Why still got high no3 in my tank?

I have the tank for almost 3months but the no3 still high in my tank. Wondering what went wrong? How can I control my no3 effectively?

- water change every week 10%

- dose bacteria into the sump weekly

- feed twice a day

-buy no3 and ammonia removal filter

• SRC Supporter

Check if there is any dead fish or rotting plant in your tank ? Most of the bacteria product in the market will only help to bring down Ammonia and N02 just like your biological filter does, N03 has to be reduce by pseudomonas and clostridium bacterical in an anaerobic conditions into harmless nitrogen gases or consume by algae as a fertilizer .

Below is some of the ways you can remove the high N03 in your tank;

1) Build a refugium with DSB ( Deep Sand Bed ) together with some algae

2) Using bacteria products like Micro- Lift special blend or AZN03.

3) Use a Algae scrubber

4) Large water change ( This would be the fastest method to bring N03 down )

5) Reduce your feeding.

HTH :)

can it be solve long term? I prefer long term solution.

use a Algae scrubber for long term.

biopellets also can but need to keep on replacing it.

Both algae scrubber (ATS) & biopellets can be long term but maintenance needed..

biopellets => Monitor flow and media's..

ATS => Maintenance on algae growth on ATS.

Or u can consider NR too... Certain good brand like deltec model really low maintenance.. :) but a bit smelly from reactor output :P U can find more info from RD.... :)

Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Supporter

In conclusion, you might want to consider using these method to control your N03 without doing regular expensive water change; However each method come with the Pros and Cons of it so remember to do more research about it before deciding which is the best method for you.

1) Build a refugium with DSB ( Deep Sand Bed ) together with some algae

2) Using bacteria products like Micro- Lift special blend or AZN03.

3) Use a Algae scrubber

4) Large water change ( This would be the fastest method to bring N03 down )

5) Reduce your feeding.

6) Bio pallets

7) DeNitrator

8) Dosing vodka

Both algae scrubber (ATS) & biopellets can be long term but maintenance needed..

biopellets => Monitor flow and media's..

ATS => Maintenance on algae growth on ATS.

Or u can consider NR too... Certain good brand like deltec model really low maintenance.. :) but a bit smelly from reactor output :P U can find more info from RD.... :)

Cheers..

What is NR? Where is RD?

Number 8 is a joke???

Pls find articles from reefkeeping below.... In general, adding vodka is like adding sugar or carbon source to our tank water, will increasing bacterial to denitrifying tank water. Cheers..

Sandbeds and Vodka

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/eb/index.php

Sand beds and Vodka Part Two

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/eb/feature/index.php

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

What is NR? Where is RD?

Pls find the answer in the following link... and other reefkeepingforum acronyms/abbreviations can find here too....

NR = Nitrate Reactor

RD = Reefdepot (http://www.reefdepot.com.sg/Default.asp)(Is a must know LFS :thumbsup: )

Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Pls find articles from reefkeeping below.... In general, adding vodka is like adding sugar or carbon source to our tank water, will increasing bacterial to denitrifying tank water. Cheers..

Sandbeds and Vodka

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/eb/index.php

Sand beds and Vodka Part Two

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/eb/feature/index.php

I am surprise vodka can do that! Did anyone try b4?

• SRC Supporter

I am surprise vodka can do that! Did anyone try b4?

If you did a search on the forum here there has been a discussion on this before. It work on the same principle as Bio pallets by providing a carbon source for the bacteria, but it has to be used with caution especially those keeping a SPS tank .

• SRC Member

Bro if u want fast but temporary result u can try buying 3 bio filter from sea life. Put all 3 in your sump n your NO3 will reduce significantly. After that u can consider all the recomendtions by the senior reefers above. Good luck.

just curious.

how large is your tank? What are the livestocks in it?

When you say high NO3, what is the reading?

It is always good to start with considering what is the source of the problem rather than implementing a solution to rectify it without identifying the source.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Besides the above valuable information shared, I hope to share the below to let you have an different perspectives on Nitrate.

Nitrate, although is frown upon in our hobby especially if you intend to keep reefs tank rather than Fish only. It is a necessary by-product of nitrification.

In a typical aquarium:

1. Fish wastes are process by heterotrophic bacteria more precisely Saprophytic Bacteria into ammonia
  2. When ammonia and oxygen is present autotrophic nitrifying bacteria will began to multiply
  3. The 1st type of nitrifying bacteria (e.g. Nitrosomonas marina) will process ammonia into nitrite
  4. 2nd type of nitrifiers namely nitrospira process the nitrite into nitrate

When you measure nitrate, it only means that your nitrification process has been establish and most fish only keepers will be happy to keep it as it is.

But for reef keepers, we need another process to convert the nitrate into harmless nitrogen gas. This can be done through:

1. Denitrification
  2. Chemical reduction
  3. Natural absorption by plants and algae
  4. Nitrate reactors
  5. Frequent water changes - "Dilution is the Solution for Pollution" Anthony Calfo

Denitrification takes place when oxygen is depleted. Denitrification only takes place in anaerobic environments where oxygen consumption exceeds the oxygen supply and where sufficient quantities of nitrate are present. These environments may include certain Deep Sand Bed, inner core of large Live Rocks or in Nitrate Reactors.

