SPS

Homegrown corals are pests free and definitely stable as compare to newly arrived sps in LFS.

It sometime more costly but it worth the price.You can imagine a newly bought sps is infected with flat worms and end up killing the rest of the corals.

I would like to share my experience.. I bought 9 SPS (3 for S$100) from one of our LFS when I set up my 4ft tank a while ago..

After 2 weeks, I begin to see little worms (they look like mosquito larva) in 1 of the SPS and I saw an AEFW crawling on the wall of my tank.. I tried to remove it but it was too late.. All the acros died within a week (7 out of 9 SPS bought)..

This tank is newly set up and totally sterile, so there couldn't be any introduction from other corals other than the ones from the LFS.

Of course this could be prevented if I had set up a quarantine tank, but being inexperienced, I didn't consider the possibility of bringing in an infected coral from the LFS.

Just sharing my experience and showing the risk when we get corals from naturally harvested sources..

I will still visit LFS for corals - but will make sure to have a quarantine tank just in case :)

4 x 2 x 1 low tank

DIY LED

Trying to minimise equipment as much as possible.

Would love to make new friends in the reefing community - PM me!

A short video of my tank on a Sunday morning

• SRC Member

Wild sps come with risks...

But many reefers still cheong for shipment..

Colonies much cheaper..frag take long time to grow.

Of course buying wild colony is a hit and run chances.

Buying frag if up lorry.means thats the end.nothing to frag..

I personally like colonies and frags

I started the habit of dipping any newly brought corals before introducing to tank. ever since I got a zoas which looks fine but nuribranch surfaces after a few days.

I'm using lugol solution from Kent marine.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

Yes. But colonies that already conditioned in reefer tanks are normally pestfree else already mati b4 fragging. Of coz, there r others who frag newly bought colonies n sell. So better to view b4 buying.

I thought frags are fagged fr colonies?

I would like to share my experience.. I bought 9 SPS (3 for S$100) from one of our LFS when I set up my 4ft tank a while ago..

After 2 weeks, I begin to see little worms (they look like mosquito larva) in 1 of the SPS and I saw an AEFW crawling on the wall of my tank.. I tried to remove it but it was too late.. All the acros died within a week (7 out of 9 SPS bought)..

This tank is newly set up and totally sterile, so there couldn't be any introduction from other corals other than the ones from the LFS.

Of course this could be prevented if I had set up a quarantine tank, but being inexperienced, I didn't consider the possibility of bringing in an infected coral from the LFS.

Just sharing my experience and showing the risk when we get corals from naturally harvested sources..

I will still visit LFS for corals - but will make sure to have a quarantine tank just in case :)

My experience very similar. I don't believe Coral Rx is 100% effective either at recommended dose. I prefer SPS from local now, but still recommend quartine with multiple dips.

• SRC Member
I would like to share my experience.. I bought 9 SPS (3 for S$100) from one of our LFS when I set up my 4ft tank a while ago.. After 2 weeks, I begin to see little worms (they look like mosquito larva) in 1 of the SPS and I saw an AEFW crawling on the wall of my tank.. I tried to remove it but it was too late.. All the acros died within a week (7 out of 9 SPS bought).. This tank is newly set up and totally sterile, so there couldn't be any introduction from other corals other than the ones from the LFS. Of course this could be prevented if I had set up a quarantine tank, but being inexperienced, I didn't consider the possibility of bringing in an infected coral from the LFS. Just sharing my experience and showing the risk when we get corals from naturally harvested sources.. I will still visit LFS for corals - but will make sure to have a quarantine tank just in case :) My experience very similar. I don't believe Coral Rx is 100% effective either at recommended dose. I prefer SPS from local now, but still recommend quartine with multiple dips.
Agreed. But not justifiable to cater for a QT w home CO :(

• SRC Member

The possibiltiy on having 'pest' is minmum. Also, they are already used to tank condition, so survival rate is suppose to be higher. The SPS frags i got from fellow reefers here is doing well but those I got from LFS, all up lorry.