selling items on SRC

comycus

• SRC Member

Just wondering...

what is the purpose of this forum? is it an open community to share info between hobbyists, enthusiasts, sponsors etc? Would I be frowned upon if I always reply to questions asked "PMed you the answer to your qn"?

Reason is v. simple. Find it a v. weird practice when we have sponsors and reefers alike who get enquiries on how much is a particular item and its always 'pmed'. I understand fishes/corals may have different prices due to seasonality/locality, so its not a fixed price. Even for equipment, we do get discounts due to a variety of reasons, and different circumstances, may also not have a fixed price. So maybe due to all these reasons, we don't post prices.

Wouldn't it be v. frustrating if we post on pasar malam "WTS XYZ, pm me for price"? Would Pasar Malam section even survive if everyone dealt with prices in this manner?

I find these practices just contributing to our own red tape. A suggestion to the mods to consider: why can't sponsors and reefers post the RRSP (Recommended retail selling price)? When I buy a Nikon camera and go to the official Nikon website, I can always find the RRSP. Yes, the RRSP may not be an accurate representation of the price, but at least I know I would not be able to buy a d5100 new with $100. Nor would it cost me $10k.

If discounts were given, yes pls convey through PM (or keep to yourself) due to sensitivity issues. If livestock prices fluctuate like prices of lobster at Jumbo Seafood restaurant, yes pls do feel free to give reasons for not stating price. Otherwise, perhaps the mods can draw up some guidelines when to reflect prices and when not to? The forum should be a place to share information to all, and not only to a select group unless necessary.

Just wondering...

what is the purpose of this forum? is it an open community to share info between hobbyists, enthusiasts, sponsors etc? Would I be frowned upon if I always reply to questions asked "PMed you the answer to your qn"?

Reason is v. simple. Find it a v. weird practice when we have sponsors and reefers alike who get enquiries on how much is a particular item and its always 'pmed'. I understand fishes/corals may have different prices due to seasonality/locality, so its not a fixed price. Even for equipment, we do get discounts due to a variety of reasons, and different circumstances, may also not have a fixed price. So maybe due to all these reasons, we don't post prices.

Wouldn't it be v. frustrating if we post on pasar malam "WTS XYZ, pm me for price"? Would Pasar Malam section even survive if everyone dealt with prices in this manner?

I find these practices just contributing to our own red tape. A suggestion to the mods to consider: why can't sponsors and reefers post the RRSP (Recommended retail selling price)? When I buy a Nikon camera and go to the official Nikon website, I can always find the RRSP. Yes, the RRSP may not be an accurate representation of the price, but at least I know I would not be able to buy a d5100 new with $100. Nor would it cost me $10k.

If discounts were given, yes pls convey through PM (or keep to yourself) due to sensitivity issues. If livestock prices fluctuate like prices of lobster at Jumbo Seafood restaurant, yes pls do feel free to give reasons for not stating price. Otherwise, perhaps the mods can draw up some guidelines when to reflect prices and when not to? The forum should be a place to share information to all, and not only to a select group unless necessary.

Hi comycus, thanks for the suggestion, we will look in to it and monitor that RRSP is posted when they post up when selling items.. but there a lot of post for selling posted per day and very difficult to go thru everything...

I think the pm thing is becos there is a more personal "touch" to the customer...

Again, thanks for the suggestions, we will consider and do the necessary actions..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

i think the reason why some of the people do not wish to advertise their price openly is maybe because their price is too sensitivities ? Anyway, those who did not advert their price openly must have their own reason and in the end they might also loss out customer or potential buyer who do not wish to take the trouble of checking with the seller directly.

The pasa malam section is also part of this open community, so we should also have some freedom on this as well how they wish to conduct their own sales ?

• SRC Member

imo, if seller doesn't state price can also lead to potential scammers.

Imagine I want to sell a black tang and do not reveal price. I know... willing buyer, willing seller... so can sell for 2k? :ph34r:

ok seriously, its these cases that we want to prevent which is why I suggested mods looking at stating a RRP. As mentioned, giving actual price may be sensitive sometimes, like maybe sponsors give good discount but only for initial period or to reward loyalty to repeat customers.

So why not just post RRP as a good practice? up to you guys to decide whether to implement :yahoo: just my feedback

• SRC Member

imo, if seller doesn't state price can also lead to potential scammers.

Imagine I want to sell a black tang and do not reveal price. I know... willing buyer, willing seller... so can sell for 2k? :ph34r:

ok seriously, its these cases that we want to prevent which is why I suggested mods looking at stating a RRP. As mentioned, giving actual price may be sensitive sometimes, like maybe sponsors give good discount but only for initial period or to reward loyalty to repeat customers.

So why not just post RRP as a good practice? up to you guys to decide whether to implement :yahoo: just my feedback

agree with comycus, it is better if seller can list the price for the items...

and i also understand why sometimes seller dont list price.. because there are other seller will go and PM them asking them why sell so low and spoilt market...

but i think it is a must for sponser to list their price...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices