Live Stock and Singapore Immigration

toughdog

Hi everyone, this is my first post although I am avid reader of the forum for past couple months..

Appologize to moderators if this Topic is in the wrong thread, not sure where to post. But here is my dilema:

I am in Beijing working for a week and I will be back in Singapore tomorrow. Today is my day off and China is mourning for mud slide so they cut off the only one English channel in this hotel. I dont speak Chinese :)

I was really bored and head to town, I found this amazing place with about 50 fish shops out of which about 4-5 are dealing with saltwater. They are cheap and I am a pretty impulsive shopper, I wonder what would happen if I try to fly in Singapore tomorrow with a plastic bag having a Starfish, a couple snails, a couple shrimps and maybe a few soft corals? The shopkeeper assured me he can pack it such way that they can live 24 hours in the bag and the 6 hours trip should not stress them up too much..

Question is, how will Singapore checkpoint officers will react when I will declare the goods and even will they let me board the plane in the first place? Has anyone try to bring in live stock without having an import license or being a pro LFS?

Thanks for reading and hope for some good advise :)

• SRC Member

Found the info :)

this forumis great, thanks!

Hi there bro. May i know where is this place you just mentioned? Izit very far from city? Would love to chk it out when im in beijing. Thx

Can sms me the add if not too troublesome @ 98453428. Are corals there cheap?

Hi Mag,

I don't know the name and location, someone wrote it for me in Chinese on a piece of paper which I showed to the taxi driver. I can scan it and send to you BUT.

I am very new (3 months) in saltwater tank-keeping, although i had about 4-5 fresh water tanks for past 25 years.. I didnt know much around the LFS in Singapore, and that got me excited when I seen the beijing Bonanza.. However this morning I went to Pasi Ris to collect my dogs from Pet Hotel and notice next door a fish farm. Entered and was excited! way more selection of corals then all shops together in Beijing. And cheaper. And hassle free. Actually the beijing shopkeeper couldnt understand why I buy there when he berings it there from Singapore-Malaysia-Indonesia..

To update about the adventure, I got 5 small plate/bubble corals on different colors, a small starfish, 2 turbo snails, 2 skunk shrimps and 2 peppermint shrimps (i have an outbreak of tube anemone in my tank which i hopt the shrips will eat..). I pack each piece in a small plastic bag 1 third watera and two third oxigen. Put them all in plastic box to keep them togehter and placed the box in my backpack. (Wanted to find a small stirofoam box or a small coolerbox to protect from low temp in palne cargo but couldnt find in time).

I checkin the backpack and collected in Singapore after 6 hours flight. No issues on customs and I reach home about midnight. I stayed up till 3AM to slowly acclimate the creatures to my tank and happy went to sleep. This morning found them all ok (cant actually say for the corals, some are over inflated, some are close and hidden inside) but 3 out of the 4 shrimps died. Just a peppermint is there now.. Also one more thing to mention, one of the plastic bags broke or leak so all my clothes were wet in the bag. Lucky it was the starfish bag, and this creature doesnt need the oxigen and water to survive the trip.

Overall, kinda regret i did it now, I would have get it in Singapore maybe cheaper and less hassle. But the thrill :)

take care

Adi

Not sure if there is problem with bringing live corals into singapore..

Torque, according to AVA:

Marine invertebrates (Non-swimming, e.g. soft corals, soft corals or other invertebrates on rocks, not larger than palm-size) From Any country 5 pieces of not more than 5kg in total weight per person per trip, subject to a maximum of 10 pieces and total weight not more than 10kg per car (2 or more persons in the car)

take care

Adi