Patchy Discolouration of Lemon Butterflyfish

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I bought 2 lemon butterfly fish from CF almost 2 mths ago, they feed well (pellets, Mysis, Henry's food, Seaweed) but recently noticed that their body colour has become patchy/ discoloured, as if their skin’s exfoliating or something (can't catch a picture of them). They're still eating voraciously and look to be fine but I’m worried as it happened to my burgess in the past.

The 2 remaining pieces at CF are facing the same issues and auntie is unsure as to why they are exhibiting such symptoms too, she said should be fine since they are still feeding well.

I’ve since measured my parameters (weekly) and they seem to be stable. SG 1.025, PH 8.1-8.2, KH 8.9, PO4 0.02, NO3 2.5. Could any expert here please advise if it’s something I should worry about?

Tks in advance! :ThanxSmiley:

Hi all,

I bought 2 lemon butterfly fish from CF almost 2 mths ago, they feed well (pellets, Mysis, Henry's food, Seaweed) but recently noticed that their body colour has become patchy/ discoloured, as if their skin’s exfoliating or something (can't catch a picture of them). They're still eating voraciously and look to be fine but I’m worried as it happened to my burgess in the past.

The 2 remaining pieces at CF are facing the same issues and auntie is unsure as to why they are exhibiting such symptoms too, she said should be fine since they are still feeding well.

I’ve since measured my parameters (weekly) and they seem to be stable. SG 1.025, PH 8.1-8.2, KH 8.9, PO4 0.02, NO3 2.5. Could any expert here please advise if it’s something I should worry about?

Tks in advance! :ThanxSmiley:

Either bacterial or flukes.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Either bacterial or flukes.

Ic. They look like Flowerhorns/ Luohans or even angelfishes when they are 'moulting'/ transitioning from Juvinile to Adult phase. Is that a sign of bacterial/ fluke infection? Does it point to my water quality cos the other angels, tangs, anthias, clownfish, butterflies etc are all alright.

Infact even the 2 left at CF are facing the exact issue.

Ic. They look like Flowerhorns/ Luohans or even angelfishes when they are 'moulting'/ transitioning from Juvinile to Adult phase. Is that a sign of bacterial/ fluke infection? Does it point to my water quality cos the other angels, tangs, anthias, clownfish, butterflies etc are all alright.

Infact even the 2 left at CF are facing the exact issue.

Do a freshwater dip. If nothing falls off the fish most likely it is bacterial issue, in which case antibiotics will be the answer.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/