Started new nano but don't know why all my organisms died. ):

Hey guys!

Just started a new nano with my bro. I managed to get a few livestocks as well for free.

However i used saltwater from my previous decommissioned tank in which i left in my old tank for a few weeks. (Did not cycle again because i thought previous tank water had

enough bacteria)

Now, the water appears cloudy and my livestock have died. Corals still seem to be alive.

Should i quickly remove the corals or just let the tank cycle as it is for 2 weeks?

Thanks!

• SRC Member

To save trouble for the future,it is best u restart everything again.sell/give away all ur live stock and go throught the normal cycle.

-Main Display Tank : 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft c/w sump tank cabinet (Set up by aquarium artist)

-Lightings : 4 sets of 1.5ft mini aqua lumen LED lights (7 high power led 15W)

-Chiller: 1/4HP artica chiller with a standby of HC-100A

-Skimmer : Bubble Magnus 3 (cone)

-Phosphate Reactor

-NP Bio-pellet D&D onceanic hang-on reactor

-Wavemaker : MP10

-Temperature mointor : American Wireless pinpoint thermometer

• SRC Member

However i used saltwater from my previous decommissioned tank in which i left in my old tank for a few weeks. (Did not cycle again because i thought previous tank water had enough bacteria)

You need to elaborate on this. Was the tank still running with pumps and bio media (live rocks or bio homme) when you transferred the water to the nano tank? If it has been stagnant for a few weeks, your water is probably not safe to use. Besides, salinity would have gone out of whack due to evaporation.

Water from an established tank (provided all the perimeters are correct) may speed up cycling, but it is not instant plug-&-play. Beneficial bacteria that breaks down ammonia, nitrite and nitrates mostly reside in porous live rocks and bio media, so transferring just the water will not help.

I would suggest changing out the water from the nano and use NSW for now with daily small water changes till things are stabilized. Monitor the health of your corals closely.

• SRC Member

Yo Chippie,

How small is your nano?

I always think nano is for the expert! Because parameters seem to fluctuate very fast.

It is easier for beginner to start with a tank of at least 2 feet cube.

Cheers!

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

Hey guys thanks for all the advice!

Anw my tank is a really small nano like i think 15-20 gallons.

And yeah my big tank stopped running with pumps and all the media about a few weeks ago. ): apparently the salinity was still under control with all the other parameters such as nitrate, nitrite and ammonia being perfect. But then again, there were no livestocks except live rocks and sand in the tank. :/

Anw what i've just done this morning is to take out all the corals and put in the decommed large tank since they were surviving fine in there previously.

I also buried the 1 dead fish and seahorse in the sand in the nano and put a new set of active carbon, ceramic rings, sponge filter and lots of bacteria broth as well.

Hoping the nano will start cycling again. Will that work?

Feeling damn sad from the loss of my fish and seahorse. ):

• SRC Member

Hey guys thanks for all the advice!

Anw my tank is a really small nano like i think 15-20 gallons.

And yeah my big tank stopped running with pumps and all the media about a few weeks ago. ): apparently the salinity was still under control with all the other parameters such as nitrate, nitrite and ammonia being perfect. But then again, there were no livestocks except live rocks and sand in the tank. :/

Anw what i've just done this morning is to take out all the corals and put in the decommed large tank since they were surviving fine in there previously.

I also buried the 1 dead fish and seahorse in the sand in the nano and put a new set of active carbon, ceramic rings, sponge filter and lots of bacteria broth as well.

Hoping the nano will start cycling again. Will that work?

Feeling damn sad from the loss of my fish and seahorse. ):

Buried dead fish and sh in sand!?

• SRC Member

Just remove them from the sand lah. You already adding bacteria. And your water first place is not safe already. you cant use back the old water with All the pumps off. The liverock will sure have dieoffs and you transferred them to the nano tank. Start right and save future headache.

• SRC Member

Just remove them from the sand lah. You already adding bacteria. And your water first place is not safe already. you cant use back the old water with All the pumps off. The liverock will sure have dieoffs and you transferred them to the nano tank. Start right and save future headache.

Yes.agreed.

-Main Display Tank : 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft c/w sump tank cabinet (Set up by aquarium artist)

-Lightings : 4 sets of 1.5ft mini aqua lumen LED lights (7 high power led 15W)

-Chiller: 1/4HP artica chiller with a standby of HC-100A

-Skimmer : Bubble Magnus 3 (cone)

-Phosphate Reactor

-NP Bio-pellet D&D onceanic hang-on reactor

-Wavemaker : MP10

-Temperature mointor : American Wireless pinpoint thermometer

• SRC Member

15-20gallons are not much. Empty and restart and use NSW to save the hassle. Rinse the sand with your NSW separately if you want. And let it run properly. You place your corals back in the old tank not too sure how long it survive but the water in the tank may not be usable . You mention the decommed tank has not be running without pumps for weeks, no smell?