using IQ skimmer on IQ3

vipermako

• SRC Member

i hv modified the IQ skimmer meant for IQ5 to be used on my IQ3 by sawing away about 2 inches of the tube.

would this affect skimmer performance? now the bottom side of the collecting bowl is touching on the top edge of the tank.

The bubbles from the air-wood, however, don't seem to be very small.

Anyone tried using this skimmer on their IQ5? and managed to get the "good stuff" out?

• SRC Member

how about changing the wooden air stone? where did you get the IQ Skimmer from anyway?

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

how about changing the wooden air stone? where did you get the IQ Skimmer from anyway?

maybe hv not break in.

got the IQ skimmer when i bought the IQ5 from aquaempire.

it is meant to be slotted into the middle compartment.

but i shorten tube to insert into my IQ3

i hv modified the IQ skimmer meant for IQ5 to be used on my IQ3 by sawing away about 2 inches of the tube.

would this affect skimmer performance? now the bottom side of the collecting bowl is touching on the top edge of the tank.

The bubbles from the air-wood, however, don't seem to be very small.

Anyone tried using this skimmer on their IQ5? and managed to get the "good stuff" out?

It isn't wise to modify the way u did but it's too late. Normally, such skimmers need a longer reacting column n u can use a ceramic airstone to improve bubbling but of course the airpump needs to be stronger. The airstone can be re-used simply by heating over a stove to get it all white again.

• SRC Member

It isn't wise to modify the way u did but it's too late. Normally, such skimmers need a longer reacting column n u can use a ceramic airstone to improve bubbling but of course the airpump needs to be stronger. The airstone can be re-used simply by heating over a stove to get it all white again.

oh! i hv cut about 2 inch. Does it mean it will no longer skim out the "good stuff" or only performance will not be as good, with the shorter column?

oh! i hv cut about 2 inch. Does it mean it will no longer skim out the "good stuff" or only performance will not be as good, with the shorter column?

It should still b usable. Usually the effectiveness n design of a skimmer is tested before mass production. But don't expect it to rival one

which uses a powerhead.