ELECTION DAY !!! Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̄&#8

kueytoc

• SRC Member

:welldone:Gov’t has created TWO Singapores: NSP’s Tony Tan

By Jeanette Tan | SingaporeScene – 2 hours 18 minutes ago

The government's policies have led to a growing rift in Singapore society, says National Solidarity Party (NSP) candidate for Chua Chu Kang GRC Tony Tan Lay Thiam.

Singapore's leaders and its wealthy and talented, high-income earners who live in the first, "exclusive" Singapore are increasingly drifting away from "the other" Singapore, made up of middle- to low-income earners who Tan says struggle with rising costs of living and little savings.

Speaking after the NSP rally at Chua Chu Kang stadium on Tuesday night, Tan told Yahoo! Singapore that he was concerned for Singapore, as the division he observes is not good for the country.

"I see big storm clouds ahead, challenges that are not going to go away," he said. "Singaporeans need to follow, accept and work together with their leaders in order for the country to succeed."

He believes a combination of the incumbent government's million-dollar paycheques and the setting of performance indicators to Gross Development Product (GDP) growth, which ministerial bonuses are pegged to, are two key things hindering the progression of a "united Singapore".

"There is a disconnect between the leaders who are drawing millions of dollars in pay, and ordinary Singaporeans who don't understand the justification for their salaries," said the ex-government scholar.

The solution to this problem? Get us involved, said Tan, whose NSP team will be going up against a PAP team led by Gan Kim Yong in the GRC.

"What are the PAP's constraints for the country? What issues are they facing in policy implementation?" he asked, explaining also that Singapore is now split into two because it suffers a lack of a vision that excites all Singaporeans.

Comparing this to a newly-independent Singapore in 1965, Tan said that back then, the vision of "making it, despite being small" was a common aspiration for all Singaporeans, at every level.

"The leadership sees GDP growth as the answer, ordinary Singaporeans do not. We have to tell them that," he said during his fiery rally speech.

What helps, however, says Tan, is that the idea of Singaporeans joining the opposition is becoming increasingly normalised, an example of the people's interest in having a larger stake in the country and how it is run.

"I see myself as having two roles: that of a window cleaner -- to increase the clarity of policies made in government -- and a door opener, to let more people participate in our country's affairs," he said.

Graduating university student and Choa Chu Kang resident Owen Lim, 24, agrees with Tan's claims of two separate societies emerging in Singapore.

"It's a reality," he says. "When I worked part-time in different companies while studying, I encountered people from each of these Singapores."

"The government continues to look at things from the top-down view, and doesn't experience our plight," he added.

Ultimately, however, he remains unsure if the NSP team will be able to deliver on the promises tabled in their rally speeches -- these include having Meet the People sessions four times a week, defending residents' interests and asking tough questions in parliament.

"While I do want to vote for change, I am not that confident in their ability to change as yet," he said.

post-2609-0-42827200-1304480825_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:cheers:Singapore's LEE Unopposed, but PARTY faces Challenge

By Raju Gopalakrishnan | Reuters – Wed, Apr 27, 2011

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Lee Kuan Yew, the founder of modern Singapore, was returned unopposed to parliament on Wednesday, but his long-ruling People's Action Party (PAP) faces its toughest ever challenge at the polls from the city-state's tiny opposition.

Eighty-two of the 87 seats in parliament will be contested in the general election on May 7, state media reported after nominations closed, the highest number ever. The only exception was the 5-seat constituency where Lee and four other PAP candidates were declared elected unopposed.

"I would have welcomed a contest," said the frail-looking, 87-year-old Lee, dressed in trademark white shirt and trousers. "I assure you I will look after you for the next five years."

Hundreds of PAP workers shouted and waved party flags as Lee, "minister mentor" in the cabinet, walked back slowly but unaided to his car after the nominations closed.

There is no suggestion the PAP could lose power. The party won 82 of the 84 seats in the last election, but faces criticism from voters over a surge in housing prices and the high cost of living, despite steering the economy out of recession in 2009 to last year's record 14.5 percent growth.

Lee was prime minister from independence in 1965 until 1990, and his son, Lee Hsien Loong, is the current prime minister. The elder Lee is credited with the transformation of Singapore from a third-world, newly independent backwater into the shiny first-world financial centre it is today.

"Do not rock this foundation. Remember where Singapore came from and how difficult it was that we have got to where we are," he said in a statement this week. "In the heat and dust of this election, do not risk your assets, property values, job opportunities. Make the right choice."

Despite its stellar growth, opponents have criticised Singapore's restrictions on political freedoms and on the press. The PAP's near monopoly in previous elections has in part resulted from scores of walkovers in constituencies that the opposition did not contest.

This time the Workers' Party, the largest of the clutch of opposition groups, has said it is aiming to win one multi-seat constituency, or five seats.

It has put up its biggest stars -- Chairwoman Sylvia Lim, sitting MP Low Thia Khiang and corporate lawyer Chen Show Mao -- into the same constituency, which is likely to be the most keenly watched of all the contests.

There was some controversy over the walkover in Lee's constituency. An opposition alliance filed nomination papers but election officials said they did not do so within the allotted time.

"It's a feeble effort to show that they wanted to contest," Lee said. "But everybody knows if you want to contest you go before 12 o'clock."

(Additional reporting by Kevin Lim and Walter Sim; Editing by Alex Richardson)

• SRC Member

Opposition intends to give a "wake up call" to PAP.. so PM has apologize for the short coming... Opposition has achieved their Goal. Mr Low replied is too late???? Hello, with his words, What is Mr Low real motive and intention? Making use of the current situation and grap power??? and along it comes $$$.

1. He has "slap the driver", driver woken up.

2. Now he is co pilot, He is telling the captain " IS TOO LATE!!"

wat the.....

if voters don't see there is a hidden agenda of Mr Low, Singaporean deserve the worse.

• SRC Member

:pirate:COMMENT from Oops.. 1 hour ago

Dear PAP ministers,

Stop taking long working holidays away from singapore.

Every now and then do take the MRT to feel and see for yourself how singapore is flooded with your so-called-foreign-talent!

Go have a night out with the boys and you will prolly get racist remarks abused by angmohs.

