lightings

hazkha

• SRC Member

mushrooms should be ok lah. PL ok loh. FL a bit low light but still think might be able to. PL more for fish meh? thought PL more intense than t5. thought PL and t5 like a good fight. Why you say PL inferior to t5 or should I say not suited for corals etc. can explain?? I always thought PL was quite good, to many, even better than t5.

I use 2 t5 55 watts over my tank. Think many kept, and still keeping, SPS and Clams under PL lights very successfully. Danano is one. Go see his tank. search for danano or something. He keeps many clams under PL.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

Best is get MH lah. no need to upgrade next time. But If you want can get PL. eh bro use the FL(1 actinic blue and 1 daylight white) plus 1 PL light. Think better.

PL = Powercompact = Single ended double tube

FL = Normal DOuble ended Fluorescent.

MH= Metal Halide

t5=Very High Output bulbs, energy efficient(the 5 in t5 means the diameter of the tube is 5/8 of normal, normal is t8)

correct me if I'm wrong

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

agreed. MH very hot. can fry egg on the protective glass layer. get 2 PL lights, should be quite good already. since 2 feet. Don't get the two FL lights lah. I bought that as my 1st lighting also. It's overrated, not much use. adds up to abt 100+ also. cause need to change to actinic and daylight etc. I changed to arcardia bulbs last time. cost me almost 100 for 2 ft. Get PL lights. If you want MH, get from a fellow reefer or something.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

yea I mean 2 sets. 1 set can have pure white, pure blue or one tube white, the other half blue. Get 2 sets should be more than enough.

1 2ft 55w abt 35, 1 3ft(forgot wattage) abt 45 go LFS check out. (for 1 set.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

one set, if your keeping mushrooms only, is enough. but doesn't look bright enough to me. Just a visual thing. I feel. With two you can keep a very wide variety of corals too. Some even have luck with SPS and clams under many PLs.

Live and Let Live