EVIL sexy shrimp!

samuel88

hi, i'd just like to share some things that i found out about these supposedly reef safe shrimps

yesterday i put in 3 bird nest coral frags, 1 monti digitata, and 2 plating montiporas into my sexy shrimp tank, the moment i put them in, the sexies started to crawl all over them, they only gave the plating monti and digitata a little browse, but they went CRAZY over the birdnest coral,i took out 2 frags to put into another tank just in case, and sure enough, the next morning the frag that i left in the tank, was STRIPPED BARE, (completely white!)

i googled a bit about it, and it seems that they have a taste for birdnest corals even when they were well fed.

previously i had mushrooms as well, i have green striped, blue, brown, and orange mushrooms. and they seem to love nibbling at thy green and blue ones, while leaving the orange and brown ones alone mostly.

so the thing i wanna say is, they may be reef safe, but they certainly have a taste for certain corals.

hi, i'd just like to share some things that i found out about these supposedly reef safe shrimpsyesterday i put in 3 bird nest coral frags, 1 monti digitata, and 2 plating montiporas into my sexy shrimp tank, the moment i put them in, the sexies started to crawl all over them, they only gave the plating monti and digitata a little browse, but they went CRAZY over the birdnest coral,i took out 2 frags to put into another tank just in case, and sure enough, the next morning the frag that i left in the tank, was STRIPPED BARE, (completely white!)i googled a bit about it, and it seems that they have a taste for birdnest corals even when they were well fed.previously i had mushrooms as well, i have green striped, blue, brown, and orange mushrooms. and they seem to love nibbling at thy green and blue ones, while leaving the orange and brown ones alone mostly.so the thing i wanna say is, they may be reef safe, but they certainly have a taste for certain corals.

They were never reef safe in the first place but with caution, they will nip on on corals if not well fed. And really have to make sure they ARE well fed. I kept them for 3 months already. I did notice they were plucking and nipping on the zoas at first. So I tried feeding my fishes more often and the shrimps stopped and start eating whatever food that drops around them. And hasn't been any problems so far, planning to add more of them :thumbsup:

They were never reef safe in the first place but with caution, they will nip on on corals if not well fed. And really have to make sure they ARE well fed. I kept them for 3 months already. I did notice they were plucking and nipping on the zoas at first. So I tried feeding my fishes more often and the shrimps stopped and start eating whatever food that drops around them. And hasn't been any problems so far, planning to add more of them :thumbsup:

many books and sites list them as reef safe though, have you tried birdnest coral? i swear to god they really especially like to eat birdnest. last night saw all 5 of mine on top of the coral thought they were just 'cleaning' it. so sad. the other corals they harrassed didn't get wiped clean like the birdnest.

many books and sites list them as reef safe though, have you tried birdnest coral? i swear to god they really especially like to eat birdnest. last night saw all 5 of mine on top of the coral thought they were just 'cleaning' it. so sad. the other corals they harrassed didn't get wiped clean like the birdnest.

If you google more about them they actually like to pick on zoas more as they slime up easily and the shrimps like that. I personally have one small birdnest frag hasn't been any problems so far. Maybe try getting them to host on a coral? It'll be easier to kept they well fed! My shrimps host on torch coral.

If you google more about them they actually like to pick on zoas more as they slime up easily and the shrimps like that. I personally have one small birdnest frag hasn't been any problems so far. Maybe try getting them to host on a coral? It'll be easier to kept they well fed! My shrimps host on torch coral.

hmmmmm, yeah i have been thinking about getting them a host coral, but i'm worried they'll eat the host too, haha. time to go coral shopping!

• SRC Member

Hahaha.. Interesting reply by bro yellowtang.. Cracked me

up lol..

Anyway I am also keeping sexies and will be keeping a close

eye on them.. The one in my frag tank with zoas seemed

to be leaving the zoas alone.. But the ones in main tank are indeed coral bullies

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen