white spot problem....

hi bros...

my unfortunate fishes had a sudden outbreak of white spots.... 2 frogfishes already gone.... had moved all the remaining fishes (mainly lionfishes) to the quarantine tank for treatment...

the problem is now there is only an eel in my main tank.... and do i need to do any form of treatment or medication to the main tank?? in order to kill off the remaining parasites that may be still in the tank??

*touchwood* if i really need to restock my main tank... wat do i need to do before adding in new fishes?? is a 100% water change necessary??

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Sori to hear abt the outbreak. To get rid of the white spots cysts on the fish, I wud suggest a 3-5 mins fresh water dip. Just keep a lookout for any signs of distress from yr fish lah. The amt of time varies depending on yr fish.

To get rid of the parasites still in the tank, I wud suggest u raise the temperature & then add malachite green (not sure of spelling). This is supposed to be invert safe but please dont over dose. Beware that some lfs may ask u to use copper based medication. I wouldnt risk it as the inverts will die and the copper stays in the tank n rocks for long time.

If i m not wrong the free swimming stage of the parasite last only 24 hrs. So if they cannot find a host by then, they'll just die off.

Hope this helps.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Hi,

The best treatment for ich (if that is what your fish got) is hyposalinity IMO. Do a search on hyposalinity. Fresh water dip will just help relieve the fish from the parasite but won't cure it some people say.

The cycle of crypto (the parasite that cause ich) ends after the free swimming stage only if there is not host (fish) to attach to. But keep in mind that there maybe cysts still on the sand bed, rocks etc that have yet to hatch, so it is advisable to keep the tank running free of fish (you have moved them to Q-tank/H-tank...a good start) for at least 6 weeks-chemical free. I think the eel should go as well...just in case. 6 weeks will be enough time to see through the whole cycle of the parasite's life, making sure no more cysts are hiding on your sand and live rocks.

After the 6 weeks, use the Q-tank to make sure your new purchases don't carry white spots parasite with them before you add them in your main tank.

Good luck!

hi bros...

Thanks so much for all yr advises....

the fishes seems ok liao after 3 days of treatment....

the thing is how do i know when i can put them back in the main tank??? dont really want to let them stay in the Q tank for too long coz Q tank not really fully equiped....

thanks again.. B)

I tried using OCTOZIN in my 3 ft tank. After 3 days still got the same amount of white spot. No more confident in the product.....

Decide to catch my angel and clown fish out and treat inside hospital tank with chelated copper.

Anyway, if anyone interest to buy OCTOZIN, its available in Yishun LFS.

• SRC Member
if octozin not useful means ur tank ich problem very serious oredi. then u gotta use cuprazin. but this is no longer reef safe.

Hi Lightingstrike,

Can I ask when u use the octozin in ur reef tank, does you corals close up? I mean does the corals still open up as normal?

Thanks

most of them will stay open........ but this is too broad a question to answer........ as to whether ur corals open or not when u add octozin to ur tank will depend on other factors too. e.g. water parameters, lights, etc........

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png