Putting 2 kids to school and taking care of your aging parents on less than $2,000 per month is your song of a first world country? If it is than I wish I am living back in the 1960's, life is so easier than without the PAP propaganda.

Hard working singaporean are saying that "it is better to be dead than to be sick in singapore!"

Did you hear that in the kopi shop talk when you are doing your once in 5years walkabout?

I heard you, the ruling party, what you are saying that PAP is good for singapore.

But I think singapore is NOT good enough for PAP, so please leave singapore and sell your propaganda elsewhere.

Singapore is NOT a company!! Singapore belongs to singaporeans and NOT to the PAP CEO's!

PAP, I beg you please leave gracefully before more divorces, sucides and broken homes!!

You have rape singaporeans for far too long, and enuf is enuf!!

Good Bye PAP!

• SRC Member

:blink:NSP candidate accused of INDISCRETIONS

By Ewen Boey | SingaporeScene – Wed, May 4, 2011

A former student of National Solidarity Party(NSP) candidate Spencer Ng Chung Hon has accused him of crossing the boundaries of the teacher-student relationship.

The 20-year-old girl came forward after ex-teacher Ng, 31, revealed to the media last week that he had left the profession due to accusations of indiscretion in school.

The girl contacted The New Paper (TNP) and said she wanted the truth told.

She claimed that the incidents happened in 2007, when she was 16 and in Secondary 4. <_<

She told the paper Ng took her to school in the mornings and gave her roses on Valentine's Day. They also went on movie dates and nice dinners -- all paid by him -- and strolls in the park or by the beach.

They held hands and hugged, and once, he even tried to kiss her on the lips but she rebuffed him.

The principal of the school confirmed that Ng had been suspended while under investigation for inappropriate behaviour with a student.

"He resigned before the investigations were completed," the principal told the same paper in an email on Tuesday.

Ng said that he had quit because he wanted to explore other options after feeling jaded and unappreciated despite his contributions to the school.

The probe began when another teacher confiscated the girl's mobile phone and read the SMS exchanges between her and Ng.

When asked to comment on the student's claims, Ng said, "I have already given my side of the story.

"Now I just want to focus on the policies. I can't make any comments on her allegations. I regret that such things have to happen during our campaign with only three more days to go to Polling Day."

However, Ng could not help but feel that he had "dragged his team down in the campaign". The other candidates running for Marine Parade GRC are Ivan Yeo, Abdul Salim Harun, Cheo Chai Chen and Nicole Seah.

"After so many years, we have moved on. I had returned to teaching (in another school) and I have shown good results," said Ng, responding to why he did not inform party chief Goh Meng Seng about this before he joined NSP.

Goh said, "As far as I am concerned, there is nothing conclusive. Everybody is innocent unless proven guilty. Unless you are telling me that the school has sacked him or if they have a record of his misbehaviour, since the investigation is not conclusive, what is there to comment?"

post-2609-0-26215800-1304502515_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:evil:COMMENT from Dracon The Learner 2 hours ago

"He resigned before the investigations were completed," the principal told the same paper in an email on Tuesday.

Strange...is it an illegal thing...if it is...then the principal can call him back to finish the investigation and file a proper police report.

If it is not, then there is nothing to say that he act illegally. Both party like each other, the gal went out on many dates with him willingly. Obviously the gal like him then.

Please lor..He is only 27 then...still very much a young adult who is maybe not too wise with the world and at that age is also anxious to look for a girlfriend. Maybe he was not too wise to choose his student but that is young people...they do stupid thing.

Why use that to condemn a young man unless PAP find that he is a threat.

Four years also want to dig out. Then all citizens and supporters of NSP..let us dig out all the mistakes and silly thing that the ministers do and then publish it lor. Incidentally, this also cancel all the apolo---- of the PM.

:blink:NSP candidate accused of INDISCRETIONS

By Ewen Boey | SingaporeScene – Wed, May 4, 2011

A former student of National Solidarity Party(NSP) candidate Spencer Ng Chung Hon has accused him of crossing the boundaries of the teacher-student relationship.

The 20-year-old girl came forward after ex-teacher Ng, 31, revealed to the media last week that he had left the profession due to accusations of indiscretion in school.

The girl contacted The New Paper (TNP) and said she wanted the truth told.

She claimed that the incidents happened in 2007, when she was 16 and in Secondary 4. <_<

She told the paper Ng took her to school in the mornings and gave her roses on Valentine's Day. They also went on movie dates and nice dinners -- all paid by him -- and strolls in the park or by the beach.

They held hands and hugged, and once, he even tried to kiss her on the lips but she rebuffed him.

The principal of the school confirmed that Ng had been suspended while under investigation for inappropriate behaviour with a student.

Ng said that he had quit because he wanted to explore other options after feeling jaded and unappreciated despite his contributions to the school.

The probe began when another teacher confiscated the girl's mobile phone and read the SMS exchanges between her and Ng.

When asked to comment on the student's claims, Ng said, "I have already given my side of the story.

"Now I just want to focus on the policies. I can't make any comments on her allegations. I regret that such things have to happen during our campaign with only three more days to go to Polling Day."

However, Ng could not help but feel that he had "dragged his team down in the campaign". The other candidates running for Marine Parade GRC are Ivan Yeo, Abdul Salim Harun, Cheo Chai Chen and Nicole Seah.

"After so many years, we have moved on. I had returned to teaching (in another school) and I have shown good results," said Ng, responding to why he did not inform party chief Goh Meng Seng about this before he joined NSP.

Goh said, "As far as I am concerned, there is nothing conclusive. Everybody is innocent unless proven guilty. Unless you are telling me that the school has sacked him or if they have a record of his misbehaviour, since the investigation is not conclusive, what is there to comment?"

• SRC Member

Opposition intends to give a "wake up call" to PAP.. so PM has apologize for the short coming... Opposition has achieved their Goal. Mr Low replied is too late???? Hello, with his words, What is Mr Low real motive and intention? Making use of the current situation and grap power??? and along it comes $$$.

1. He has "slap the driver", driver woken up.

2. Now he is co pilot, He is telling the captain " IS TOO LATE!!"

wat the.....

if voters don't see there is a hidden agenda of Mr Low, Singaporean deserve the worse.

he has not receive the driving licence yet...haha...

lose billions of dollars and say sorry can solve all problem and pacify Singaporeans?

His daddy is going to bring in another 900k foreign workers and they are going to lax the rules to give foreigners voting rights...good luck to u if u r still believing pap to give yr children good life...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

:friends:PAP’s accusation a ‘PERSONAL ATTACK’ : WP’s LOW

By Fann Sim | SingaporeScene – Wed, May 4, 2011

Worker's Party (WP) chief Low Thia Khiang has hit back at People's Action Party (PAP)

candidate Lim Hwee Hua for accusing Hougang Town Council of keeping messy financial

accounts.

Lim, who is part of the PAP team contesting in Aljunied GRC, had earlier questioned Low over

the transparency and accountability of Hougang Town Council's accounts.

She also asked if the Worker's Party is capable of running a bigger estate.

"Is it messy or are they holding back till after the elections so that whoever wins Hougang

will then inherit the accounts? The Worker's Party has always emphasised transparency and

accountability of the town council.

"It is very perplexing why they have kept very quiet," said the Minister in the Prime

Minister's Office and Second Minister for Finance and Transport.

However, speaking to an estimated crowd of 15,000 at the WP rally at Sengkang on Tuesday

evening, Low hit back at Lim's comments and said it was a "personal attack to discredit his

character and capabilities".

Said the WP chief: "Do you believe if Hougang's accounts are messy, I can win Hougang for 20

years?"

Low, who is part of WP's 'A' team that is contesting the hotseat of Aljunied GRC, went on to

explain the stringent auditing process all town councils in Singapore, including Hougang, go

through.

He explained that town councils are audited by an external auditor approved by the Ministry

of National Development. Once the audit is completed, the account will be sent to the

Ministry's Auditor-General for approval before they are presented and circulated to all

members of Parliament.

"If the account is messy, as what she claimed, then why would Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew

and the Auditor-General approve it? Are they sleeping?" questioned Low, with his comments

drawing a loud cheer from the crowd.

"Moreover, Mrs Lim would have received a copy of Hougang Town Council's report. She has not

made any observations earlier. Why shoot such irresponsible comments on me now," he said.

Low added that the Hougang Town Council was one of the those that did not make any losses

during the 2008 Lehman Brothers crisis, highlighting two other town councils that sunk S$12

million in Lehman-related products.

Touching on the privatisation issue of HUDC flats in Hougang Ave 7, he explained that when

he took over Hougang Town Council in 1991, the HUDC flats and other normal flats were taken

in as one single account under Hougang Town Council.

However, after the announcement of privatisation on 23 August 2010, the accounts of the HUDC

flats will be segregated from Hougang Town Council's accounts.

The expenses contributed by the blocks will have to be attributed to their own accounts. He

added that Hougang Town Council is in the process of capturing expenditure by the HUDC

blocks. Once the data-collection is completed and presented in Parliament, the Town Council

will answer to the pro-term committee.

Low noted that the duration of legally privatising an estate is about two-and-a-half years

and the pro-term committee were informed of the processes.

"Therefore, we have done everything correctly. Why does Mrs Lim Hwee Hua decide to take up

the case and suggest that the account of Hougang Town Council is messy and I, as chairman of

Hougang Town Council, have done something wrong? I leave it to you to guess her intentions,"

he said.

At the end of his speech, Low told the crowd that if the PAP suspected him of doing

something to the accounts, they can report him to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau

(CPIB).

"Do not hoodwink the voters at this critical time when Polling Day is near," he warned.

Also speaking at the rally, WP candidate Pritam Singh suggested that Singapore is ready for

a female Prime Minister.

Referring to women as equal Singaporeans and "co-driver" of every successful relationship,

Singh commented on a resident who suggested that Singapore is ready for a non-Chinese Prime

Minister.

"I am comfortable and confident with a Prime Minister from any race. But if it was a man, I

would want him to complete his national service," said Singh, reinforcing WP secretary-

general Low's call on Monday for a change in the Constitution so that all male election

candidates will have to serve National Service first before being eligible for election.

After sharing with the crowd his list of capable female Members of Parliament from the PAP

-- including Halimah Yacob and Indranee Rajah -- as possible candidates to be Prime

Minister, he spoke on the prospect of his party chairman Sylvia Lim as another candidate for

the role.

Describing her as "honest, forthright, energetic and fearless", he said, "As an NCMP in the

last five years, she has asked more questions in Parliament than many PAP MPs."

post-2609-0-92331700-1304503297_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

he has not receive the driving licence yet...haha...

lose billions of dollars and say sorry can solve all problem and pacify Singaporeans?

His daddy is going to bring in another 900k foreign workers and they are going to lax the rules to give foreigners voting rights...good luck to u if u r still believing pap to give yr children good life...

I'm ok. I only pity the "cannot make it singaporean". Hope you are not one of them.

Whoever comes to power. To me, I'm only watching a movie. Make some comments. Thats about it. What will come will come. I cannot change human hearts.

But i do know our neighbour is going to laugh at us, singaporean. From the beginning, they kick us out, confidently said we cannot make it. Mr Low has divided singapore into 2 groups. Now we are fighting each other. Have u learn about strategy? what is the best strategy to fight an enemy? Use whatever method to make them fight among themselves, right? We will be a disgrace to the relatives up there.

If Mr Low has a Singaporean heart and wise and wants to be a team player to keep Singapore going. He would not divide us into 2. He has succeeded in making his fellow workers n supporters to do the job(hidden agenda???) with his charisma. should i say well done, you all opposition supporters? or should i pity all the cannot make it Singaporeans?? Be very sure, the rich, intelligent and investors will leave the very moment they smell smoke. Cos they are not stupid, you know.

Should it happen, i sure would love to see from abroad how Mr Low is going to find jobs for you all.

1. "lose billions of dollars and say sorry can solve all problem and pacify Singaporeans?" Unless you are expecting or think or believe PAP is God and not humans. I would agree with you. But from what i see after the experience, they did quite well. Billions is nothing if u compare to Americans n Japan. They have the very talented ppl. Do you know how much debt they are in??

