Friendly Reminder to Dip Corals

This is a friendly reminder to all fellow reefers to always dip their corals irregardless of the source.

I recently bought a few yumas from an LFS and upon initial visual inspection everything seemed fine. However, when dipped in Revive Coral Cleaner and using a turkey baster to loosen any debris, several dozen flatworms and even a few small red bristleworms came loose. The frags were totally infested. 

A second extended coral dip was performed after using bone cutters to remove as much of the rock as possible.

Introducing that many pests into a reef tank can wipe out all the coral and require you to start the tank from scratch. Please beware. 

Would like to seek advice from senior reefers if it is advisable to reveal the LFS that was the source of the pests. Thanks.

03072E17-16C5-418A-B8FD-2950DEA42046.jpeg

CDEA37DA-0682-405F-ABEE-9255F0AA5B91.jpeg

• SRC Member

Flatworms is pest, but not usual from new coral shipment. They are usually migrated from infested tank.

Bristleworms and fireworms can be cleaning crews, but can also cause problems as stated in their name. They are present in all life rocks. I don't like worms, I like pods.

There are numbers of reef fishes that would prey on small worms.

• SRC Supporter

Thanks for the reminder.

Need to dip corals even if it’s from good friends or reputable reefers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/