Reducing Nitrate, Phos using Vodka

• SRC Member

Overdosing can cause or worsen cyano problems. Better off using biopellets, much safer & works on the same principle.

I've got Biopellets n po4X4. My phosphate is undetectable. but nitrate still high at 8 or 12ppm. not sure is it u can't use both at same time. read tat pellets need ratio of phosphate n nitrate to work. So is it so?

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

Most test kits only test for inorganic phosphates. Even if this value is zero, there might still be organic phosphates present. I would'nt worry excessively about the nitrate levels, 8-12 ppm is manageable.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Most test kits only test for inorganic phosphates. Even if this value is zero, there might still be organic phosphates present. I would'nt worry excessively about the nitrate levels, 8-12 ppm is manageable.

thanks for e advice

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi friends, i have tried using "Sugar Method" on my tank but it did not really help much for long term. I DIY and using Filter Screen as in Algae Turf Scrubber now. My NO3 had dropped from 50ppm to btw3-5pm.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

i have a 3x2x2. And is very frustrated battling a No3 problem.

I have been using Biopellet for about 2 weeks and i tested that my No3 is really high. >40ppm. I quickly did a WC , and was deciding to do more every alternate days. I also pour abit of Prime seachem in the sump as well to "detoxify nitrate".

So far tested my No2 and Phosphate level to be 0.

My feeding routine will be daily 1x cube of mysis shrimp, 2 small cube of roti and some pellets.

there are about 5 clowns, 2 tangs, 1 parrot, 2 chromis, 1 trigger, 1 dottyback.

Am thinking if i should get a denitrator or should i get another FR for biopellet. Or is there any other suggestions that i can bring my No3 down to a more sustainable level?

Thanks for any advice given!

i suggest, reduce feeding and regular water change at larger %.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

Hi Guys, i have a 3x2x2. And is very frustrated battling a No3 problem. I have been using Biopellet for about 2 weeks and i tested that my No3 is really high. >40ppm. I quickly did a WC , and was deciding to do more every alternate days. I also pour abit of Prime seachem in the sump as well to "detoxify nitrate". So far tested my No2 and Phosphate level to be 0. My feeding routine will be daily 1x cube of mysis shrimp, 2 small cube of roti and some pellets. there are about 5 clowns, 2 tangs, 1 parrot, 2 chromis, 1 trigger, 1 dottyback. Am thinking if i should get a denitrator or should i get another FR for biopellet. Or is there any other suggestions that i can bring my No3 down to a more sustainable level? Thanks for any advice given!
Dose bacteria that are specifically designed for biopellet

i suggest, reduce feeding and regular water change at larger %.

Clement thanks for the input. I am trying to reduce feeding to alternate days (for mysis and roti) but daily for pellets.

Am thinking of trying to get long term sustainability approach in controlling nitrate.

you may want to adopt this method if situation is bad, http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/nitratecontrol/ss/sbsnitratereduction_2.htm

what i read from many hobbyists is that water change at 20/30% every few days doesn't help, as the intervals allows those toxic to buildup again.

the link shows a very daring move to reduce no3 n p04 and other toxic in a one shot attempt, but u need to have alot alot of water to do so.

The best i tried is manage to change 60% in am and 40% in pm. it does bring down n03 down swiftly. after then i readjust my feeding and introduce media to control n03 n p04. (started biopellets, rowa and vodka)

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

you may want to adopt this method if situation is bad, http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/nitratecontrol/ss/sbsnitratereduction_2.htm

what i read from many hobbyists is that water change at 20/30% every few days doesn't help, as the intervals allows those toxic to buildup again.

the link shows a very daring move to reduce no3 n p04 and other toxic in a one shot attempt, but u need to have alot alot of water to do so.

The best i tried is manage to change 60% in am and 40% in pm. it does bring down n03 down swiftly. after then i readjust my feeding and introduce media to control n03 n p04. (started biopellets, rowa and vodka)

Woah thanks for the suggestion, the method is like changing all the water in the tank. I guess that is what i am doing at the moment but at a lower %. Think i will do more WC over the weekend.

Woah thanks for the suggestion, the method is like changing all the water in the tank. I guess that is what i am doing at the moment but at a lower %. Think i will do more WC over the weekend.

I am dosing venigar instead, fantastic result! No cyno and stuff. Of course water change cannot be void.

• 3 weeks later...