2. "His daddy is going to bring in another 900k foreign workers and they are going to lax the rules to give foreigners voting rights...good luck to u if u r still believing pap to give yr children good life..." Well, if FT becomes singaporean.. they have every right. to. Are WE not FT too?? Our chinese father come from China, just in case you forget our roots. (ops, if u are a chinese).

the poor can never understand how the rich think

the rich can never understand how the poor feel

and to make matter worse, singaporean are selfish

singapore has lost to singaporean

• SRC Member

To end my part in this discussion, im directing at the issue. Nothing personal.

It is my sincere wish that Singapore will still be 1 nation after this GE.

MAJULAH SINGAPOREAN!

I should end my sharing here. Nice talk, Ah Siang. My best wishes in all you do.

God bless. ^_____^

• SRC Member

the poor can never understand how the rich think

the rich can never understand how the poor feel

and to make matter worse, singaporean are selfish

singapore has lost to singaporean

Haha. U joining in too har? The poor MUST first look at themselve Y they don't study hard when they r young. They reap Wat they sow.

Teach their children with their experience as a mature adult. Make do with Wat u hv. Be it self study or skill to improve.

Each family will look after theirs. U can't expect other to look after yours, right? U expect the rich to support Ur family?

Gov has done their part by creating jobs n spur n likewise programme. So, do Ur part.

I end here Liao.

• SRC Member

Haha. U joining in too har? The poor MUST first look at themselve Y they don't study hard when they r young. They reap Wat they sow.

Teach their children with their experience as a mature adult. Make do with Wat u hv. Be it self study or skill to improve.

Each family will look after theirs. U can't expect other to look after yours, right? U expect the rich to support Ur family?

Gov has done their part by creating jobs n spur n likewise programme. So, do Ur part.

I end here Liao.

Let's not be too insensitive about this shall we? Think some of what you have said is uncalled for.

• SRC Member

:pinch:George Yeo: We need a ‘transformed’ PAP

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – 50 minutes ago

As he embarked on the "most intense" election campaign in his political career and observed the "outpouring of pent-up emotion" from voters, Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo and his team came to a conclusion: "The PAP must be transformed."

Acknowledging the "resentment against the government", the Minister who is heading the People's Action Party's Aljunied GRC team said, the PAP government needs to exercise "flexibility" in its programmes and treat its citizens as "human beings".

The government needs to learn how to communicate with and engage its people, in particular the young, so that Singaporeans do not feel helpless, he said in a heartfelt address at the party's last rally at Ubi on Thursday evening.

He raised the difficulties and sorrows people face, such as the rising cost of living and health care costs.

He recognised that Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's comments that Aljunied GRC residents who voted for the Workers' Party would have have five years to repent had "created greater anger, greater resentment in many people".

And Minster Yeo pledged, the Aljunied team, if elected, would "be your voice in government".

It was a message some other Aljunied GRC candidates had for voters too - that they would "listen hard" to the people.

The other candidates in this hotly contest GRC, where the PAP only scraped through with 56.09 per cent of the vote sin GE 2006, are Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Zainul Abidin Rasheed, Minister Lim Hwee Hua, Cynthia Phua and new candidate Ong Ye Kung.

Recounting how a simple two-minute video he recently posted had went viral, Minister Yeo said he "felt a bit sad" that people were so moved.

"It shows that they crave communication and that they feel that somehow we are talking at them, and not talking to them," he said, pointing out that it is through talking and listening that respect and trust is built.

And even when the party is not always able to solve all problems, it must be able to listen and comfort, he noted.

All this would go to creating a "new unity" among Singaporeans, just as the older generations were united in the creation of Singapore with MM Lee, he said.

Minister Yeo noted, the reason for the large crowds at the WP rallies was because the WP acts as a "loudspeaker" for people's grievances. But this creates "negative emotions," he added.

He questioned the WP's "political ambition" in contesting in Aljunied GRC and said their plan outlined for the GRC "means nothing".

He called for a strong mandate from voters so that his team could speak up for them in Parliament.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong also turned up at the PAP rally to show support for the Aljunied GRC team.

He assured the elderly that the PAP would take care of them, and told young voters that the PAP will make the special effort to engage them after the polls.

Once again stressing that this election is about the future, PM Lee said, "In fact, these younger Singaporeans, you are our future, we have nurtured you, educated you, prepared you, given you every help to do well, we cherish you, we cheer for you."

"We want you to succeed because Singapore belongs to you. You will be Singapore but you must make Singapore even better what it is today."

But we must do much more because with every passing year, this younger generation will take on greater responsibilities and make larger contributions to Singapore."

Separately, at another rally at Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said PM Lee meant every word when he apologised for not meeting people's expectations.

Said DPM Teo: "He sets very high expectations for himself too. And if he cannot fully meet your expectations as Singaporeans, I think he was really disappointed and sorry when he said so."

"Every moment, every minute that he's awake, I know that he carries the burden of Singapore and Singaporeans very heavily on his shoulders. He works very, very hard."

DPM Teo is facing a Singapore Democratic Alliance team in the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC.

post-2609-0-20707000-1304614225_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:pinch:Reform Party Chief makes major GAFFE :sick:

By ewenboey | SingaporeScene – 1 hour 7 minutes ago

The atmosphere, fiery. The speakers, passionate, and the crowd, enthusiastic.

Everything was going as planned, and then it happened.

Just as the final Reform Party (RP) rally was concluding at Clementi stadium on Thursday evening, the emcee urged the approximately 3,000-strong crowd to stand as party chief Kenneth Jeyaretnam led the pledge.

However, J.B Jeyaretam's elder son got it all wrong.

He started, "We the citizens of Singapore, pledge ourselves to build a society," and hesitated for a few agonising seconds before the emcee took over the microphone and started the pledge again.

Will this incident put a dent in the party's run for a place in Parliament?

West Coast GRC residents at the rally whom Yahoo! Singapore spoke to were unfazed.

"This rally had more emotion than the earlier rallies, and the ending was a little disappointing. Maybe he was a bit anxious and forgot the lines," said 32-year-old process technician, Lokman, who was at RP's rally for the second time.

Third-time RP rally attendee, Irda, 28, who is a nurse, agreed. "The speakers today had more fire, but maybe he was a bit gan cheong (Hokkien for 'nervous') that's why."

22-year-old banker Dylan, who was at his first rally this election campaign, said, "I can't comment on anything, because humans do make mistakes."

He added that he was not disappointed by the mistake, and tactfully added that Jeyaretnam "just needs improvement".

The slip-up, though, was the only black spot of the night as the RP candidates took aim at Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's apology for his government's mistakes.

Speaking at the combined rally for Ang Mo Kio and West Coast GRC, Jeyaretnam questioned PM Lee's sincerity in asking for Singaporeans' forgiveness.

"We all know that I too recently apologised. I misquoted Mr Lee on Saturday and fixed it on Sunday. I did so immediately and spontaneously. No PR agency advised me to do so," he said.

He then noted that PM Lee had "magnanimously accepted" his apology." The RP chief added, "Mr Lee, I accept your apology even though it's taken five years. But I do not accept your excuses."

"Your apology is too little, too late. It will not erase all your actions over the last five years."

Ang Mo Kio candidate Osman Sulaiman added, "You've heard apologies from the PM. What do you think? Is he sincere, or is it because GE is coming?"

Jeyaretnam, who used to be a hedge fund manager, added that if voted into Parliament, he will be able to come up with economic policies to help alleviate the bad ones he claims the PAP have made.

He also vowed to "make the media free again", having accused them as being "state-controlled".

"I am the one voice they (the PAP) do not want to hear again. That is the voice of a Jeyaretnam," he said as he concluded his speech.

The other candidates also spoke about issues related to housing, influx of foreigners, and a growing income gap.

post-2609-0-68613600-1304614500_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:groupwavereversed:SURE man...Y.O.G. !!!

'It’s not about the PAP, it’s about YOU’

By Faris Mokhtar | SingaporeScene – 1 hour 16 minutes ago

Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan says that the upcoming general election is not about voting for the People's Action Party (PAP) but rather about making the right choices for the future.

Speaking at the party's rally for the Holland-Bukit Timah GRC and Bukit Panjang SMC on Thursday evening, he called on residents to analyse the plans laid out by the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) which could bring negative consequences to Singaporeans.

Highlighting the SDP's calls for minimum wage to increase workers' salaries as an example, the minister said that workers could end up losing their jobs instead.

He gave the example of a 52-year-old woman he met recently who works as a secretary and was currently earning S$1200. She said her employer owned a small start-up company and could not afford to pay her a higher wage, adding that "she does not know what her future is".

When asked by Dr Balakrishnan what the SDP could do, she said minimum wage. However, he explained during the rally that if the minimum wage was to be implemented, the woman could instead lose her job.

"Why, because her boss in a small company cannot afford to pay more. And if you insist, the boss will say, well, 'I can't run the company, good luck to you'."

"So you see, when people are afraid about the future, it is very easy to sell 'koyok'. But actually you take away her job and you make her future worse," he said.

On the other hand, the minister said that the PAP's Workfare policy could provide her with assistance. In addition, under the Workfare scheme, he said that the woman could go for training and upgrade her skills which in return could lead her to better job prospects.

"We can give her a better life but we have to convince her to give us a chance. To vote for us so that we can give her better life and not make a mistake to vote a party which is actually going to take away her job," said Dr Balakrishnan.

Describing the PAP as an "honest" party which offers pragmatic and sensible plans, Dr Balakrishnan said the party will continue to grow the economy to increase the number and value of jobs to ensure that Singaporeans manage to obtain higher salaries.

He also took a swipe at the SDP's shadow healthcare plan — which aims to lower the costs of medical services — saying that, "In all the other developed countries where the healthcare is apparently cheap, you wait long, long and you die before you get healthcare."

"In Singapore, every single one of you can get to a hospital. Even if you have no money, and you go into the C-class, we will look after you."

Dr Balakrishnan added that with schemes such as the Medisave, Medishield and Medifund, the healthcare system will be able to support the medical needs of the lower-income and provide the best services at an affordable rate.

• SRC Member

:friends:We have put the PAP on the DEFENSIVE: SDPs James Gomez

By Faris Mokhtar | SingaporeScene Thu, May 5, 2011

The Singapore Democratic Party's (SDP's) proposed policies for helping Singaporeans cope with rising costs have put the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) on a "defensive" position, said Dr James Gomez, the opposition party's candidate for the Sembawang group representation constituency (GRC).

Speaking at a lunch-time rally crowd in Boat Quay next to UOB Plaza, Gomez, 46, said that the SDP has presented alternative economic and health plans, but that "(PM) Lee Hsien Loong and company have not put up policy proposals".

The SDP has unveiled a shadow health plan which aims to help Singaporeans cope with rising medical costs. One of the party's recommendations is to revamp the funding model for the healthcare system.

It also proposed the People's Plan and the Re-generation Plan which seek to rejuvenate Sembawang GRC through the creation of a Woodlands regional centre and a mini tourism hub

Calling it a "watershed" election, Gomez added that there could also be a "vote-swing" due to the people's frustrations at the PAP's policies.

"This election is a watershed, there is no doubt about it. There is going to be a vote swing against the PAP. This expected swing against the PAP is a result of our accumulated frustration with the PAP policies over the last so many years," said Gomez.

He also claimed that the PAP team has no policy alternatives to help Singaporeans overcome rising costs and the influx of foreign workers which has led to depressed wages.

Gomez also took a swipe at the ruling party, saying that it has a "poor track record" at keeping promises. He was referring to PAP's assurance that the goods and services tax or GST would not be raised in the next five years.

"They promised you no increase in GST in five years. They have promised you a review of HDB prices downwards in the months ahead. Don't believe them. Their track record is poor in keeping promises," he said.

The party also took a jab at PM Lee's apology which was made at a lunch-time rally on Tuesday. Gomez said that the ruling party has "no confidence" and thus had to resort to apologies and emotional appeals.

"They have scraped the bottom of the barrel in public relations. The apology is the last bullet. PM Lee, I ask you and you colleagues, do the honourable thing, bite the bullet now," said Gomez.

Former army colonel and candidate for the four-member Holland-Bukit Timah GRC Dr Ang Yong Guan, 56, said that the apology came "too little too late", bringing a smile to the audience's faces by referring to the song "Apologise" by One Republic.

Meanwhile, the party also reiterated its proposals laid out in the previous rallies. Among others, they called for a minimum wage, reducing reliance on the country's manufacturing sector and and abolishing GST for basic essential goods.

Contesting under the SDP ticket, candidate Michelle Lee Juen, 35, also touched on issues such as education and alternative plans to increase the country's low fertility rate.

While she acknowledged that the PAP is "right" by implementing policies such as the baby bonus and childcare subsidies, she said it failed to solve the root of the problem, which is the cost of bringing up a family.

To address this issue, the SDP, she said advocates cash grants, waiver of school fees up to university levels and free medical benefits for mothers' and children. "It is time to prioritise our families, not GDP growth," she said, adding that the proposals aim to put the families back at the centre of policy making.

"Our aim is to make lives better for ordinary Singaporeans. Our lives are more that just about running an infinite treadmill, working every harder to make more just to maintain the status quo."

The last speaker for the day and "star" candidate, Dr Vincent Wijeysingha, 41, cited the example of philanthropist Lee Kong Chian who recognised the need to contribute back to society through the donation of his wealth.

Saying that the contributions made by the Lee Foundation -- which was founded in 1952 -- as "incalculable", he added that it has played a key role in providing funding for the arts and scholarships for needy students.

"His way, not only being the way of wealth creation is also the way of community, the way of investing in our future, the way in assisting human beings to develop and reap their full potential," he said.

"You the people of Singapore have the powerful opportunity to carry that tradition of Mr Lee into the future. Let us a send a strong and creative check and balance into Parliament and let us then move confidently into the future with no one left behind."

• SRC Member

:welldone:NSP Candidate Nicole Seah breaks down during Rally

By Jeanette Tan | SingaporeScene – 2 hours 19 minutes ago

On the final day of the hustings, she just couldn't hold it in anymore.

National Solidarity Party candidate Nicole Seah broke down during a rally at a field in Chinese Garden on Thursday night, after recalling a meeting she had with a poor female resident in MacPherson earlier in the day.

The 24-year-old, who is contesting the Marine Parade GRC, said the resident told her how she could not afford an $80 deposit that was required over and above the rent for her flat. Worse, when she sought help from grassroots leaders, she was chided for the small amount.

Pausing to compose herself, Seah told the estimated 10,000-strong crowd, "This is the kind of problem we have. We need a government who has a heart for Singaporeans."

It was the second time in a day that the advertising executive broke down. While speaking to the same resident earlier, she had also cried after listening to the mother's desperate situation.

An emotionally-charged Seah then told the audience at the rally that it was time for change.

She said, "They (the PAP) do not have the mandate of heaven but the consent of the people... We must move towards the next phase of nation building to build a future that comes in more colours than white."

After the rally, which was the final chance for NSP candidates to address voters, members in the crowd told Yahoo! Singapore that Seah had left a deep impression on them.

Ting Lee Yiaw, 48, banker, a Jurong GRC resident, said, "What she said resonated with me. She's very down-to-earth and very real. I can see that she is truly compassionate and really stands for the NSP."

Nelson Tong, 36, civil servant, also a Jurong resident, said, "It is very encouraging to see someone like her. I can really see that she is feeling it like a true Singaporean. We feel it together with her and that's what being Singaporean is all about."

Undergraduate Brandon Chen, 26, added, "We need an MP like her to give the alternative voice. Age doesn't matter, as long as people can feel that she is real."

A total of 12 other NSP candidates spoke during the rally.

They will be contesting the Marine Parade, Jurong, Chua Chu Kang and Tampines GRCs as well as the Radin Mas, Pioneer and Mountbatten SMCs.

post-2609-0-15228700-1304615128_thumb.jp

I end here Liao.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your earlier comment on my first post. I have choose to only further reply you close to the end of the rally for a specific reason.

Just look at what has happen to the dramatic reversal on the attitude of the PAP in the heat up of the rally. The PAP elites finally succumb to public outcry and pressure.

PM apologise for their past mistake. MBT now wants to adjust income ceilings. Vivian admitted to 'miscalculating' the YOG (short of saying SORRY and take the ultimate steps to resign).

So if you would please tell me, would the above has happen if not for the brave people who dares to stand up and speak up for fellow Singaporeans ???

Are we expecting a perfect Government ? No.

Are we saying that PAP has done a terrible job ? Certainly Not.

But absolute power is certainly not the way for Singapore if we are to survive in the increasing volatile world. What we are seeing here is a government that is obsess in maintaining an absolute power with no rooms for opposition and alternative voice to partake in the decision process.

At the end day, look at what has happen over the last five years.

Could some of the mistake be avoided ? Yes.

The only way for the current PAP to continue rein in winning people's heart is to admit that they have to live with the reality of credible opposition taking part in national policies decision process.

I am one who truly subscribes to Mr Chen Show Mao's philosophy that - only with competition, that you will get improvement.

So my fellow Singaporeans, I urge everyone of you to think seriously about the future of Singapore and vote wisely and not repeat the same mistake again.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

:groupwavereversed:SINGAPORE, it’s over to YOU !!!

By Jeffrey Oon | SingaporeScene – Thu, May 5, 2011

COMMENT

In less than 48 hours, slightly over 2.3 million of you will begin casting your vote at ballot boxes across Singapore.

For many, me included, it will be our first walk to the ballot box, and for that we must be thankful. It has not always been so.

In 2006, slightly over half of Singapore got to vote. In 2001, it was even less than that. We have to go back to 1972 when a majority 87 per cent of parliamentary seats were contested. This time, it's over 94 per cent.

Come Saturday, you have the ability to chart the country's destiny for the next five years and beyond. My sincere hope is that you do not take this lightly.

I am hopeful because over the last week, I have witnessed active citizenry at its best. At each of the four rallies I have been to in the past week, I was heartened to see Singaporeans from all walks of life show up in the thousands and, for some rallies, tens of thousands.

There is something gratifying about seeing your fellow citizens -- Chinese, Malays, Indians and Eurasians of all ages, of all backgrounds -- coming to attend these rallies in their own time, of their own free will. Some come alone, some with friends, many with families.

But all come because of one thing: You care.

It is no small sacrifice. Some skip dinners and go on hungry stomachs to hear what the candidates have to say. Others travel across the island, spending precious time and money just to listen. Snarling jams, pouring rain and muddy fields didn't deter you and, for that, I salute you.

