Test Kits

J_Vansen_S

Hi all;

I am planning to get test kits for my tank

What brand of test kits do you guys use for testing Calcium, Alk, Magnesium~?

Any recommended accurate kits?

Where can i buy them

Also do u guys use a refractometer? Everyone says hydrometer r highly inaccurate..Zzz

Quite a number here use Salifert which is pretty accurate for marine use, stores selling marine stocks or the more popular ones should carry.

As for hydrometer, it depends on what you intend to keep and the accuracy you want to have. Some reputable brand of hydrometer does it job. Even with one that isn't giving you the right reading, if you are able to obtain some water samples, you can adjust/"calibrate" by using that mark as your desired reading :)

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

• SRC Member

Using API test kit. Salifert is quite ex but I guess it is reputable. For NO2/NH3/NO3/Ca/PO4 quite common to get and not so impt to get a very accurate test kit...but if say testing for Copper... then better invest in a more "reliable" test kit... else life stock can be in danger.

For Hydrometer or refractometer ... budget is one things but Hydrometer sometimes not so "reliable" although is is cheap and in most cases suits the application. I started with a Hydrometer and later bought a refractometer when it became available in the pasar malam section.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...