ID for this Tang

Hi i found this interesting looking tang on LiveAquaria Diver's Den today, but because it was already sold i cant find any description on it on diver'sden or RSS feed,

it resembles a clown tang it terms of pattern and tail design but on closer inspection i notices its colour and pattern is more intense(which is what interest me), also compared to a clown tang, the head looks different..

could it be a variant species of a clown tank or a crossbreed?

hope you guys can help me id the fish as im really interested in it. Thank you

Oh and HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

regards.

post-10590-0-51029300-1296976846_thumb.p

post-10590-0-85125400-1296976866_thumb.p

post-10590-0-16542500-1296977549_thumb.p

post-10590-0-12288000-1296977577_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

here's a closer look of it..

it's darker because it's exhibiting it's stress colouration. clown tangs turn dark when stressed.

the lines on the face are very variable.. you can't expect every clowntang to be carbon copies. there's always slight variation.

it's a very normal, run of the mill clown tang. nothing special about it.

cheers.

oh yes, the photo you show of the clowntang is turning it's head slightly to it;s right. so it appears shorter than it normally is.

post-15755-0-88822000-1296978601_thumb.p

here's a closer look of it..

it's darker because it's exhibiting it's stress colouration. clown tangs turn dark when stressed.

the lines on the face are very variable.. you can't expect every clowntang to be carbon copies. there's always slight variation.

it's a very normal, run of the mill clown tang. nothing special about it.

cheers.

oh yes, the photo you show of the clowntang is turning it's head slightly to it;s right. so it appears shorter than it normally is.

oh. hahaha thanks for clearing that up! :)

oh well if only the colour it displays when stressed are its normal colouration, haha what a pity.

regards.

• Senior Reefer

oh. hahaha thanks for clearing that up! :)

oh well if only the colour it displays when stressed are its normal colouration, haha what a pity.

regards.

i like the stress colour as well. dark, makes the stripes stand out more.

Hi i found this interesting looking tang on LiveAquaria Diver's Den today, but because it was already sold i cant find any description on it on diver'sden or RSS feed,

it resembles a clown tang it terms of pattern and tail design but on closer inspection i notices its colour and pattern is more intense(which is what interest me), also compared to a clown tang, the head looks different..

could it be a variant species of a clown tank or a crossbreed?

hope you guys can help me id the fish as im really interested in it. Thank you

Oh and HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

regards.

Base on the forehead shape.. The left one could be generally from indo, right one r Maldives species. Just a rough guide.. Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• 2 weeks later...

i did not know and don't think there's geographical variation and head shape for clown tangs o.o

Some reference from WWM but not detail enough just pics. U can get books by Helmut & Rudie. They have more same species fishes from diff places and also depth of sea. Basically clown tang from Seychelles Indian Ocean species quite close similar to Indo Bali. I agree they could be similar shape in other nation. Like human, we can find Chinese in USA and Indian in China. But in general I believe the main population distribution. Just a rough guide to me... Sometime, I see until my eye blur...

post-9248-0-41209600-1298395243_thumb.jppost-9248-0-49457500-1298395268_thumb.jp

note* there is some more variation from diff places....

Cheers... :cheers:

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Some reference from WWM but not detail enough just pics. U can get books by Helmut & Rudie. They have more same species fishes from diff places and also depth of sea. Basically clown tang from Seychelles Indian Ocean species quite close similar to Indo Bali. I agree they could be similar shape in other nation. Like human, we can find Chinese in USA and Indian in China. But in general I believe the main population distribution. Just a rough guide to me... Sometime, I see until my eye blur...

hey CFOh, may i know where i can get these books? or any book on reefs( corals) in particular?

borders?

hey CFOh, may i know where i can get these books? or any book on reefs( corals) in particular?

borders?

Hi, In general I found Rudie H Kuiter & Helmut Debelius books are interesting... For Tangs family you can try this book:

Surgeonfishes, Rabbitfishes & their relatives

post-9248-0-27428100-1298549969_thumb.jp

Beside above, they do have Angelfishes, Basslets, Wrasses, Seahorse, inverts, Nudis etc.. specialize books..

For various fishes ID.. I like Dr. Burgess's Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes Guide

post-9248-0-70753800-1298550718_thumb.jp

For reefs(corals & fishhes) I suggested below:

Aquarium - Reef Secrets by A.J. Nielsen & S.A. Fossa

post-9248-0-76348600-1298550329_thumb.jp

For reefs(corals only), you may try this one....

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman

post-9248-0-71643300-1298551028_thumb.jp

&

The Reef Aquarium, Volume 1,2 & 3 by J. Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung

post-9248-0-84272100-1298552641_thumb.jppost-9248-0-39929900-1298552675_thumb.jppost-9248-0-88404900-1298552708_thumb.jp

And for the reef natural instinct explanation & Why? & How?.. u can try below... very interesting.... :thumbsup:

post-9248-0-54212200-1298551459_thumb.jp

Still a lot good books on reef topic.... :) Cheers & Happy Reefing...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

Some books are v v inaccurate. Best to get books by credible scientists like debelius, Randall, tanaka, Pyle, kuiter etc.

Ive seen some books that say tinkeri butterfly is from the red sea...

If u want v v specialized book on wrasse, u can borrow from me or buy from rudie kuiter himself by sending him post to australia. Book is extremely comprehensive but may be too scientific to understand.

• 3 weeks later...