Hana phosphorus tester

• SRC Member

I understand some of us is using distill water as an alternative to ro water to be use in the tank as to be free from phosphate .

Came across that some of u went to purchase ntuc distill water.

However this evening I went To purchase a bottle to try. I test it with the above tester and the result was 200 blinking.

Which according to my understanding is too high beyond the testernis able to read.

So I wish to ask bro/SIS here that have the tester to verify. Was it my tester that is having issue or was it the phosphate level is that high.

• SRC Member

200ppm is very very high...unless it's supposed to be 200ppb instead =P

if using the regular salifert PO4 test for that batch of water should be able to tell there's phospahte already

Funny part is that using test kit, result is Zero. However I am using tap water which I know it is impossible.

You are using Phosphorus checker instead of Phosphate checker.

To convert from the phosphorus to phosphate, you multiply by 3.066 and then as the phosphorus is in ppb, you would divide by 1000 to get ppm.

So if you got a phosphorus reading of 200ppb

200x3.066 = 613.2 part per billion phosphate

divide by 1000 = 0.6132ppm phosphate

• SRC Member

tap water? didn't you mention that you were testing the distilled water you bought from ntuc?

Yeah I did. The tapwater was referring to the water already inside my tank. I wanted to test it before introducing Distill water.

Then I tested both the NTUC and my tank's water separately and realise both reading is above 200 thus didnt proceed with the distill water.

You are using Phosphorus checker instead of Phosphate checker.

To convert from the phosphorus to phosphate, you multiply by 3.066 and then as the phosphorus is in ppb, you would divide by 1000 to get ppm.

So if you got a phosphorus reading of 200ppb

200x3.066 = 613.2 part per billion phosphate

divide by 1000 = 0.6132ppm phosphate

Now all start to make sense. Haiz.....Meant that the Bulk order person gave me the wrong item.

In Short, the Phosphorus Tester is unable to do reading beyond 0.6ppm since 200 is the max it can go.

• Like 1

Now all start to make sense. Haiz.....Meant that the Bulk order person gave me the wrong item.

In Short, the Phosphorus Tester is unable to do reading beyond 0.6ppm since 200 is the max it can go.

I would say the purpose of having such tester is to test the phosphrous/phosphate concentrations to the lowest resolution as possible. That's why it is designed to test at low level concentration level of <200ppb (~0.6ppm). If you prefer to test at higher concentration, might as well just use the usual colour indicator tester...

Reason why some prefer using the phosphrous tester instead of the phosphate tester is because the former can test to a lower concentration than the latter.

From Glassbox:

Their new Checker HI736 ULR model reads traces of phosphorus to the parts-per-billion, or PPB. Yes, that’s 1/1,000th of a PPM. And best of all the Checker HI736 ULR (Phosphorus) is priced the same as the HI 713 (Phosphate) PPM resolution colorimeter–$49.99.

Compare the Checker HI736 (PPB) model to the H713 (PPM) below.The accuracy (precision) is much improved on the HI736 ULR model despite the broader P capture.

hanna-checker-HI-736.jpg

• SRC Member

I would say the purpose of having such tester is to test the phosphrous/phosphate concentrations to the lowest resolution as possible. That's why it is designed to test at low level concentration level of <200ppb (~0.6ppm). If you prefer to test at higher concentration, might as well just use the usual colour indicator tester...

Reason why some prefer using the phosphrous tester instead of the phosphate tester is because the former can test to a lower concentration than the latter.

From Glassbox:

Their new Checker HI736 ULR model reads traces of phosphorus to the parts-per-billion, or PPB. Yes, that’s 1/1,000th of a PPM. And best of all the Checker HI736 ULR (Phosphorus) is priced the same as the HI 713 (Phosphate) PPM resolution colorimeter–$49.99.

Compare the Checker HI736 (PPB) model to the H713 (PPM) below.The accuracy (precision) is much improved on the HI736 ULR model despite the broader P capture.

hanna-checker-HI-736.jpg

What u mention does make sense.thanks dude.