Orange Starfish legs roting

lweepin

I just bought a orange star on Sat and one of its legs started to rot off on Sunday.

This morning, 3 of the legs have the same problem.

Initially, I thought that it is already dead but the fact that it is changing its position indicated that it is still alive.

I doubted that I can still save him but can anyone must enlightened me what caused this.

I want to learn from this mistake

This must be my fastest casuality to date :cry2:

post-13774-1203302865.jpg

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Fishs : 1x Cardinalfish, 2 x false Percula Clownfish

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

Tank Thread : [url=http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83257]

Hi bro,

That Starfish should be Fromia indica, they are pretty sensitive to the fluctuation of water parameters and exposure to air will will cause their limps to be infected and rot. Check out this link

Sorry can't do much to help. :(

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

read from wetwebmedia that you can try applying those iodine reef supplement on the injured part and minimize air exposure.

or another way suggested by Anthony Calfo, use a razor or sharp stuff to cut away the injured leg. and try supplment it diet with mysis or shrimp

im 10 days late, how is it doing now?

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

read from wetwebmedia that you can try applying those iodine reef supplement on the injured part and minimize air exposure.

or another way suggested by Anthony Calfo, use a razor or sharp stuff to cut away the injured leg. and try supplment it diet with mysis or shrimp

im 10 days late, how is it doing now?

All the leg become bad and thus I have to remove it last week.

When I bought the starfish from LFS, the staff just take it out of the water and put it in the bag. I do the same when I put it back to the water. It may be during this time, the starfish is exposed to the air. I am amazed how fast the "rotting" started and spread to all the legs.

Thanks for your information. If next time, it occured again, I may try the 2 methods. But I don't think i will dare to buy this type of starfish again in the short term. really like the colour though

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

• SRC Member
All the leg become bad and thus I have to remove it last week.

When I bought the starfish from LFS, the staff just take it out of the water and put it in the bag. I do the same when I put it back to the water. It may be during this time, the starfish is exposed to the air. I am amazed how fast the "rotting" started and spread to all the legs.

Thanks for your information. If next time, it occured again, I may try the 2 methods. But I don't think i will dare to buy this type of starfish again in the short term. really like the colour though

its sad to hear that mate. just nice time be more careful with it. i never seen this starfish lying around in LFS, where you got it?

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

its sad to hear that mate. just nice time be more careful with it. i never seen this starfish lying around in LFS, where you got it?

I got it for $6 from Coral Farm in Lim Chu Kang. I should have bought the blue ones instead

WhiteFish