Stocking Question

yogi77

Hi All,

Part way into my setup and I think I need some advice.

28G, running skimmer. levels going up and down as stock goes in and looking pretty good and stable. Also doing 10% water change weekly.

My LFS done the setup for me and to start with i was a little worried but it has all seemed to work out good so far, this is my current stock list:

2x True Perc's

2x Banggai Cardinal

1x Royal Gamma

1x Fire fish

2x Clear shrimp

3x bumble bees snails

3x Turbos

3x Asterea

1x Blue leg Hermit

Each time the LFS guy has come he talks to my wife and tell's her what we can get next, the thing it I'm a bit worried we are hitting (if not over) the stock limit.

The last few things I have been offered are:

Flame angel

1x goby (choice of, stonogobiops nematodes, xanthorhinica, amblyeleotris randalli.)

1x Dragonent (in a few months once there is food for it in tank)

I guess my question is do I get some or all of the last bunch of fish or do I wait and be happy with what i have?

Please advise.

Thanks

YB

Hi All,

Part way into my setup and I think I need some advice.

28G, running skimmer. levels going up and down as stock goes in and looking pretty good and stable. Also doing 10% water change weekly.

My LFS done the setup for me and to start with i was a little worried but it has all seemed to work out good so far, this is my current stock list:

2x True Perc's

2x Banggai Cardinal

1x Royal Gamma

1x Fire fish

2x Clear shrimp

3x bumble bees snails

3x Turbos

3x Asterea

1x Blue leg Hermit

Each time the LFS guy has come he talks to my wife and tell's her what we can get next, the thing it I'm a bit worried we are hitting (if not over) the stock limit.

The last few things I have been offered are:

Flame angel

1x goby (choice of, stonogobiops nematodes, xanthorhinica, amblyeleotris randalli.)

1x Dragonent (in a few months once there is food for it in tank)

I guess my question is do I get some or all of the last bunch of fish or do I wait and be happy with what i have?

Please advise.

Thanks

YB

Quite subjective..... different books and web recommend diff suggestion...

some say stocking is about 1" of fish per 3 gallons for fish only and some say

* For small to medium fish, the rule is 2" of fish for every 10 gallons.

* For medium to large bodied fish, the rule is 1" of fish for every 10 gallons.

But I ever see ppl kept 30fishes in 20-25Gallon tank without casualty... and long thriving too.. But on the other hand we can apply above as ROT, also provide a good home to our livestock..

I strongly believe tank maturity first priority (How old is your tank?)...

2nd:- Fish nature behavior & habitat compatibility (Your case looks ok, except for Dragonet, makesure have enough pods/live foods for him to consume, and some reefers having hard time with RG Vs Firefish but in general they r ok)

also your filtration system and water volume play a parts...

If all above fulfill, I believe should not any issue as your fish selection not those big size & aggressive species and greedy fish like tangs family.......

Cheers and Happy Reefing..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

I strongly believe tank maturity first priority (How old is your tank?)...

2nd:- Fish nature behavior & habitat compatibility (Your case looks ok, except for Dragonet, makesure have enough pods/live foods for him to consume, and some reefers having hard time with RG Vs Firefish but in general they r ok)

also your filtration system and water volume play a parts...

If all above fulfill, I believe should not any issue as your fish selection not those big size & aggressive species and greedy fish like tangs family.......

Cheers and Happy Reefing..

Many thanks for your reply, I'll give you a time line re age of tank

Started with cured LR and sand and water from one of the LFS own tanks, 3 weeks in put in corals, 3 weeks later x2 perc's + shrimp, 4 weeks later rest of fish (Monday just gone), hoping for 0's on testing in 3 - 4 weeks before looking for next fish, think that will be RG + golby of choice.

I'm not 100% sure but do the bumble bees eat the same pod's as the dragonets? I would really like one but don't want to starve him/her so want to make sure i have enough food for him to live but just don't know how long would you say give it 3 or 4 months before thinking about getting one?

my filter is modified media basket running filter floss changed every few days, Chemi-pure, Purgen, + hangon skimmer and as stated before 10% water change each week.

cheers

Many thanks for your reply, I'll give you a time line re age of tank

Started with cured LR and sand and water from one of the LFS own tanks, 3 weeks in put in corals, 3 weeks later x2 perc's + shrimp, 4 weeks later rest of fish (Monday just gone), hoping for 0's on testing in 3 - 4 weeks before looking for next fish, think that will be RG + golby of choice.

So, how many fish leave in your tank? could I say your tank is about 3month old? To be exact.. You might need to ensure nitrogen cycle completed.

Pls find below link for tank cycle from LemonLemon,

I'm not 100% sure but do the bumble bees eat the same pod's as the dragonets? I would really like one but don't want to starve him/her so want to make sure i have enough food for him to live but just don't know how long would you say give it 3 or 4 months before thinking about getting one?

Bumble bee snail is scavenger.. act as cleaning crew and consume some algae... it is too slow for pods

my filter is modified media basket running filter floss changed every few days, Chemi-pure, Purgen, + hangon skimmer and as stated before 10% water change each week.

should be fine, you can add more LR in your Sump/filter compartment to improve filter efficiency

Cheers and Happy Reefing....:)

cheers

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Hi, Pls find below Nitrogen Cycle Animation.... Just keep monitor and follow the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate profile shown in the pics..... To make sure "Stressful" and "toxic" stage over....

post-9248-099545300 1283432427_thumb.gif

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

COFh,

Answers to your questions:

Current Stock

2x True Perc's

2x Banggai Cardinal

1x Royal Gamma

1x Fire fish

Tank is 10 weeks old. First cycle was very small I would say it took 5 weeks before Ammonia and NO2 were 0, after Perc's went in small Ammonia increase, then on to a small NO2 increase which took some time to drop to 0, then some NO3 which was heading towards 0 before the alst batch of fish. I don't have the levels to hand they are in my log book at home.

Since adding fire,gamma, cardinal, have seen a bigger Ammonia increase which is now dropping and the NO2 on its way up. Watching now to see the NO3 also climb.

I'll look to add some more LR once things have settled down a little.

Many thanks for your advise.

YB

COFh,

Answers to your questions:

Current Stock

2x True Perc's

2x Banggai Cardinal

1x Royal Gamma

1x Fire fish

Tank is 10 weeks old. First cycle was very small I would say it took 5 weeks before Ammonia and NO2 were 0, after Perc's went in small Ammonia increase, then on to a small NO2 increase which took some time to drop to 0, then some NO3 which was heading towards 0 before the alst batch of fish. I don't have the levels to hand they are in my log book at home.

Since adding fire,gamma, cardinal, have seen a bigger Ammonia increase which is now dropping and the NO2 on its way up. Watching now to see the NO3 also climb.

I'll look to add some more LR once things have settled down a little.

Many thanks for your advise.

YB

All the best... :thumbsup::cheers:

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore