Carpet anemone ate my fish..

kaykay

• SRC Member

Darn carpet anemone...

Introduced a pair of purple firefish.. and i was happily watching them frollicking around for the next 10 mins..

Then i went away for a while. Suddenly heard my wife shouting at me to come to the tank. Curiously i sauntered to see what the big was... There it was.. one of the firefish was already half encased in the anemone tentacles.

I quickly climbed onto a chair to help released the fish. But that damned anemone grabbed my fingers even, and gripped even tighter onto her dinner.

After much tugging and digging at the anemone, finally got the fish out... But bless her soul, she is already halfway to fish heaven liao..

My fingered were also pockmarked.

post-7-1115657441.jpg

• SRC Member

This is the fella with the iron strong grip.

Anyway i tried to pull that the killer out of my tank before any more damage can be done, and lo, it was a tough tug of war. Took me a full 2 mins and with the help of a plastic bag and a ladder before it could be uprooted.

I think i tore its tissues a bit ( heard a few snaps while pulling... she deserves it ). It does not open to its usual span even after 1 full day in the sump with PL lights on 24/7. Worse still found some tissues disintegrating from the anemone.. Yikes, gotta throw it away before toxins are released..

post-7-1115657831.jpg

• SRC Member

This is its usual glory...

Always found the tentacles sticky, but never imaging it preying on my fishes... Now at least i know where 2 other missing gobies and a cleaner wrasse went to..

Imagine what it did to my skin, more so damage it did to the fishes..

post-7-1115658154.jpg

• SRC Member
Its not the anemone fault.. its yours, cos you din read up enough on the behavior and potent sting carpets have thus indirectly causing the lives of your fire gobies too.... ;););)

DA:

"Down, boy", "Down". Bro, give him a break lah.

I reckon he knows abt the "stingingness"(is there such a word?) of carpet anemone just that he didn't expect it to be so destructive mah. Same goes with mine too, I'm fully aware of the danger of the carpet anemone to my fish but I only realised that she is the murderer to some of my precious fish until I caught her red handed. Furthermore, I have 2 clarkii clown hosting in it at that time and I also feed her with market prawn fortnightly.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member
Its not the anemone fault.. its yours, cos you din read up enough on the behavior and potent sting carpets have thus indirectly causing the lives of your fire gobies too....  ;)  ;)  ;)

agreed.

you should have done your homework enough before getting any particular LS. if you had got a suitable clownfish to host it, then the clown would have guarded it vigilantly and no dartfish can come close to end up as a meal.

All drain lead to ocean?? you mean you ever measure the drain water at your house area for salinity? parameters? thats why your action sugguest the poor fellow will find its way back home???.. alive?? Or, actually you dun bother?

• SRC Member

agreed.

you should have done your homework enough before getting any particular LS. if you had got a suitable clownfish to host it, then the clown would have guarded it vigilantly and no dartfish can come close to end up as a meal.

All drain lead to ocean?? you mean you ever measure the drain water at your house area for salinity? parameters? thats why your action sugguest the poor fellow will find its way back home???.. alive?? Or, actually you dun bother?

Duh.. The anemone was already beginnning to rot in my sump liao lah.. Who in the rite frame of mind would release an anemone into a drain? Or worse, flush it down the bowl? :sick:

I threw it away in a sealed plastic bag, so no contamination of our environment... I hope..

I never tought this could be the culprit for the few MIA fish, until I caught it red-handed leh..

Thanks for the reminder, nowadays i take the approach of one of the brothers here, ie, see a LS I fancy, leave it at the LFS first. Go back study a bit about it, then if found compatible, go back to get it. If it's still there, it's fated. If not, at least some knowledge gained.

The anemone in question was one of the first acquisitions in my 5-month old tank. Then, this "see-study-then buy mentality" was not in my mind yet..

True, i didn't realise the potent sting of this fella. Now i know first hand.. :ooh:

post-7-1115705047.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hey i use to have this green carpet anemone,true that its super sticky .... it got one of my wrasse that was swimming damn fast that it accidentally bang into the big sticky trap and never get out from there.

Lucky for me that it only got one of my wrasse ,i finally decided to throw it back to the sea because it is becoming a nuisance as it is occupying a lot of place for my other corals.It is like the size of a frying pan when it is fully extend.

For my case only had this luminous green carpet for 1 week and had 2 common clown, 1 big 1 small, started having fun in them two days ago. At first was only the very small clown sleeping AT THE MOUTH, but the next day the larger one joined it and both are surviving well. Hopefully the anemone can survive for 6 mnths at least. But its always nice to see clowns swimming in them.

• SRC Member

carpets are known to eat up just about anything that can feed into thier mouth, so even the swift tangs are not spared if they get too close. Also, should they decided to take a stroll, the neighbouring corals will be in danger of being stung. carpets are recommended to house in species tank.

But they are my favorite, hence my avartar :D

I was wondering if there are clowns hosting the carpet, then chances of your favourite tang being eaten will be rare cos the hosting clown would have been guarding it, displaying high territorial behaviour.

Any bros wan to enlighten me on this??

• SRC Member
carpets are recommended to house in species tank.

But they are my favorite, hence my avartar :D

Huh?

Bro you mean those are carpet anemones in your avatar ah?...

Sorry pardon my ignorance, but i thought they looked like microscopic image of some pollens or something like that... :lol::lol::paiseh:

I had also lost some fishes to my carpet anemone. Had given away.

The loss : powder blue, cleaner shrimp, lemon angel, chromis. Never suspect until I saw the anemone vomit the remain of my powder blue. 1 early morning at 4am saw my cleaner shrimp hanging aound the anemone, at 6am it wrap around the shrimp. That is my final straw, so I gave it away. My maroon clown is hosting the green tip anemone and will chase any fish that get too near. So I think it will do the same for the carpet. I approach a few LFS to give them the anemone, telling them the story but no on took it.

cheers

:)

• SRC Member
hm... bro... does ur hand hurt? hm... looks painful... i like to play wit carpet anemone leh.. but it has nvr done tat kind of damage to my hands... hm... scary... :shock:

It only hurt when that bugger sucked on the fingers and didn't want to let go. The pockmarks only looks scary, and they only went off a few hours after the incident.

What an experience though.. <_<

I lose 1 5ft foxface to a haddon due to it come too close. anemones are not hunters, just opportunist.

i remove my haddon as i have sohal, yellow and regal tangs.

too expensive to risk

see foxface captured by haddon

http://www.myfish.info/modules.php?name=Fo...6dd97586c#65541