Choice of skimmer for 2ft tank

Rxcp14

• SRC Member

hi all, made the wrong step of getting a poor skimmer by dymax, only able to get green tea skimate. Im planning to get a skimmer but cant decide amongst the following:

1) tunze 9002

2) reef octopus otp 2000(HOB)

3) red sea prizm(HOB)

Or any others that are better but within the price range of $200 +/- $50. please advice on the best one and reason why its good. Do note that im running sumpless. Thanks!:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Actually the skimmate also depends on your bioload and the tunning of the skimmer.

The skimmate you are getting could be due to low bioload and the skimmer tunned to watery skimmate.

I don't have experience in the skimmers mentioned except Red Sea Prizm and MCE300.

The Red Sea Prizm had the skimmate tend to have more debris accumulation at neck of the cup thus frequent cleaning would be good.

I once upgraded to MCE300 but my skimmate is similarly watery.

The advantage of MCE300 is probably the denser bubble foam that allow faster removal of nutrients and allows for larger bioload.

I changed back to Prizm skimmer due to:

My bioload is manageable by the Prizm skimmer.

I prefer the slimmer design.

I prefer the tinted skimmer cup as I don't like to see the dirty skimmate since we are running sumpless.

I don't like the return of the MCE300.

Lastly, I am using the surface attachment for Prizm which MCE300 does not come with.

Cheers..

Currently upgraded to 3ft with other skimmer.

But i still keep a Prizm Skimmer in store in case I need it for a quarantine tank.

using the prizm. Needs frequent cleaning, other than that, not much prob with it. Prizm can also get cheaply at the pasar malam section.I also like the fact that the prizm is slim and it has a big collection cup. No experience with the rest.

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Actually the skimmate also depends on your bioload and the tunning of the skimmer.

The skimmate you are getting could be due to low bioload and the skimmer tunned to watery skimmate.

I don't have experience in the skimmers mentioned except Red Sea Prizm and MCE300.

The Red Sea Prizm had the skimmate tend to have more debris accumulation at neck of the cup thus frequent cleaning would be good.

The advantage of MCE300 is probably the denser bubble foam that allow faster removal of nutrients and allows for larger bioload.

I prefer the tinted skimmer cup as I don't like to see the dirty skimmate since we are running sumpless.

Lastly, I am using the surface attachment for Prizm which MCE300 does not come with.

Cheers..

But i still keep a Prizm Skimmer in store in case I need it for a quarantine tank.

+1 to bro lim. The prizm I got from him with the surface attachment really helps even as compared with my old prizm without the attachment.especially without a sump and overflow the attachment helps keep the surface clean of junk.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Cheers..

Thanks for advice, wanted to go for prizm but reviews not so good online but have to admit its aesthetically appealing though...:) mine shld be heavy bioload and im mainly feeding frozen food with cyclopeeze so can see that most cyclopeeze will end up as waste in the tank... Haha! Plus im having cyano invasion now...:/

• SRC Member

Since you included tunze 9002, then BMQQ can also be an option.

Bmqq for in sump usage lehh... It'll look like a torpedo in my main tank... Haha! Tunze 9002 looks exactly like my dymax one and its black so can blend in with my black background...:) thanks for the suggestions. Appreciate it...:)

• SRC Member

Is this good enough? cost less than $200. have been using it for a year.

Yeaaa this is the skimmate i want. Hoping it could be done with the ones i mentioned...:)

Found this new hang on skimmer. Skimz SH 1 (internal) or 2 (external)

http://www.skimz.sg/blog/?p=1098

http://www.cmfish.com/BBS/redirect.php?goto=lastpost&tid=116400

Look promising. But can't find any review. Not sure how is it but Skimz skimmer is a proven brand.

Any bro has tried that can share the experience?

I also looking for one to replace my Dymax XP30. It has been creating lots of noise lately. I need something which has a very low noise level.

Thanks.