strange encounters with maxspect

hmkui

• SRC Member

Hi all... just got a maxspect 230w from reefer... but something strange happen... whenever the maxspect is on.. my chiller temperature reading go haywire... the readings jump from around.. varies a few degree different... but whenever the maxspect is off.. my chiller temperature reading goes back to normal...

the maxspect got stray currents... will it affects the temperature thermostat... need expert advise on this matters...

anyone can help???...

• SRC Member

To isolate the problem, did you try attaching the maxspect to a different power source from other parts of your house? (Use extenstion cord if required to)

yup trying to plug to a different power source but still encounter the problem... and i started to isolate the problem by switching the maxspect switch individually.. and discover that when the 3w white is on... the chiller reading go haywire... does anyone encounter such problems.. previous owner had encounter such problems and he resolve the issue by turning to another power source... which what i have did.. but dont seem to resolve the matter... so hope someone can advise me what to do with similar situation... thanks

• SRC Member

is it leaking electricity to the tank causing it to happen? yea since under warranty better do a check with DE

hi bro... i dont think is the leaking of the electricity... it might be due to the drawing of the electricity of the maxspect that causes the flutuation of the thermostat reading... cos everytime i off the maxspect the chiller temperature reading is back to normal... i did prompt DE but so far no response from them yet... and no answer to that yet... the previous owner did have the same problem... and it was reflected to DE... too bad i wasnt informed abt it... but will try to resolve the issue my side here...

• SRC Member

I used to have that, managed to finally solve it by hooking my chiller up to a external temp controller. My maxspect is 'leaking' current too. Can feel some shock when I touch the mounting rails, especially if my hands are wet.

A Little Stress-Relieving Fish Tank

• SRC Member

It is those 3 pin type. But not sure if there is a earth wire connected.

I figure may have to run a additional wire to earth it if there isnt one.

Or just dun touch it when its on. Haha.

A Little Stress-Relieving Fish Tank

• SRC Member

It is those 3 pin type. But not sure if there is a earth wire connected.

I figure may have to run a additional wire to earth it if there isnt one.

Or just dun touch it when its on. Haha.

hmm if it's 3 pin it still leaks out electricity?

werid.. any electrician here?haha

post-15831-0-85089200-1297577932_thumb.g

• SRC Member

well.. for stray current it may not be from the plug but it may also from the light set itself.. which explain why we can feel electric currents on the set... this is something i feel disappointed since i have high hopes on the light set... but all this stray current is something which i can still accept.. it is the discrepancies which happen to the chiller thermostat... i cant use a external thermostat cos the chiller can only tune down to 25degrees... and the fluatuation can varies 3 degrees... imagine the chiller on at 27 degrees and off at 26 degrees in a matter of few seconds.. if this keep going the chiller will bound to spoilt... sighhh... damn sian...

• 1 month later...

well.. for stray current it may not be from the plug but it may also from the light set itself.. which explain why we can feel electric currents on the set... this is something i feel disappointed since i have high hopes on the light set... but all this stray current is something which i can still accept.. it is the discrepancies which happen to the chiller thermostat... i cant use a external thermostat cos the chiller can only tune down to 25degrees... and the fluatuation can varies 3 degrees... imagine the chiller on at 27 degrees and off at 26 degrees in a matter of few seconds.. if this keep going the chiller will bound to spoilt... sighhh... damn sian...

Hi, can share what chiller u using? Thx...

Main Tank: 4x2x2 with 5 FT Piano Finishing Cabinet

Sump Tank: 32" by 18" by 16"

Arctica Chiller 1/4 HP DBE 200

Vortech MP40wES Wavemaker

Skimz 201 Skimmer

DE Lighting Retro Fit 6x54W T5 tubes

Eheim 1264 Chiller and Return Pump

American Pinpoint PH and Temperature Monitor

KDK 15WUD Chiller Compartment Fan

Tunze Osmolator ATO