New Start-up & Water Change

hfabs

I just set up my tank about close to a month ago and only just started to stock up last weekend with some soft corals, LPS hard corals, and a few fishes (4 juvenile clowns and 2 juvenile blue Tangs).

Details of my tank are as follows: -

Size: 4ft x 2ft x 2.5ft

Return pump: German Ehiem pump 3400 litres/hr

Skimmer: Reef Octopus OCTX 160

Lighting: Solarmax 4ft MH 2 x t 150 watts MH and 2 x T5 lights

Wave maker: Ecotech Marine MP40W

Chilling System: Hailea chiller 300A

Seawater: filtered n treated seawater

Rocks: Live Rocks covered in purple coraline algae

The tank so far looks fine.

About 2 weeks ago, I added some tap water (set over night) to replace some evaporation and realised that tap water even if set over-night, chloramine will still be present. A grave mistake to my horror.

My query is: -

1) what should I use to replace evaporation instead of tap water?

2) When do i know is the time to change water and what salt mix should I use. I understand it is best I use it with distilled water.

3) Once I have changed water, what sort of water test should I conduct? (CA, MG, KH, NH, NO, PH, Salinity)

Looking forward to some guidance on the above. Many many thanks in advance.

: )

Mark

Description of my humble tank

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus OCTX 160

Return Pump - Germain Eheim pump 3400 litres/hr

Chiller - Hailea Chiller 300A

Wave Maker - Ecotech Marine MP40W

Lighting - Solarmax 4ft MH 2 x 150 watts & 2 x T5 lights

Date of Commission of Tank - 22 Dec 2010

Use RO/DI water, Natural Seawater or NTUC 3 x 1.5L for $1.15 (Any reefers know where can get even cheaper? :unsure: )

Do a weekly 10% water change? Not sure what salt, I think they are almost the same despite their claims on how high levels of trace elements they have!

• Like 2

Ukiya@ Thanks...alternatively I may just get treated seawater from Iwarna. Good day ahead : )

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

About 2 weeks ago, I added some tap water (set over night) to replace some evaporation and realised that tap water even if set over-night, chloramine will still be present. A grave mistake to my horror.

My query is: -

1) what should I use to replace evaporation instead of tap water?

2) When do i know is the time to change water and what salt mix should I use. I understand it is best I use it with distilled water.

3) Once I have changed water, what sort of water test should I conduct? (CA, MG, KH, NH, NO, PH, Salinity)

Hi and welcome to reefing. Btw how did u find out that cloramine still exist when u set the tap water overnight?

1) In anycase, the recommendation is to use DI unit with close to 0 TDS reading. Someone here is selling a crystal pro set at good price (no TDS meter though).. Comes with rowaphos too.. RO/DI also can but be prepared to waste some water. You can also use bottled distilled water or those huge gallon bottle for top up. Just remember not to use "mineral water"..

2) when to do water change (WC)? Recommendation is 10% weekly. Anything else is up to you. There's no real rules.. Cos Ive heard of some who do not need to change water for years!

3) usually test salinity. If u r particular (eg keep SPS) then u should check ca/kh/Mg. Which u would already be doing since SPS requires these 3 to be relatively constant.

Hope this helps. To sustain a good reef tank, always a good habit to keep these 4 elements in check. Plus ur temperature as well.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Barracuda@ Many thanks and I will take good heed of what you mentioned. Btw, how often you check your ca/kh/Mg? My salinity is around 1.023 and temp ard 27C.

Good day

Mark

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

• SRC Member

Get the RO/DI 5 stage filtration system from Garyj in this forum, comes with free TDS meter. It is a great kit. I use the water for a lot of stuff, including topping up my car batteries and car coolant. This kit can convert urine to pure water. NTUC mineral water does not promise no phosphates or nitrates, only no chlorine. The filtration system gives you pure water with 0 TDS.

• SRC Member

dude,

just for my understanding... do u mean 0 TDS = no nitrates/phosphate?

Btw: you don't need RO and DI to get 0 TDS... DI alone will give you 0 TDS.

0 TDS means nothing in the water - it is pure H2O. You don't need RO and DI to get 0 TDS, however, RO+DI will allow you to stretch your DI resins by a factor of 10-20 times.