Flame Angel Color Fading

• SRC Member

Do you guys have problem keeping the red coloration in your Flame Angels?

I don't own one now. In fact, I'm looking for striking red Flame Angels. But as I look back at past photos of the pair of Flame Angels I had before I decommed, I realised that their color turned orange overtime. Do you guys face the same problem?

Do you guys have problem keeping the red coloration in your Flame Angels?

I don't own one now. In fact, I'm looking for striking red Flame Angels. But as I look back at past photos of the pair of Flame Angels I had before I decommed, I realised that their color turned orange overtime. Do you guys face the same problem?

Very common thing !!

SMALL ( better even tiny) Flame Angels are much deeper in red color then the large ones BUT!!!! it all depends on collecting area...

Again all tiny and small are more or less equal. The orange center ones ( orange/red) come VIA Hawaii from Marshall Islands .. and are mostly poor quality. If I tell you how they are collected you would NEVER buy them!! The pure solid orange center are bigger in size and originate from Christmas Island. AC Shepardi is much to prefer over these ones!!

The true BLOOD RED ones ( even when XXL) are Nick Named Centropyge flammeus and come from DEEP-WATER Hawaii but!! most like a couple of dozen per year only..

Christmas Island and Marshall Island 'Flames "are CHEAP.... only a few dollars FOB ( free on board)....

Most expensive ones a the dozen or so deepwater collected ones from Hawaii

Flames from Philippines are red, but do vary also.They are more expensive and of good quality ( since I ship them... ha ha)...

Well, I hope this answers to your need for an answer.

Cheers ( although I never drink)

Johan

• SRC Member

Thanks for the insight Johan, will be looking forward to your next flame shipment.

The other problem is if I managed to get a piece that is blood red, will their color end up fading like the previous Flames that I had? Izzit due to their diet, water condition or izzit juz something that will happen to Flames in captivity?

• SRC Member

Johan, when you mentioned that the Flame Angels are of poor quality.. Do you refer to their colour or health?

I mean there is nothing much we can do about their colours. Importantly, they stay healthy and have normal mortality.. that's at least important to me.

Kindly advise from your experience.

Thanks.

Guan

Thanks for the insight Johan, will be looking forward to your next flame shipment.

The other problem is if I managed to get a piece that is blood red, will their color end up fading like the previous Flames that I had? Izzit due to their diet, water condition or izzit juz something that will happen to Flames in captivity?

Like I said.. all smaller Flames are mostly solid of red color.. but they can fade in time.. Please tell me the entire story like time frame and so on..

Diet could well be part of the game as well but once again you do not give me much to get hold on...

I will welcome all input from you as always!

Johan, when you mentioned that the Flame Angels are of poor quality.. Do you refer to their colour or health?

I mean there is nothing much we can do about their colours. Importantly, they stay healthy and have normal mortality.. that's at least important to me.

Kindly advise from your experience.

Thanks.

Guan

I was indeed referring to the QUALITY or should I say LACK of Quality..The FOB price for Marshall Island Flames is less then fingers on a hand........

• SRC Member

Like I said.. all smaller Flames are mostly solid of red color.. but they can fade in time.. Please tell me the entire story like time frame and so on..

Diet could well be part of the game as well but once again you do not give me much to get hold on...

I will welcome all input from you as always!

I kept them for over two years before letting them go when I decom. I got them around 2" & 2.5" and towards the end they were orange in color. Fed them with Ocean Nutrition and New Life Spectrum Pellets, and mysis marinated with vitachem, selcon and garlic express. Like Bulldozer said, the important thing is to have them healthy. I thought I fed them with the best stuff already, but if they are fading in color, something must be wrong somewhere right? Are there any ways to keep/improve their coloration in a way that doesn't harm them?

• SRC Member

I kept them for over two years before letting them go when I decom. I got them around 2" & 2.5" and towards the end they were orange in color. Fed them with Ocean Nutrition and New Life Spectrum Pellets, and mysis marinated with vitachem, selcon and garlic express. Like Bulldozer said, the important thing is to have them healthy. I thought I fed them with the best stuff already, but if they are fading in color, something must be wrong somewhere right? Are there any ways to keep/improve their coloration in a way that doesn't harm them?

I guess we cannot change or help improve the colours due to many factors, especially environment and living conditions with constraints.

I also feed mine with pellets soak with Garlic Guard, vitamins and Mysis.

Personally, I am happy with it's simple orange colour and he is fat.

As long as he don't fall sick and stay the healthy happy way... I felt happy too.

Coloration wise... it'll be a bonus if there is a safe way to help them to improve.

plus pray hard he don't suka suka bully my other smaller angels... :lol:

• 1 month later...