Scythe butterflyfish Prognathodes falcifer

• SRC Member

I understand these are rarely collected and require cool water.

However have any been offered for sale? I keep my water at 22.9-23.5 degrees. Is this low enough? From what I understand they live in water 16-20 degrees.

• SRC Member

Cannot get. Please consider others. Now there are only 4 to 5 obtainable prognathodes in the market.

I see, whats the reason why they can't be obtained? I know the birch aquarium has a few.

What about Prognathodes carlhubbsi? They look similar

I see, whats the reason why they can't be obtained? I know the birch aquarium has a few.

What about Prognathodes carlhubbsi? They look similar

Need alot of effort and money to get one. Only one batch came into Japan after waiting for 20 yrs! In that batch only one survived.

Anyway there are other beautiful, expensive and obtainable prognathodes around. If you are willing to pay there are two of them your consideration will be prognathodes basabei and prognathodes guyanensis.

One guyanensis has came in. However no basabei yet.

• SRC Member

wow, when was this and what was the price of the falcifer they paid? is it still alive?

from what I understand there was a point where they were not collected for 10 years! any reason for this? surely there is demand for this fish

P. guyanensis is a great candidate as it does not require as cold a temperature as far as I know