AZNO3 is one of the more popular chemical reduction of nitrate and many have been happy with its results. However, due to its prohibitive price it is not the solution for long term usage. There are also many alternative brands on the market which is better on the pockets. You may speak with some of our sponsors.

Another tried and tested way of keeping nitrate is check is through natural absorption, plants or for our hobby algae and even clams will uses nitrate as a fertilizer. You can do so by growing some macro-algae either directly in your main tank or in a refugium or in a algae scrubber.

You can also reduce nitrate using a production nitrate reactor or a diy reactor. Reactors were initially used by large public aquariums but increase in popularity as the hobby matures and hobby grade reactors becomes available.

Finally, a simple way to keep nitrate in check by doing frequent partial water change.

In conclusion:

1. Nitrate is the end result of nitrification
  2. Nitrate is not an issue for non-reef tank and some livestocks (inverts) with high nitrate tolerance
  3. Nitrate can be controlled using the methods mentioned above

Hope that helps.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

just curious.

how large is your tank? What are the livestocks in it?

When you say high NO3, what is the reading?

It is always good to start with considering what is the source of the problem rather than implementing a solution to rectify it without identifying the source.

My reading is always within 25-50. So quite bah cos red algae will bloom suddenly and cover some of my corals and zoos. Also if I feed too little I can see my livestocks are hungry. I have about 20 livestock inside.

Besides the above valuable information shared, I hope to share the below to let you have an different perspectives on Nitrate.

Nitrate, although is frown upon in our hobby especially if you intend to keep reefs tank rather than Fish only. It is a necessary by-product of nitrification.

In a typical aquarium:

1. Fish wastes are process by heterotrophic bacteria more precisely Saprophytic Bacteria into ammonia
  2. When ammonia and oxygen is present autotrophic nitrifying bacteria will began to multiply
  3. The 1st type of nitrifying bacteria (e.g. Nitrosomonas marina) will process ammonia into nitrite
  4. 2nd type of nitrifiers namely nitrospira process the nitrite into nitrate

When you measure nitrate, it only means that your nitrification process has been establish and most fish only keepers will be happy to keep it as it is.

But for reef keepers, we need another process to convert the nitrate into harmless nitrogen gas. This can be done through:

1. Denitrification
  2. Chemical reduction
  3. Natural absorption by plants and algae
  4. Nitrate reactors
  5. Frequent water changes - "Dilution is the Solution for Pollution" Anthony Calfo

Denitrification takes place when oxygen is depleted. Denitrification only takes place in anaerobic environments where oxygen consumption exceeds the oxygen supply and where sufficient quantities of nitrate are present. These environments may include certain Deep Sand Bed, inner core of large Live Rocks or in Nitrate Reactors.

AZNO3 is one of the more popular chemical reduction of nitrate and many have been happy with its results. However, due to its prohibitive price it is not the solution for long term usage. There are also many alternative brands on the market which is better on the pockets. You may speak with some of our sponsors.

Another tried and tested way of keeping nitrate is check is through natural absorption, plants or for our hobby algae and even clams will uses nitrate as a fertilizer. You can do so by growing some macro-algae either directly in your main tank or in a refugium or in a algae scrubber.

You can also reduce nitrate using a production nitrate reactor or a diy reactor. Reactors were initially used by large public aquariums but increase in popularity as the hobby matures and hobby grade reactors becomes available.

Finally, a simple way to keep nitrate in check by doing frequent partial water change.

In conclusion:

1. Nitrate is the end result of nitrification
  2. Nitrate is not an issue for non-reef tank and some livestocks (inverts) with high nitrate tolerance
  3. Nitrate can be controlled using the methods mentioned above

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your helps Gouldian! I will try the algae scrubber method but where can I get the stuffs? Do you thing I can place it at the overflow before it enters the sump? Should I also get airpump to increase the oxygen levels? Or nitrate reactor?

My reading is always within 25-50. So quite bah cos red algae will bloom suddenly and cover some of my corals and zoos. Also if I feed too little I can see my livestocks are hungry. I have about 20 livestock inside.

thin film of red algae? sounds like cyano..... you can do some reading on the web. heres one.

http://netclub.athiel.com/cyano/cyanos2.htm

good luck bro and may you find the balance for your aquarium soon.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

usually for small tanks, expect NO3 to be high becoz of the bio load + dead micro-organisms vs the low water volume + the detritus that tends to settle down in the sand bed or at the corners....

besides vodka which is food for bacteria to thrive in our tanks, u can also try carbon dosing...which is safer...i'm using brightwell carbon dosing + niteout...over a couple of weeks, u will c yr nitrate down...

l7304smr.jpg

<BR>My tank is not really small 4ft. Should I get a nitrate Reactor to fully control the nitrate long term or should I get bio pellets? Which is better?

Go for either biopellets or bioplastics. It works :evil: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe