Sun Coral Pest or Ghost???

stmomo

Hi Guys, recently something weird happened with my Sun Coral.... and it only happens after the lights goes off....

Something or I don knw, some pest or maybe itself, was topple over. Every morning I would see my Sun fall to the right side.... what could had cause it? And I notice that it only happens after I change my MP40 Configuration to enable night mode 1 week ago.... Very funny right..... Below is the pix of my Sun Coral on itz usual place.... I did not manage to capture the topple pix... this morning it happens again... but now I change it to another location and see how tmr morning.... veru interesting..... any Bros/Sis encounter this before and can share share? Thanks...... :)

post-19125-0-91850000-1320214593_thumb.j

Main Tank: 4x2x2 with 5 FT Piano Finishing Cabinet

Sump Tank: 32" by 18" by 16"

Arctica Chiller 1/4 HP DBE 200

Vortech MP40wES Wavemaker

Skimz 201 Skimmer

DE Lighting Retro Fit 6x54W T5 tubes

Eheim 1264 Chiller and Return Pump

American Pinpoint PH and Temperature Monitor

KDK 15WUD Chiller Compartment Fan

Tunze Osmolator ATO

I think your ghost is a crab. :)

Hahaha.... i suspect that also.... I got 3 hermits.... 2 serpeant and 1 blue eye but all very small only leh... is like less then 1/2 a inch.... unless could it be those hitchhikers? saw one quite big, abt 3/4 inch but not near my Sun Coral leh......

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• SRC Member

Hahaha.... i suspect that also.... I got 3 hermits.... 2 serpeant and 1 blue eye but all very small only leh... is like less then 1/2 a inch.... unless could it be those hitchhikers? saw one quite big, abt 3/4 inch but not near my Sun Coral leh......

agree with desi.. the crab will wonder around your tank at night to look for food.. so might be a hairy crab?

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

agree with desi.. the crab will wonder around your tank at night to look for food.. so might be a hairy crab?

Could it be any other pest? Mantis shrimp?

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

You have snails??

They may be small but very good in toppling corals but if it occurs everyday, then it might be some crabs or goby that live near the sun corals and don't like its position.

Yes, I got 6 turbos..... but how come it only happens after i change my MP40 to night mode? Are they trying to signal me something...... hahahaha..... before i start my night mode... all along NTM mode 24/7........

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

Yes, I got 6 turbos..... but how come it only happens after i change my MP40 to night mode? Are they trying to signal me something...... hahahaha..... before i start my night mode... all along NTM mode 24/7........

Lol, cos MP40 night mode the wave smaller, not as strong as when in normal mode. Also do check what is the percentage drop that your Mp40 is running in night mode. I can't remember what's the default setting liao.

dun think mantis would be capable of that.. im ruling out turbo snails too as they would not leave it till at night to topple your suncoral.. lol

Ya... i agreed with u bro..... my Sun Coral inside for 2 mnths..... nothing happens... and for the pass 1 mnth... no new additional of live stocks due to Ich..... now seems ok liao..... but after set to night mode for the past 1 week, every morning i hv to put back my Sun Coral to its correct position.... kekeke... interesting hobby..... btw.... i jus saw a crab leg behind the Sun Coral.... and now the Sun is actually in a new location...... is it possible that the crab is trying to eat the Sun???

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• SRC Member

Ya... i agreed with u bro..... my Sun Coral inside for 2 mnths..... nothing happens... and for the pass 1 mnth... no new additional of live stocks due to Ich..... now seems ok liao..... but after set to night mode for the past 1 week, every morning i hv to put back my Sun Coral to its correct position.... kekeke... interesting hobby..... btw.... i jus saw a crab leg behind the Sun Coral.... and now the Sun is actually in a new location...... is it possible that the crab is trying to eat the Sun???

time for you to stay up late and observe the tank.. have you tried using a torch light to see your tank at night? if not, try it! its super interesting! =]

Lol, cos MP40 night mode the wave smaller, not as strong as when in normal mode. Also do check what is the percentage drop that your Mp40 is running in night mode. I can't remember what's the default setting liao.

Exactly bro.... this is wat i suspect.... my night mode setting is default which is 50%, half of NTM mode..... maybe that ghost wan more shiok shiok strong current then can sleep..... hahahaha..... don make me fed up.... later i off the MP40 for few nights... hahaha....

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

time for you to stay up late and observe the tank.. have you tried using a torch light to see your tank at night? if not, try it! its super interesting! =]

Yes bro... many times liao..... use to hv many worms... now hardly find any... think my leapard wrasse clean up.... i had seen it eating the bristles... dam shiok..... hahaha...... i even put red plastic on the torch so that i can see them... they cannot see me..... kekekeke.....

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• SRC Member

Yes bro... many times liao..... use to hv many worms... now hardly find any... think my leapard wrasse clean up.... i had seen it eating the bristles... dam shiok..... hahaha...... i even put red plastic on the torch so that i can see them... they cannot see me..... kekekeke.....

haha.. good luck on finding the culprit bro!

haha.. good luck on finding the culprit bro!

Thx Bro.... will update again.... :)

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

Good luck hunting the crabs. Totally understand how u feel. I took 2 months to go crab hunting cos they were eating my acans! One of them even took out my favorite fairy wrasse in front of me!

Wha.... how big is yr crab man? can even eat a wrasse? btw bro... wat is acans?

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

If I were you, I'll just glue e sun coral and not worry about it being toppled

Yes bro..... btw can it be glue on the sand bed? cos my fav location for the Sun is in the sand bed, not live rocks..... maybe ca get a small rock then glue the Sun on it?

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

Yes bro..... btw can it be glue on the sand bed? cos my fav location for the Sun is in the sand bed, not live rocks..... maybe ca get a small rock then glue the Sun on it?

Yes its possible and it's a good idea

Wha.... how big is yr crab man? can even eat a wrasse? btw bro... wat is acans?

The crab about 1 inch. Was eating my acan, I try catching it, it went to where my wrasse was sleeping, my fav wrasse thus became a victim of opportunity.

Acanthastrea, though I'm not sure if it's A. echinata or A. lordhowensis. Though I suspect that mine are A. echinata

Yes its possible and it's a good idea

ok bro.. thx... :)

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

The crab about 1 inch. Was eating my acan, I try catching it, it went to where my wrasse was sleeping, my fav wrasse thus became a victim of opportunity.

Acanthastrea, though I'm not sure if it's A. echinata or A. lordhowensis. Though I suspect that mine are A. echinata

Ic.... I do a search on Acan... is some kind of a brain coral? Bro btw, how big is yr wrasse?

I got a leopard wrasse abt 3.5 inches and got a brain coral also...... and i found the crab.... is abt also 1 inch..... trying to hunt for it now......

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

Ic.... I do a search on Acan... is some kind of a brain coral? Bro btw, how big is yr wrasse?

I got a leopard wrasse abt 3.5 inches and got a brain coral also...... and i found the crab.... is abt also 1 inch..... trying to hunt for it now......

My is a fairy wrasse. That's why easier for the crab to catch it. It's about 1.5inch iirc.