My sump designs & questions

• SRC Member

MyTank7-1-1.jpg

MyTank8-3-1.jpg

For 1st design, the skimmer & Fr are in same compartment.

For 2nd design, they are separated. The idea is to have the untreated water get to skimmer first then some untreated & treated water frm skimmer will go to the FR compartment? Is this a better design or just "extra"?

For size of return pump compartment, is there a calculation for it? Cos with 2 return pumps, the water get pump out faster and it may run dry.

Pls give me some pointers.

Thanks.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

I think for FR wise, it depends on what you put inside. I heard from ppl that FR with biopellets needs to have the return popped back to the skimmer to skim off the excess nutrients.

As for the return compartment running dry, I think shouldn't be a problem as long as your down pipe is big enough because, what pumps up to the main tank = overflow down to sump. Thus, the flow rate up to main tank is the same as flow rate down to sump as long as the pipping allows for it. If drainage pipping undersize, then main tank will overflow as ur pumps will draw water up to main tank faster then the return piping allows for the overflow to drain down to sump.

• SRC Member

Design 1 is definitely better than 2 because it's more space efficient & will cost less to build. If you want FR water after the skimmer compartment, simply place your FR pump in compartment 3 while leaving the FR in compartment 1 would do. Anyway, I don't see much difference since some of the water will definitely flow into compartment 3 without going thru' skimmer.

My current sump is similar to yours. I found out that the 2nd drain pipe into refugium contributes to much detritus in my refugium & compartment 3. (I could put a sponge between 2 & 3 to keep 3 cleaner, but that would restrict pods from getting into main display.) So, a regular cleanup of compartment 2 is a hassle that I regretted. Worse still, the dirt affects the performance of my return pump over time. From hindsight, I would have done better by having only one drain pipe in compartment 1. Allow water from 1(partially skimmed) flow to 2, then from 2 flow to 3. My chaeto would probably grow as well, & the pods would have a great party in there too.

Just my thoughts.

• SRC Member

how big is your tank? 1262 x 2 will drain the sump water super fast..

it will be 3x3x2 with external overflow. I follow the calculators on reefcentral n read that should get 10x tank water cycling rate n arrive at using 2 x 1262.

So u forsee some problems?

Power consumption

• SRC Member

Design 1 is definitely better than 2 because it's more space efficient & will cost less to build. If you want FR water after the skimmer compartment, simply place your FR pump in compartment 3 while leaving the FR in compartment 1 would do. Anyway, I don't see much difference since some of the water will definitely flow into compartment 3 without going thru' skimmer.

My current sump is similar to yours. I found out that the 2nd drain pipe into refugium contributes to much detritus in my refugium & compartment 3. (I could put a sponge between 2 & 3 to keep 3 cleaner, but that would restrict pods from getting into main display.) So, a regular cleanup of compartment 2 is a hassle that I regretted. Worse still, the dirt affects the performance of my return pump over time. From hindsight, I would have done better by having only one drain pipe in compartment 1. Allow water from 1(partially skimmed) flow to 2, then from 2 flow to 3. My chaeto would probably grow as well, & the pods would have a great party in there too.

Just my thoughts.

I'm thinking of putting a filter sock(Madpetz) under drain 2. Not sure how much it can stop how much detrius.

So right now the water flow in your sump is from compartment 1 to 3 and 2 to 3, but not 1 to 2?

I'm planning to use the mud or soil for the refugium(similar to one of the tank at Madpetz).

Power consumption

• SRC Member

I'm thinking of putting a filter sock(Madpetz) under drain 2. Not sure how much it can stop how much detrius.

A filter sock can trap a lot of detritus. But I don't understand the point of doing that. Might as well let the water flow from 1->2->3. I'd keep the plumbing as simple as possible to minimize chances of leakage.

So right now the water flow in your sump is from compartment 1 to 3 and 2 to 3, but not 1 to 2?

Yes.

I'm planning to use the mud or soil for the refugium(similar to one of the tank at Madpetz).

I've no experience on that to offer opinions.