yep the purple seafan also seems to be up already...

you seem to be living around the northern side pm me if u need help. :peace:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• 6 months later...

Latest pics of my tanks.

Just remembered it's been a year since I started with this hobby.., after a trying 1st year, kinda of survived...and know what works for my tank. Pics..., now have a few corals ...particularly like the sun coral which i got recently..

post-18451-0-93049000-1302504148_thumb.j

post-18451-0-31978600-1302504160_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I would think that for any tank whether its FOWLR or Tanks with Coral no matter how small it is a chiller and a skimmer is a must! Speaking from personal experience I started off my 63 litre tank without a skimmer or a chiller. All i had was a small Eheim external filter. I just had a bad feeling and added a cheap Hailea Chiller - the one with the smallest Capacity - about 200 bucks and an air driven skimmer which can be placed into the main tank. The water quality is good and the fish are happy and healthy. Our temperatures are just too warm. Without a chiller the tank's temperature hits about 32 degrees. Ofcourse if you have 24 hr air conditioning then its a different story and if its a tank which is small you don't need a chiller. I do a 10% water change alternate days or leave two to 3 day gaps between a water change. Its not at all necessary to have a sump for small systems.

If i could go back in time and do things differently I would have gotten a hang on back skimmer instead of the air driven one which I have now. The air stone has to be replaced or cleaned periodically - at least once a month! Its also VERY VERY important to get excellent quality live rock which has been stripped of sponges and it should look like a nice clean bone. The mistake i made was to get Sh***y live rock which had all sorts of crap growing on it - sponges etc and there were bristle worms as well. I thought hey great - free hitchhikers! We dont need these buggers they just foul up the water etc. Attached is a picture of the live rock which I bought recently. This is how it should look. If it doesn't look like this DONT BUY IT!!

post-19530-0-27902700-1312912425_thumb.j

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE