Looking to start

• SRC Member

Swee! I hijack thread liow haha. May I ask which is the least leychey and confirm can work (see no algae) method to control Nitrate /Phosphate? I really can't decide, water change is out, my back cannot tahan.

1) Algae Scrubber

2) Biopellet + P04 reactor

3) Vodka Dosing

4) Biodigest Dosing

I haven't started designing the sump, but I have to make space if I want (1) or (2). I think (2) damn expensive. How :(

Some people has certain methods that works for them but some can't make it work. All information from overseas sites, but locally, not much people swears by anything at all. I would like some ideas from local guys, perhaps our air is bit different or something :lol:

well.. people have different ways to control that and many of us do trial and error before deciding which is best for us..

there are many methods to control nitrate and phosphate.. water change is one of them too.. as long as your husbandry is good you should be on the safe side.. i would vote for algae scrubber as that is the most natural way of removing high nutrients.. just my 2cents!

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Ray,

I think what he meant was, should he invest in an RO/DI system, or can he just use over-night tap water or dose addictives like Neutrafin (speeling?) for his salt mixes.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

• SRC Member

Ray,

I think what he meant was, should he invest in an RO/DI system, or can he just use over-night tap water or dose addictives like Neutrafin (speeling?) for his salt mixes.

yeah.. i replied that too.. i do not recommend over-night tap water.. what i do is to use distilled water.. thats one of the choices.. =]

Hi guys,

thanks for the strong response.

I am pretty set on the RSM130 for several reasons and some I've shared earlier. I think apart from skimmer and adding a wavemaker + chiller, I have no further intention to upgrade anything else. This tank will be basic. Just a few fish and simple corals - load will be relatively light compared to what I see of other RSMs on the internet. If I want to race at sepang, I'll try to find the money to buy a ferlarlee in the future. For now, simple set up for me is sufficient. All I need is a stable and reliable setup.

The internet forums have been a great source of information. But at the same time, I feel it's clouded my small mind because there are so many things people "swear by" or "strongly recommend" or "must have".....just like the RO/DI water....I'm not sure if every reef hobbyist only uses distilled water or RO/DI water. Seems like everyone is NOT using tap water? RO/DI water system also got problem for me. Coz I don't know where in my house I can set up the system. Kitchen cannot, common toilet no license, masterbedroom toilet no license......dunno where liao.

How do all the kind bros here settle their water source? If buy distilled water from LFS, what's the typical size of the purchase? How big are the tanks? Cham liao, if buy distilled water, need to find place to store.......siao liao

Thanks again everyone

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I am pretty set on the RSM130 for several reasons and some I've shared earlier. I think apart from skimmer and adding a wavemaker + chiller, I have no further intention to upgrade anything else. This tank will be basic. Just a few fish and simple corals - load will be relatively light compared to what I see of other RSMs on the internet. If I want to race at sepang, I'll try to find the money to buy a ferlarlee in the future. For now, simple set up for me is sufficient. All I need is a stable and reliable setup.

The internet forums have been a great source of information. But at the same time, I feel it's clouded my small mind because there are so many things people "swear by" or "strongly recommend" or "must have".....just like the RO/DI water....I'm not sure if every reef hobbyist only uses distilled water or RO/DI water. Seems like everyone is NOT using tap water? RO/DI water system also got problem for me. Coz I don't know where in my house I can set up the system. Kitchen cannot, common toilet no license, masterbedroom toilet no license......dunno where liao.

How do all the kind bros here settle their water source? If buy distilled water from LFS, what's the typical size of the purchase? How big are the tanks? Cham liao, if buy distilled water, need to find place to store.......siao liao

Thanks again everyone

Bro.. if RO/DI cannot, you would best use distilled water..

my tank is a 24G.. about 1/2 the size of your tank? i buy distilled water from NTUC in a carton.. easier to stall.. else you can try using those water dispenser kind of big gallon thingy.. cant remember what it is called.. lol

Wah bro Ray,

buy from NTUC ah? Chor or not? 1 month roughly how much you spend on the distilled water alone? How often you change water and how much water?

Thanks man. Sorry so many Qs. Damn pai say but i think better ask otherwise my ###### will burn when I make mistakes I can't handle! :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

erm... 3 bottles for $1 plus.. i change 10% every 2 weeks so math below...

Tank Vol = 90L

Water change = 10% = 9L

1.5L of distilled water bottles needed = 6 bottles

therefore.. i spend about 6-8 dollars a month?

for your tank size with bi weekly water change.. i do suggest at least 10 bottles... thats why go for the water dispenser thingy..

• SRC Member

No worries about asking questions bro... if i can help i will... afterall isnt this what the forum is suppose to be in the first place? To help and to share ideas...:pinch:

just as long you do not make mistakes when everyone advise you not to... (please do not take reference of this to your choice of RSM130.. It really is your choice! What im referring to is buying fishes without cycling.. have 10 medium fishes in a small nano tank , etc.. ):peace:

Reading through this post kinda remind me of my reefing journey 7 months back. But lucky for me, I've been keeping Aro for a few years, so have some basic water chemistry knowledge.

My personnal 0.00002 cents advice is to first understand some basic water chemistry. For both fresh and salt water, understanding the nitrogen cycle is important. This will keep your livestock alive. Secondly, more importantly for marine, research on marine water chemistry like the relationship of calcium, managisum and kh. Once you understand these, then you'll know why everyone says bigger is better.

One of the biggest headache I had when I started was the control of algea. I realize that unless your tank is very lightly stock, algea will be a problem. So, other than a skimmer, you might want to consider biopellets to reduce nitrate and po4 removing media like rowapro. Of cos, these would require a fluid reactor each.

The next bigger problem is water temperature due to the weather here in SG. If you're going FOWLR, then, it's not so much a concern, but with corals, esp those super sensitive ones, then the temp have to be maintained constant. My tank temp is always maintained at a constant 25 degrees.

Hi guys,

Thanks again everyone

I would advice try not to use tap water if can, this is due to the presents of nitrate, silicon and other elements that might be undesirable. I use distiller water delivery to my house. $8 for a 19 lit bottle. Usually use 1 or 2 bottles per week, so cost wise, about $64 per month, this is excluding salt mix cost.

I don't think anyone buy distiller water from LFS. we usually buy NSW from LFS. But i think usually it's the farms that sells NSW. it's cheaper, at about $2~ $4 for about 20 lit, iirc. But the problem is lugging back 20 lit of water is no joke. Even for me who drive, I gave up after 2 tries. Would rather have distiller water delivery to my doorstep.

Hope I don't add to your confusion and happy reefing. :)

Did a bit more research today and also took taxi and bus to reef depot. Guy there was fantastic. I am very impressed by his patience and willingness to help. Ro/di looks like a very possible option now. I didn't think it was possible in my new home but now I know it's possible to split the water source between the ro/di system and the washing machine! So simple and I feel like a muppet for not having thought of that before.

More research now!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, please don't laugh hor.....

Now toying with idea of getting a sump tank that can fit the cabinet of the RSM130. I want to get a chiller and of course a solid bad ###### skimmer and media system.

Any recommendations on a super duper in-sump skimmer? Does it mean better I get better water cleaning if I get a skimmer that can handle a 100gal tank and use it for a 50gal tank?

How about the chiller? I'm guessing I also need to get a pump to move the water to/from the tank through the chiller? Are there in-sump chillers?

Lastly, the media system - is this usually part of the sump tank design? Any recommendations?

Thanks very much!

• SRC Member

Now toying with idea of getting a sump tank that can fit the cabinet of the RSM130. I want to get a chiller and of course a solid bad ###### skimmer and media system.

Not sure if you are able to connect a sump for the RSM giving that it is suppose to be a plug and play.. you might need to drill holes

Any recommendations on a super duper in-sump skimmer? Does it mean better I get better water cleaning if I get a skimmer that can handle a 100gal tank and use it for a 50gal tank?

There are many different skimmers in the market to choose from.. A good indicator of equiptment is to see what are the skimmer experience hobbist normally use.. and there are different views about the situation you discribe (overskimming).. IMHO i think its better to "Overskim"

How about the chiller? I'm guessing I also need to get a pump to move the water to/from the tank through the chiller? Are there in-sump chillers?

In Sump Chiller i think only have 2.. Iceprobe (not practical for your tank cos underpowered) and compressor (a titanium coil place in-sump)..

for the rest, yes, you would need a pump for the chiller..

Lastly, the media system - is this usually part of the sump tank design? Any recommendations?

Usually part of the sump design, likes of Filter socks, wool, and even the use of FR for PO4 remover.. you can also consider using biopellets..

HTH!:cheers: