My First MH DIY Pic - soon..but....

reeflobang

• SRC Member

Went down to Victron today and bought a 150W DE MH set from them. S$156 nett with a 10K BLV Bulb. Was told by the boss that BLV rep told him that as this bulb is specially for marine tank, its UV-protected though its DE type. Anyone able to verify this?

Will also be trying to reach BLV Germany meanwhile but its the holiday season, not sure if I can get them... :( Don't want to risk meanwhile.....

Anyway, PIC below:

post-9-1072443137.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went down to Victron today and bought a 150W DE MH set from them. S$156 nett with a 10K BLV Bulb. Was told by the boss that BLV rep told him that as this bulb is specially for marine tank, its UV-protected though its DE type. Anyone able to verify this?

Will also be trying to reach BLV Germany meanwhile but its the holiday season, not sure if I can get them... :( Don't want to risk meanwhile.....

Anyway, PIC below:

I am using the same fixture as you...... for few months..... no problem.... you can use it now.....

• SRC Member
Bought exactly the same as u. Would like to know how you plan to put them on your tank as I am still struck with no proper fixtures to hold them.

As attached or just hang the box... still thinking about it.

May also source for aluminium FL casing to try to squeeze the fixture in.... but the casing will need to have enough depth and some parts need to be removed as well.

post-9-1072450829.jpg

• SRC Member
Well maybe you can go DIY something like this.. a holder to hold your MH...

Thanks for the ideas and offers to help out. Still cranking te brain juice. Got a friend who happen to have two brothers - one is a carpenter and the other owns a precision metal enginnering company.... also trying to see if they can help...... :)

• SRC Member

whether to use 6,500K, 10KK or 20KK realli hav to depend on wat type of corals u keep....

corals that r found deeper in the reef will like 20KK more while most corals, which r found nearer to the surface wld do betta with 6K5 or 10KK.... :)

another way to look at it is that 20KK does not require actinic but will lose an edge in intensity to 6k5/10kk....

if u stil got space to supplement actinic, go for 10kk+actinic...

else, 20kk shld be sufficient for most corals, but due to intensity problem, it shld be hanged nearer to the tank surface (ard 6 inches for a 150W) :)