Death of a Lemonpeel

Folks

need your advice. My Lemonpeel angel just upped the lorry this morning.

Some facts:

Lemonpeel has been with me for the past 8 months. Bought from a LFS. Feeding well since Day 1. Very active and alert. Except for Day 1 when it was harassed by my YT when it was introduced to the tank. Other than that it was never bullied and was happily swimming in my tank since.

Water parameters in check. PO4 a bit high (1 ppm) but I don't reckon that's the problem. The rest of the livestock seem ok.

Recent changes - did 20% WC using Iwarna NSW on Monday. Bought a small rock of Red Bamboo Algae for my YT and BT to munch on from Ah Beng last weekend, but removed it on Monday as it was already botak liao. Other than that, no new addition of livestock or corals for the past few months.

Observed my Lemonpeel to be listless yesterday morning. Refused to feed and was swimming funny in a vertical position for most of yesterday. I also noticed maroonish, velvety-reddish stains appearing on its body. I knew it would not live past the night as I remembered my previous Lemonpeel succumbing to the same mysterious disease over a year ago. True enough, I found it dead this morning.

Back then, Joe P suspected Velvet to be the cause for the death of my previous Lemonpeel based on what he heard from me, but did not have the benefit of looking at my tank and seeing the body. The scary thing was that following the death of my previous Lemonpeel, it took only less than 2 weeks or so for the remaining livestock to be wiped out.

Managed to take photos of the Lemonpeel's body this morning which I have attached. Notice the reddish stains on the body? They started appearing on it yesterday evening and were the exact same symptoms I observed on my previous Lemonpeel. Are they symptomatic of Velvet? Or some other disease?

Appreciate your views please. Thanks in advance!

post-17423-0-29173900-1296015218_thumb.j

post-17423-0-08677000-1296015259_thumb.j

" ... and the sea cucumber turns to the mollusk and says, 'With fronds like these, who needs anemones?' " -Marlin the Clownfish-

• Senior Reefer

ok first of all.

1ppm of phosphate is off the roof. normal phosphate readings should be 0. 0.1ppm is already considered super high. so you sure yours is 1ppm? or 0.1ppm.

it's not velvet. if it's velvet you will know. velvet appears as tiny white spots all over the body. it's much smaller than ich but more widespread and it covers the entire fish in a light dusty appearance, like velvet cloths. hence the name.

your lemonpeel died from bacterial infection, most probably uronema, which show symptoms like pale colouration and bloody streaks on the fish.

how many fish are you keeping in your tank.

what is your nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels?

is your tank very overstocked? a highly crowded tank with bad water parameters is a festing ground for disease. moreover i'm sure you don't quarantine your fish as with almost everyone else in our local reefing scene.

so we need the essential water chemistry listed above and tank information to properly diagnose your current problem, as well as helping you to prevent future mishaps.

• Senior Reefer

saw this in fish farmacy ... sorry fro your loss bro

post-17191-0-59763800-1296016328_thumb.j

yes.

as mentioned above, bacterial is most likely the case in which the lemonpeel died.

many bacterial infections manifest as bloody red streaks. uronema, bacterial septacemia too.

bacterial hemorrhage septicemia can kill a fish very quickly.

hemorrhage means the bleeding.

septicemia means an inflamation of the whole body which often includes blood poisoning.

bacterial simply means the infection is from bacteria.

• SRC Member

yes.

as mentioned above, bacterial is most likely the case in which the lemonpeel died.

many bacterial infections manifest as bloody red streaks. uronema, bacterial septacemia too.

bacterial hemorrhage septicemia can kill a fish very quickly.

hemorrhage means the bleeding.

septicemia means an inflamation of the whole body which often includes blood poisoning.

bacterial simply means the infection is from bacteria.

bro, with such, means this bacteria may be present in the water itself ? and i assume it's contagious that can spread to all other fishes. in such case, other than treating the fish, would need to do WC ? thanks.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• Senior Reefer

bro, with such, means this bacteria may be present in the water itself ? and i assume it's contagious that can spread to all other fishes. in such case, other than treating the fish, would need to do WC ? thanks.

bacteria will always be present in small amounts.

they go out of control and spread when water quality is low.

if you have good water parameters and do regular water changes, it should not be a problem.

My tank's PO4 reading according to the Salifert kit is 1 ppm. Off the roof. :( Trying to bring it down with WCs and controlled feeding. Was also gonna try out Goodbye PO4 when this death occurred.

Haven't tested the other parameters this morning but last week's test was 0 for both Ammonia and Nitrite. Nitrate 10 ppm. But that was last week. Didn't test following the death this morning since Ammonia would inevitably rise. Will do small 10% WC over the next few days and re-test again.

I've got 1 black clown, 2 false clowns, YT, and small sized PT and BT in the tank.

Thanks for the advice on the likely cause of death as well as the factors involved. Time to go back to the basics for me ...

" ... and the sea cucumber turns to the mollusk and says, 'With fronds like these, who needs anemones?' " -Marlin the Clownfish-

how big is the tank?

the PO4 is very high and should try bringing it down to as close as 0 as possible. although doesn't kill fish, it could be a stress factor.

Errr ... currently on a 2 footer. Yes too small for so many fish :(

Been trying hard to bring the PO4 level down lately like I said.

The 3 footer I took over from another reefer is in the midst of cycling, and am holding my livestock in the present tank (remember I asked you about holding the fish the other time over MSN?). Won't be another 2 months before I make the migration so I'm trying my best to ease the stress by 'correcting' the parameters in the current tank.

Really back to the basics of disciplined WCs, dilligent husbandry and good patience for me man.

• Senior Reefer

Errr ... currently on a 2 footer. Yes too small for so many fish :(

Been trying hard to bring the PO4 level down lately like I said.

The 3 footer I took over from another reefer is in the midst of cycling, and am holding my livestock in the present tank (remember I asked you about holding the fish the other time over MSN?). Won't be another 2 months before I make the migration so I'm trying my best to ease the stress by 'correcting' the parameters in the current tank.

Really back to the basics of disciplined WCs, dilligent husbandry and good patience for me man.

yup i remember.

i did not know you had so many fish and a small tank.

a 2ft tank is too small for the 3 tangs. the clowns are ok.

maybe u want to consider doing a large water change and sell the tangs away? they are common fishes and can be gotten again easily.

maybe u want to consider doing a large water change and sell the tangs away? they are common fishes and can be gotten again easily.

Would a 50% WC be too stressful for the livestock?

Yup I did consider selling the tangs away but it would be quite troublesome for me for reasons which I'll share with you offline.

Another option was for another friend to adopt them but his tank is in the midst of "resting" as well so not the appropriate time.

I'll see how best I can manage this.