Nano skimmer

peacemaker

• SRC Member

Hi... has anyone used this skimmer with success? I bought it for my Nano tank, but couldn't seem to get it to work. It does not come with a pump. I've tried using a Jebo 600L/H pump, but it hardly produces any bubbles. A few kind reefers told me to go for something stronger, like a 1000L/H capacity. Would like to hear from you guys first before taking that step. Help?

post-13914-1200806975.jpg

• SRC Member

My friend almost bought this fella too but cannot figure how it works thus went for the resun nano skimmer instead. You got this at C328 I guess? :rolleyes: go back to where you bought this set and ask the to show u how.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
so how is it working now? any good? gotpic?

Haven't had the time to try it. Kinda verified that it needs at least a 1000l/hr pump to do the job. I was looking for an Atman pump for this, but it was out of stock. Will update once I get it and fire it up. :paiseh:

• SRC Member
Haven't had the time to try it. Kinda verified that it needs at least a 1000l/hr pump to do the job. I was looking for an Atman pump for this, but it was out of stock. Will update once I get it and fire it up. :paiseh:

haha, ok thanks! looking forward to your review before i purchase. =)

• 1 month later...
haha, ok thanks! looking forward to your review before i purchase. =)

Go to the LCK Farm Mart, there is a marine shop, and the uncle has one running in one of their coral holding tank. It seems to work fine when I saw it, and I was completely puzzled ... why? Becoz I bought this model before, and it does not produce any skimmate! ha ha ha ...

The darn thing is still somewhere in my storeroom. The observation is that the uncle is using a powerhead with a very very high flow rate.

• SRC Member

Well, I have not used that skimmer before... but here's what I'll do....

Examine how the air bubble is introduce in your skimmer design. If skimmer design in a way that air bubble is introduce after the pump then it is a venturi. If no air bubble introduction in skimmer design, it is a needlewheel.

If venturi, then the cause is highly due to insufficient pump power.

If needlewheel, make sure there is air introduction is made in the pump....

PS: BTW, 600l/hr pump is kind of small to drive any decent skimmer IMHO.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
Go to the LCK Farm Mart, there is a marine shop, and the uncle has one running in one of their coral holding tank. It seems to work fine when I saw it, and I was completely puzzled ... why? Becoz I bought this model before, and it does not produce any skimmate! ha ha ha ...

The darn thing is still somewhere in my storeroom. The observation is that the uncle is using a powerhead with a very very high flow rate.

Bah... I'm staying in the east and do not have my own transport, so LCK is out of question. The next time you drop by, mind asking the uncle the flow rate of his pump and how he managed to get it to work? :thanks: in advance!

• SRC Member
Well, I have not used that skimmer before... but here's what I'll do....

Examine how the air bubble is introduce in your skimmer design. If skimmer design in a way that air bubble is introduce after the pump then it is a venturi. If no air bubble introduction in skimmer design, it is a needlewheel.

If venturi, then the cause is highly due to insufficient pump power.

If needlewheel, make sure there is air introduction is made in the pump....

PS: BTW, 600l/hr pump is kind of small to drive any decent skimmer IMHO.

Thanks for the clarification, Bro Kareen! And yes, 600l/hr is indeed too small to drive this skimmer. Tried and tested, as stated in my first post. It states there as being a cataract skimmer... no clue how it works.

• SRC Member

You can try the Atman 104 pump. It has a flowrate of 1200L/H if I'm not wrong. It only cost about $12-$20.

Thats what I used for my Weipro 2011 skimmer before. Shouldn't have a problem with this skimmer. :whistle

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member
Thanks for the clarification, Bro Kareen! And yes, 600l/hr is indeed too small to drive this skimmer. Tried and tested, as stated in my first post. It states there as being a cataract skimmer... no clue how it works.

Examine how the air is draw into the skimmer body.... u will know whether it is a venturi or needlewheel concept of skimming. Cataract is just a brand name. A needlewheel skimmer will not be able to introduces any bubble if no air is drawed into the pump. The reason I mention here is because the skimmer did not come with pump so there may be a possibility that it is a needlewheel skimmer. If it is a needlewheel then giving a 5000l/hr pump will not work too.... From your dialog here, likely this is a venturi skimmer and so giving a stronger pump will work for you liao.... :)

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
You can try the Atman 104 pump. It has a flowrate of 1200L/H if I'm not wrong. It only cost about $12-$20.

Thats what I used for my Weipro 2011 skimmer before. Shouldn't have a problem with this skimmer. :whistle

Thanks Bro Firestarter! I'll give it a try. :)

• SRC Member
Examine how the air is draw into the skimmer body.... u will know whether it is a venturi or needlewheel concept of skimming. Cataract is just a brand name. A needlewheel skimmer will not be able to introduces any bubble if no air is drawed into the pump. The reason I mention here is because the skimmer did not come with pump so there may be a possibility that it is a needlewheel skimmer. If it is a needlewheel then giving a 5000l/hr pump will not work too.... From your dialog here, likely this is a venturi skimmer and so giving a stronger pump will work for you liao.... :)

Hahah... I thought "cataract" meant some type of skimmer. :paiseh:

Thanks for your advice! I should be trying my 1300L/Hr pump first, and if it doesn't work, then I'll try Firestarter's suggestion.

I'm currently using another skimmer, so this one's been put to storage. Should I start another nano, I'll definitely give it a shot. :thanks:

• 7 months later...
Hahah... I thought "cataract" meant some type of skimmer. :paiseh:

Thanks for your advice! I should be trying my 1300L/Hr pump first, and if it doesn't work, then I'll try Firestarter's suggestion.

I'm currently using another skimmer, so this one's been put to storage. Should I start another nano, I'll definitely give it a shot. :thanks:

so did u try a 1300 l/hr pump ? is the skimmer working ?

I have the same skimmer and i m still figuring out how to make it work :whistle