How to make food sink???

Gambit

Recently bought a small bottle of Cyclop-eeze. It came in wafer form, or rather in flakes. As such the food wouldfloat on the surface, before i know it, it gets sucked in by my filter......the fish will be able to eat like maybe about 20% of the food only.

Once the food gets 'stuck' to the surface they would ignore it.

I tried mixing and stirring the wafer in a cup of aquarium water first.....but it still floats.........

Anyone with any idea how i can make the food sink or at least stay under the surface of the water?????? :(

• SRC Member

i hv same prob. I used to buy th efrozen ones n no prob but now using the dried flakey ones. May go back to frozen ones soon as these loating ones cant use to feed corals.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

I have been feeding my fish with flakes.

I will put the flakes inside a small net and soak it in the aquarium tank and swing the net left and right before releasing the food.

The flakes will be broken into small pieces which is easier for it to sink.

98% of the flakes will sink.

Try it .... i hope it will work on your flakes.

• SRC Member

eh a bit :off: but can anyone just tell me if I can reuse the garlic guard after I already soaked some food in it? Or must I throw the used garlic extract away? like that very fast finish leh. If can reuse, how u all normally store?

Live and Let Live

Too much air trapped in the flakes.

Squeeze them before swirling them hard into your water. They should sink.

With dry flakes, I hold them underwater near a powerhead and release them. They will mostly remain underwater without floating up to the surface.

• SRC Member

I believe most flake food sink.. once it's soaked in water it SHOULD sink..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
I have just got the feeding station thing from Octopus Bay & also saw similar think @ Kallang Way LFS

then the food will not flow back to your over flow... is very useful.

Interesting.. how does it work? How is the fish gonna access the food?

If its good I'm gonna get one so that my tank doesn't get cloudy.. :D

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
Hi arcanehacker,

is just a square hollow box that float on water surface. just place fish food in the center and surface food will not flow back to the filter and remain in the hollow box.

I believe it would be only for large food? .. ;)