In the last few days, many concerned citizens have also taken to cyberspace to pen their innermost thoughts. Their appeals are insightful and heart-wrenching to read. Elections talk has also dominated coffeeshops and conversations across the island and I cannot help but smile when I overhear such heated, fervent discussion of national issues.

This is what it means to be Singaporean. This is what it means to take a stake in your country.

I am most heartened to see the Gen-Y generation, who some have called apathetic, attend the rallies in great numbers. I have received many emails from this group, telling me they have gone out of their way to educate themselves about what the respective parties stand for ahead of Saturday's decision day. They are our future and, guess what, they care too.

At this important point in Singapore's fledgling nationhood, it gives me great comfort and a deep sense of pride to know we are all together in this. To know that regardless of events around the world, come Saturday, we have the choice to decide our own fate -- a future for Singapore, by Singaporeans.

Whether it will truly be a watershed moment come the early hours of Sunday, I cannot tell. But whatever the results, I am already gratified because I know you care. Come what may on 7 May, let us not forget to come together as one, regardless of which box you crossed.

I will end by saying that over the last few weeks, but especially in the last nine days, I humbly hope you'll agree my team has delivered, bringing you reports from the rallies of all the parties involved. We have done our best to bring you their ideas and platforms and what they represent.

As the intense war of words of the hustings campaign die down and Cooling Off Day kicks in, it is now time for you to calm your minds, cool your hearts and consult with friends and family.

But most of all, you must consult yourself. Decide what is best for you. And decide you must because it is your chance to say, I made a choice.

Your vote is your own and it is indeed secret.

It is up to you now.

:evil:It is your TIME, your VOTE.

post-2609-0-91892000-1304702605_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:yahoo:A GUIDE to the POLLS on 7 MAY :thumbsup:

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene Thu, May 5, 2011

For many of you, Saturday will be your first time to vote in a national election. Your vote is, without a doubt, of utmost importance and we at Yahoo! Singapore want to help ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible.

Here is a short guide to the polls that we hope will come in handy!

Poll Card

By now, you should have gotten your poll card via mail from the Elections Department. The card will tell you where your designated Polling Station is.

If you have not received your poll card, please call the election hotline (1800-818-0088), email the Elections Department or go to a Community Centre/Club to get another card.

On Polling Day

1) Bring your identification documents and Poll Card to the designated polling station. You are not allowed to vote elsewhere.

Only your NRIC, Singapore passport and identity cards issued by the Ministry of Defence, Singapore Police Force and Singapore Civil Defence Force will be accepted. Photocopies will not be allowed.

The polling stations will be open from 8am to 8pm. The waiting time tends to be the longest in the morning, but do not go too late too as ballot papers will not be issued to voters who are still in the queues when polling closes. Walking or taking public transport is strongly advised as parking spaces will be limited.

2) Once there, present your identification and poll card to an election official, who will direct you to the right queue.

3) Polling officials will issue you an official ballot paper. You may be asked to make a declaration of proof of identity and sign the declaration first.

4) Proceed to the polling booth, where you should mark your choice clearly with an 'X' in the box on the right side of the ballot paper, opposite the name and symbol of the candidate.

DO NOT put a tick or any other symbol, otherwise your vote will not be counted.

DO NOT sign or make any marks on the ballot paper that could identify you.

DO NOT show your ballot paper to anyone else.

5) After putting a cross in the box to indicate your choice, fold the ballot paper and drop it into the ballot box.

6) Leave the polling station.

Please remember

1) Voting is compulsory.

If you do not vote, your name will be removed from the certified register of electors of the constituency you belong to. You will not be able to vote in any subsequent election until you apply to the Registration Officer with an explanation as to why you did not vote.

If the reason is not valid, you will have to pay $50 to restore your name to the register of electors.

2) Do not bring your pets and/or children to the polling station as they will not be granted access to the polling area. Your bag may also be subject to a security check.

3) Do not bring any item or wear any attire that shows a political party's or candidate's symbol. The law prohibits canvassing and all forms of election activity, except for voting, on Polling Day.

4) You are not allowed to use your mobile phone or cameras in the polling station.

Remember: YOUR VOTE IS SECRET.

For more information, visit the Elections website here or call the Election Hotline at 1800-818-0088 (local) or (+65) 6818 0088 (overseas).

• SRC Member

:pirate:Singapore’s Fast Growth Creating Rich-Poor Divide?

Jenny Chan Vheng Yern, On Thursday 5 May 2011, 10:05 SGT

Liyana Dhamirah, 24, says she and her husband Fazli bin Mohd Jailani, 31, and their three young children lived in a tent on the beach in Singapore for four months in 2009 when their Housing Development Board flat was repossessed as they were unable to service their mortgage loan.

The Singapore government provides subsidized housing via the Board to its citizens. Liyana and Fazli now share a rented flat with another family.

"It's unfair. I'm a Singaporean, yet I'm not benefiting at all from how rich Singapore has become."

Liyana and Fazli say they earn a combined S$800 ($652) a month but have been unable to make ends meet. "Sometimes I can't even afford a S$1 ($0.80) ice cream cone for my kids," says Fazli, a former mechanic apprentice, who is now unemployed and depends on the income from his wife's online handmade trinkets business.

Singapore goes to the polls on Saturday and income inequalities have become a major political issue,with the opposition highlighting the rising cost of living and the increase in foreign workers.

Those rising costs have come during an economic boom, with the country reporting a 23.5 percent increase in gross domestic product (GDP) quarter on quarter and 8.5 percent over the previous year. This was on the back of GDP growth of 15 percent in 2010.

But not everyone in this island nation of 5 million people is celebrating. Irvin Seah, an economist at Singapore bank DBS says, "Plainly, not everyone has benefited equally from the economic growth that has occurred over the past decade."

Median household incomes have grown only 21 percent in the past decade, compared to real GDP growth of 72 percent in the same period, according to government statistics.

In 2010 when GDP expanded by 14.5 percent, household incomes rose on average just 0.3 percent after adjusting for inflation.

Take the case of Rokiah Ahmad, 46, a librarian at the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA). She says her salary was S$1,500 ($1,222) per month 10 years ago, and after a decade of small increments, it's now S$1,700 ($1,385) a month.

"It's not enough to raise three daughters and one son. We have financial difficulties."

