Do i need to add a sump for my reef tank

Their are 3 type of sump" The "Berlin" Sump,Wet/Dry Filter Sump and Refugium sumps".so which type of sump should i get???

All three work well. Currently folks, I'm one of them, go for refugium stocked with chaetomorphora(a type of noodle-like algae p.s. Anthony Calfour's article in Reef Central Forum)combined with an ATS(algae turf scrubber.

At the end of the day, it's elbow grease that keeps the system running.

Happy reefing'

Finbir.

All three work well. Currently folks, I'm one of them, go for refugium stocked with chaetomorphora(a type of noodle-like algae p.s. Anthony Calfour's article in Reef Central Forum)combined with an ATS(algae turf scrubber.

At the end of the day, it's elbow grease that keeps the system running.

Happy reefing'

Finbir.

Hi Finbir.

I have attached the type of sump you have recommended .This is the one you referring?????

post-20257-0-96952600-1323430827_thumb.j

Terryz.: do you have any recommendation(s)?????

Also, will the 3 in 1 sump break down often given its mulitple functions? Will maintainance of the 3 in 1 be problematic (i.e. can only go back to the seller for servicing or change of components)?

Basically, many incorporate all 3 in 1 sump...

Terryz.: do you have any recommendation(s)?????

Also, will the 3 in 1 sump break down often given its mulitple functions? Will maintainance of the 3 in 1 be problematic (i.e. can only go back to the seller for servicing or change of components)?

• SRC Member

Basically your questions show a lack of understanding of sumps. There is no "best" method. It's more which do u prefer? You can start an intellectual debate on which method is best and argue till the cows come home. It would be easier for you to post your sump design and ask for feedback.

You can read http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html for more info. Basic sump design principle: keep it simple.

Basically your questions show a lack of understanding of sumps. There is no "best" method. It's more which do u prefer? You can start an intellectual debate on which method is best and argue till the cows come home. It would be easier for you to post your sump design and ask for feedback.

You can read http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html for more info. Basic sump design principle: keep it simple.

Thank for helping me to understand much better