Purple Anthias

I bought a purple anthias 3days ago, the day it went to the tank, straight away hiding and onli started coming out a few times and each time onli 1-2minit. Really a shy fish . Really having a hard time trying to get him to be more active and also trying to get him eat. Anyone have an anthias that is feeding on pellets? Please advise cos really dunt want it to die. Tqvm

• SRC Member

I bought a purple anthias 3days ago, the day it went to the tank, straight away hiding and onli started coming out a few times and each time onli 1-2minit. Really a shy fish . Really having a hard time trying to get him to be more active and also trying to get him eat. Anyone have an anthias that is feeding on pellets? Please advise cos really dunt want it to die. Tqvm

Purple Queens are really difficult to get them to feed. In fact I'm only able to get them to take mysis and cyclopeeze. I tried pellets soaked in garlic but no success..maybe the size is too large. If you have a larger group, they tend to be less shy. Low lights also help.. blue light? Regular feeding (more than 2 times a day) is needed else they will starve ( head bigger than body) and die... wish you luck

Purple Queens are really difficult to get them to feed. In fact I'm only able to get them to take mysis and cyclopeeze. I tried pellets soaked in garlic but no success..maybe the size is too large. If you have a larger group, they tend to be less shy. Low lights also help.. blue light? Regular feeding (more than 2 times a day) is needed else they will starve ( head bigger than body) and die... wish you luck

Thx for the advice bro :ThanxSmiley: . Btw, just to ask mysis isit the same as brine shrimp??

• Senior Reefer

purple anthias have 3 kinds. Yours is definitely on of the three below, but without a photo, i can only assume it's purple queen anthias, being the most commonly offered "purple anthias".

Pseudanthias tuka - commonly called purple queen anthias.

Pseudanthias pasculus - commonly called purple anthias. However they look almost identical to purple queens and alot of people mix them up. for simplicity sake, both shall be considered purple queen anthias.

Pseudanthias evansi - purple also with a yellow band running down the dorsal region.

all the above 3 "purple anthias" are very difficult to keep. requires alot of feeding and most usually pine away even after feeding.

the "purple anthias" are one of the harder ones to keep. you should try other hardier species.

purple anthias have 3 kinds. Yours is definitely on of the three below, but without a photo, i can only assume it's purple queen anthias, being the most commonly offered "purple anthias".

Pseudanthias tuka - commonly called purple queen anthias.

Pseudanthias pasculus - commonly called purple anthias. However they look almost identical to purple queens and alot of people mix them up. for simplicity sake, both shall be considered purple queen anthias.

Pseudanthias evansi - purple also with a yellow band running down the dorsal region.

all the above 3 "purple anthias" are very difficult to keep. requires alot of feeding and most usually pine away even after feeding.

the "purple anthias" are one of the harder ones to keep. you should try other hardier species.

Tqvm for the advice. Will try my best to get it to eat. Although it is shy but its really a fish with class and style of its own. Really like

it a lot. Tried feeding with brine shrimp but it didnt show much interest. Will try mysis and cyclopeze :peace:

• SRC Member

Tqvm for the advice. Will try my best to get it to eat. Although it is shy but its really a fish with class and style of its own. Really like

it a lot. Tried feeding with brine shrimp but it didnt show much interest. Will try mysis and cyclopeze :peace:

If you interested can pass you some brine shrimp eggs

for you to hatch into BBS

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member

Even when they feed regularly they tend to lose the original shine in the color. Have followed up and stopped brine shrimps and replaced with cyclopeeze for more than a month now, color the same but at least they look more active during feeding time. Problem is with the rocketing Phosphate and Nitrate in the tank due to the frequent feeding. Doing 20% water change weekly also cannot control.Will need to see what more can be done.

• SRC Member

This fishes r hard to keep fish in 1st place. Hear say even if eat also dun survive long etc.

It's luck I suppose. Some good luck wan will get good quality fishes lo n yes. Put more in it. More mates = less shy n stress...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• Senior Reefer

purple queen, purple anthias and evansi all share the same trait.

i.e, they need to be fed alot and consistantly.

2-3 feedings a day is usually not enough for them. the only ones that have known to survive long term (in terms of many many months to more than a year) are those that are kept in systems with continuous feeding via a drip system.

in public aquariums and tanks with continuous feeding of live baby brine shrimp, cyclopeeze etc via a pump, these anthias can survive well past what many reefers here deem as success (weeks to 1-2 months).

success is not deemed by a few days to a few weeks or a few months. these fishes can live for almost a decade or more in the wild and success should be counted from half a year onwards AT LEAST.

if you cannot provide the feedings that these anthias need, go for easier species like dispar, blue eye, bartletts etc. these are easier ones and can be fed 2-3 times a day.

• SRC Member

yup it's possible, but quite hard to make it feed, but there's always a chance.

you can soak the pellet in seamchem garlic and when feeding it with cyclopeeze, feed it together with the pellet.

one day you might see it eats :D:groupwavereversed: all the best! patience is the key