Help on piping size and size for hanging filter sock

I need help on determining the piping size required by the tank maker.

I will have 1 durso pipe feeding to my Deltec APF600 protein skimmer (so what size of PVC pipe needed?)

I have have a Eheim 1262 return pump (for the bigger size adaptor outlet, what size of PVC pipe needed?)

I have the intention to get a Reef Octopus Water Blaster 10000 (so what size of PVC pipe needed?)

Also, my new sump will have a compartment for filter sock: What should be the dimension of this compartment? Will 150mm x 150mm be good? ALso what should be the height of the top of this compartment from the water level in the sump?

Appreciate your valuable help on this. Thanks.

• SRC Member

Hey Vince,

If you have more than 1 durso(ie. 1 to skimmer + 1 to filter sock), not all may be taking in water concurrently. Below link is 1 recent case.

You may have to fine tune your plumbing to make that happen. Alternatively, make the 2nd durso an emergency one to take in overflow when the 1st one is jammed. Have a T or Y join below your 1st durso to split water between filter sock & skimmer (Put in ball valve on both sides so that you can control the flow).

Specs on 1262 says that its standard outlet size is 3/4". If you have a different outlet size, better bring it to a plumbing shop for proper fitting.

With regards to pipe sizing for your skimmer durso(assuming it is taking in water), need to know the recommended flow for your skimmer's feeder pump. After which, perform a siphon test with different hose size.

Example:

Take a Eheim 16/22 hose & siphon water from top of your tank to measure how much water you get in 60 sec. Then multiple that amount with 60min to get your L/hr for feeder flow rate into your skimmer. This way your can estimate your durso pipe size.

For filter sock compartment, dosen't matter as long as your filter sock bracket can fit into it. I didn't see the need to have a dedicated compartment for filter sock. It's together in my skimmer compartment. Important to position sock such that when it gets clogged up & water overflows, it dosen't cause a flood.