Starting My Nano 1.5ft Reef Tank

cast x

Hi all, like to share the setting up of my humble nano reef tank. It is a FivePlan 1.5ft tank previously from a freshwater setup. Im using all equipments and pumps from the previous setup. :blush: Actually I've stop reefing 4 years ago. And now looking at the nano my hands are itching to start again. :poster_oops: And thus the initial startup.

Started cycling with LR(2KG) on the 11/9/11. I'm using salt mix from REDSEA. I would be using a PC fan to cool down the temp. Would like to get LED Lights too so the tank temp wont be so hot.

For the cycling period I do not switch on the lights and fan. Would like to maintain a temp of 29 to 30 facilitate the growing of bacteria. Ah yes, forgot to mention, using external canister 600l/h for bio and mech filteration.

Thinking of Zoas and soft coral for the tank. 1 or 2 fish max.

Please comment and me need advice.

Wish me luck fellow reefers!! :bow:

Here's the pic of my humble tank.

photo1.jpg

Hey bro, ever thought of getting an surface skimmer and connect to your filter inlet? Will help the remove the oil film on the water surface

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Hey bro, ever thought of getting an surface skimmer and connect to your filter inlet? Will help the remove the oil film on the water surface

Oh yes.. :idea: Thanks for the idea bro. I would like to DIY the skimmer..any webbie or threads to recommend? :cheers:

Do consider using overflow n a sump where all Ur equip in it in the near future. Cos u will soon find u will not hv enough space. ^_^ for Ur favourite zoas.

I would love to have an overflow system and a sump to carry out maintenance in the future. As for now if my nano turns out good then will brainwash my wifey to get a bigger aquarium like we used to have with sump and chillers. Wish me luck bro. (the brainwash part) He he. . .

For long term success it is still better to have a complete system with overflow and sump tank. Slowly you might find that you will be spending more and more money on fish / corals ect and you will need a better system for them to survive..

For long term success it is still better to have a complete system with overflow and sump tank. Slowly you might find that you will be spending more and more money on fish / corals ect and you will need a better system for them to survive..

Agree with you bro. :agreed:

Oh yes.. Thanks for the idea bro. I would like to DIY the skimmer..any webbie or threads to recommend?

Hey bro...

http://c1.f3images.com/IMD/250/EH3535/Eheim-Surface-Extractor-99.jpg

This is the eheim surface extractor. Removes water from the surface and bottom of the tank. Connect this to you water inlet of your canister filter. Can be bought from most lfs - c328, pet mart, Qianhu etc. Cheers!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Bro, also your canister is only 600l/Hr. You might need to get another mini wave waker in your tank. Also I prefer your 1st scape :) more crevices

Hi all reefers, I hereby would like to share the update of my humble nano tank.

Added 3 clownfish and a goniopora. Also I did a 30% WC and change the lighting. I installed a 36w PL tube consisting of blue and white. Added a PC fan too. Temp is around 26c to 28c.

I DIY the lighting canopy and install the ballast further from the tank itself as to facilitate cooler temps. B)

Feel free to comment!! :ThanxSmiley:

Cheers! :friends:

Here's the pic, sorry pic quality not good. :paiseh:

FTS.jpg

Goniopora

gonoporia.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey castx, great progress !

you might want to try to build some caves with the rocks you have.

then you can place the corals on top.

also instead of buying the entire coral, maybe share frags with friends.

frags will be more suitable for nanos.

cheers

JAcky