Chow Penn Nee, an economist at United Overseas Bank says, "Wage growth is clearly not keeping up with GDP growth and the divide between the rich and the poor is getting bigger."

Asked for the government's response, Singapore's Minister for Manpower, Gan Kim Yong said income growth cannot be equated with GDP growth, "as the former is also influenced by other demand and supply factors."

The opposition Workers' Party candidate, Chen Show Mao, who was a corporate lawyer before he joined the largest opposition party in Singapore, said during the party's election rally that the benefit of Singapore's economic growth "went to corporate profits and the wages of top earners".

Government data showed that last year the bottom 10 percent of the population had a household monthly income of S$1,400 ($1,141) compared with S$23,684 ($19,308) for households in the top 10 percent.

Singapore has the highest concentration of millionaires in the world. According to the Boston Consulting Group's Global Wealth 2010 Report, 11.4 percent of Singapore's population is millionaires.

And it has the second highest income gap among 42 nations "with very high human development," according to the United Nations. Singapore's Gini coefficient, a measure of income inequality where zero is complete equality and one maximum inequality, was 0.472 in 2010.

CIMB-GK Research economist Song Seng Wun believes that growth itself partly explains the widening income gap. "In any capitalist society where profit maximization is key, this gap will widen unless we get heavy government intervention."

According to Leif Eskesen, HSBC's chief economist for India & ASEAN, some inequality is integral to the effective functioning of a market economy, "but too much inequality could also hurt growth."

When contacted by CNBC, Singapore's Ministry of Finance cited the recent budget in which the government promised to raise the productivity of Singaporeans via training and other benefits.

In its budget in February, the government handed out one-time benefits valued at S$3.2 billion ($2.6 billion) targeting lower-income citizens. The ruling People's Action Party has also promised larger bursaries and grants in its manifesto.

OSK-DMG economist Enrico Tanuwidjaja says these handouts can only cushion the impact of inflation temporarily since they are one-offs. "Purchasing power actually stays the same."

Liyana and Fazli say since 90 percent of their wages are used to pay bills, the extra money

Singapore's Ministry of Manpower says the government aims to raise incomes by 30 percent in the next 10 years by improving productivity. The ministry also says it has committed S$5.5 billion ($4.47 billion) for this purpose over the next five years.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has promised in his party's political broadcasts that the PAP, which is widely expected to win the elections, will ensure that low-wage workers are not left behind. On Tuesday, the Straits Times reported the Prime Minister apologized for not moving fast enough to address some of the shortfalls in housing and transport. "We're trying our best on your behalf. And if we didn't quite get it right, I'm sorry but we will try and do better the next time," the newspaper quoted him as saying.

71-year-old cleaner Mr Tan, who only wanted to be identified by his last name, has been earning just S$4.00 ($3.20) an hour for the past 5 years. He says he's not convinced.

"They don't care about us. The profits all go to the bosses and government ministers. And when we speak up, we're considered as complaining."

Correction: The article previously stated that Rokia Ahmed was a librarian at the Department of Statistics, but she is in fact a librarian at the Urban Redevelopment Authority.

• SRC Member

:pirate:Singapore's Top Satirist thrives in Election Season

On Friday 29 April 2011, 10:29 SGT

As Singapore heads towards general elections on May 7, one of the most avidly followed individuals during the campaign is not even running for public office.

He is a blogger known as Mr Brown.

Singapore's most popular satirist -- Lee Kin Mun in real life -- pokes fun at public figures in the economically developed but politically conservative city-state ruled by the same party for 52 years.

"This has been a very lucrative time for me for fodder," said Lee of the campaign which officially kicked off Wednesday but has been going on informally for weeks.

"I think if you don't make fun of it, it will be a waste," said the 41-year-old who produces videos and other multimedia content for corporate and government clients in his day job.

Lee, who describes himself as "L'infantile terrible of Singapore," is the founder of blogsite www.mrbrown.com which since 1997 has been making fun of many things Singaporean, especially politicians of all stripes.

He said the site -- labelled after his childhood nickname -- draws 6,000 to 10,000 visitors daily, with at least 20,000 downloads for each podcast which include tongue-in-cheek commentaries and politicised spoofs of pop songs.

But during election periods, the numbers spike sharply, and the Mr Brown Twitter account boasted 23,378 followers as of April 27.

Lee's irreverence is unusual in Singapore, where criticism of the government is rare. Foreign publications and opposition politicians have had to pay fortunes in damages to government leaders who sued them for defamation.

The ruling People's Action Party (PAP) held all but two of the 84 seats in the previous parliament but is now facing a spirited challenge from smaller parties, making it one of Singapore's most keenly contested polls in decades.

Lee insists he is a non-partisan figure and argues that the PAP's overwhelming dominance simply makes it a "big fat target" for satire.

"They're going to get more of the nonsense from me because they permeate our lives more, so there's more opportunity for humor there," he told AFP.

Recent postings at mrbrown.com include a photograph of four beaming PAP politicians who appeared at first glance to be dressed in the party's trademark all-white shirts and slacks.

"Never wash your Party whites with the pink underwear," a headline reads as an arrow points to the light pink shirt worn by one male politician.

He has also posted mock movie posters of opposition candidates depicted as superheroes or movie characters, gathered from Singapore's growing ranks of "netizens" who are shut out of the mainstream media.

Lee's humour has been tolerated by the authorities for the most part.

"Obviously they don't see me as a threat, I'm just the guy with a big mouth, the class clown at the back of the class, so I'm not worried," he said.

However, Lee had a regular column in a local newspaper yanked in 2006 after he penned a tongue-in-cheek piece entitled "S'poreans are fed, up with progress!" which bemoaned the rising cost of living.

But Lee remains sanguine about his notoriety, saying his writings are "not political commentary, it's just comedy really."

Social media and political party websites have become important campaign platforms in the current election campaign because the country's mainstream newspapers and broadcasters are all closely identified with the PAP.

Lee says political parties still have a long way to go.

"You haven't seen them for the last five years online and suddenly they pop up and they're tweeting and they vomit all over your Facebook page! And on top of this, they are not used to the response," he exclaimed.

Lee believes the polls will be the "most exciting" since Singapore became a republic in 1965 because most seats will be contested.

"Once the hustings begin, every day someone will say something really stupid," he said.