Emergency!! (Interruptus)

i have always wondered about that too.

if they arrive with the internal problems, means they had it already in the wild. dunno what's the reason and i've been trying to figure out too. maybe it has something to do with the parasite's life cycle, which is very often overlooked.

internal parasites can be a a real PITA to cure. when it's too late, all efforts are almost futile. even when pinched in the bud, it will take many doses and even after, it may relapse.

chingchai's one was better because he got them almost immediately and he did stringent QT. and also i guess because he may be lucky. althought stringent qt like wat digi said may not be helpful, thats why i think chingchai had lady luck smiling on him too.

Its like ladyluck gave the guy a handjob or something. All three alive and doing well.

• SRC Member

stiffness after death is caused by rigor mortis, which usually sets in a few hours after death.

rigor mortis is caused by chemical changes and is one of the signs used for confirmation of death.

Indy, here's something interesting but nerdy for you to try on your future fish. if you can obtain ATP (adenosin triphosphate) and apply it to a freshly dead fish or any organism for that matter, the muscles will start to become active and the fish will "move".

it has to be freshly dead. ATP is what our body cells use for energy and if muscles of a freshly dead organism is still alive, applying this on it will make it move. very intersting.. but kinda morbid

Hi Lemon, I'm not referring to rigor mortis. I've realized that due to the diff reason of death, in some case the body does feel alot stiffer than usual and it's almost immd rite after death. For such symptoms, how can it be rigor mortis! As I've experienced this before during my tank upgrade. I named such death as Sudden Death Syndrome, SDS. Swimming and feeding well one day before without display of any injuries or sickness, dead the next day. This was experienced both in holding tank n new tank and of all fishes in those conditions, only one death. Do note that I'm not referring to new fishes.

Anyone else has such experience?

• Senior Reefer

Hi Lemon, I'm not referring to rigor mortis. I've realized that due to the diff reason of death, in some case the body does feel alot stiffer than usual and it's almost immd rite after death. For such symptoms, how can it be rigor mortis! As I've experienced this before during my tank upgrade. I named such death as Sudden Death Syndrome, SDS. Swimming and feeding well one day before without display of any injuries or sickness, dead the next day. This was experienced both in holding tank n new tank and of all fishes in those conditions, only one death. Do note that I'm not referring to new fishes.

Anyone else has such experience?

yes! i experienced this before.

the fish just tense up and spaz right? then die, with the body vibrating abit. and very stiff.

i also dunno why that happens.

• SRC Member

hey IndyM, extremely sorry to hear the demise of your beloved interruptus, esp more so when you took the trouble to travel all the way to Sg.

Thanks for sharing your painful experience here, so that new reefers like myself can learn the tell tale signs of what you've been thru. :friends:

I'm sure the prized fish that Lemon has for you, would definitely be better from this experience! :peace:

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

hey IndyM, extremely sorry to hear the demise of your beloved interruptus, esp more so when you took the trouble to travel all the way to Sg.

Thanks for sharing your painful experience here, so that new reefers like myself can learn the tell tale signs of what you've been thru. :friends:

I'm sure the prized fish that Lemon has for you, would definitely be better from this experience! :peace:

Thanks Milch :friends:

• SRC Member

hi IndyM, sorry to hear the demise of your interruptus too :( so you are the person uncle said he holding the fish for. was surprised to hear about the conditions the WI is in too cos apparently was told they were reserved and sold.

this always the issues with new shipment fish. fast come fast go. for my case, i try to get the fish from fellow reefers here or wait till bout 2 weeks when the shipment is in, if fish still around properly higher chances of surving. but usually all be gone by then ... <_<