Keeping sponges

blueheaven

I read about this in an issue of FAMA and I thought it would be good to share some key points written in that article.

There are 2 parts of a sponge which are important in keeping it live and thriving.

First is the ostia and these are the tiny pores you see on the surface of the sponge. These pores are where water enters the sponge.

Then there is the oscula and these are the big "holes" which are even more observable. These are where water exits the sponge.

There is also another group of cells in between them called the collar cells and they trap food present in the water for the sponge.

So basically water enters through the ostia, passes through the collar cells and then exits from the oscula.

So what does all this relate to the successful keeping of sponges?

First of all, let us see the diet of sponges. Since the collar cells trap food for the sponge, it can only take in bacteria and some microplankton since these cells are microscopic. These are, however, some sponges which come from brighter areas of the reef and they have zooxathellae, cyanobacteria and some microscopic organisms to aid in their nutrition but that only accounts for a small number of species.

In order for a sponge to thrive in captivity, the reefer must ensure that they have the necessary microscopic organisms to provide nutrition to the sponges.

DSBs and large quantities of LR would help as the various life forms that proliferate might just hit the jackpot.

Next is the placement of the sponge. Sponges usually prefer to be in areas of moderate, multidirectional flow as the water carries food to it and takes away its waste. Another important factor of how water flow affects the sponge is that water flowing at the oscula would create a little vacuum that helps the sponge take in water from the ostia. Since most sponges come in weird shapes, it is important to provide multidirectional flow to ensure that the flow hits the oscula in the right way to create that vacuum.

Lastly is the handling of the sponge. The top factor why sponges die in captivity is that it is exposed to air somewhere in its journey to the reefer's tank. Sponges are like a series of plumbing and if an air bubble is trapped, cells around that bubble would start to die off and then the cells around these cells will also start to die off. The reefer would by then notice that the sponge is slowly wasting away.

The correct way to handle a sponge is not to let it be exposed to air at all and the reefer must check for trapped air bubbles before buying a specimen.

I hope this mini guide would provide some insight into the successful keeping of sponges and feel free to tell me whether I had made any mistake anywhere in this guide :)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

I think it depends

If the cells around that air bubble die and regenerate back then it's good but I think in most cases the sponge would just waste away :(

I find that positioning 2 powerheards facing each other seem to work well