Tips on PBT

inwear

• SRC Member

Hi Bro, I need advise on how to keep PBT. I tried a couple of times and never manage to get it past more than 1 month due to Ick. I have QT my Tanks ( fishless for 2 months after every outbreak) , managed to buy a PBT from display tank ( QT by LFS for a month or more) from a reputable LFS (central)and QT for 3 weeks > very fat, healthy and pallet-eating and ICk manage to take hold...btw i use paraguard for treatment once it got home.

Best bet it always the last fish to add after you have QT for a period of time. Then no more adding of live stock including coral. The chance of ich will be very min. If you plan to add live stock then make sure you do QT. Keeping ich magnet must be very discipline and monitor the fish frequently. You don't know when it will relapse. Good luck.

Best bet it always the last fish to add after you have QT for a period of time. Then no more adding of live stock including coral. The chance of ich will be very min. If you plan to add live stock then make sure you do QT. Keeping ich magnet must be very discipline and monitor the fish frequently. You don't know when it will relapse. Good luck.

• SRC Member

PBT raly an ick magnet.

Keep us posted. :)

Brought my last pbt today from sealife this evening..three itches...hve been Holding Tank by them for more than a month..one blue note damaged..currently QT with Paraguard..will keep it there for the next two months...hope it will pull thru

Pbt hmm....there is always chances of ick getting in ur tank.

For pbt first thing is to get one that is eating well n QTed.

Once back home n placed in ur set up,it is most likely to get ick

within days,

Experience tells me to wean it lots of seaweeds soak with garlic

or selcon etc...but must place it in an individual spacious container

n it normally wont resist seaweed as they are algae eater.

Ick will almost always hit ur pbt,but once its stronger n healthier

it will overcome the ICK!

No offence to ALL ...kept 2yrs plus n sold to a reefer here since

its got bigger.

Best of luck to u bro!

• SRC Member

Spacious and mature tank (I recommend at least 4 ft), strong water flow and good water parameters + a pellet feeding PBT bought from a reliable lfs. Your chance will be good. It is likely to get some ich once in display tank but ensure it is feeding well, after a few days it'll be ok. Subsequently, don't add new fishes that are not guarantine, but only from reliable lfs.

• Senior Reefer

there is absolutely no reason why PBT tangs cannot be kept easily without casualty.

number 1 cause of death is ich.

with proper quarantine, ich is a disease you can eliminate completely.

study the life cycle of ich.

it is a parasite that you can eliminate for good and prevent it from coming into your system with stringent quarantine.

most people here practice the dump and hope approach where fish bought from fish stores and placed into the tank immediately and then hope that no disease show up.

unfortunately, disease is prevalent in all fish stores and disagree or not, it's there.

many people have the misunderstanding that ich is not possible to eradicate and is part and parcel of reefing but it is not.

if you want an ich-less tank, just quarantine every fish.

quarantine does not mean putting your fish in a betta box and observing. that is not quarantine. that is just as bad as putting your fish in the tank without any treatment.

quarantine is putting your fish in a separate tank and treating it for disease and only once it is disease free, then you place it in your tank. most people in singapore do not have the space or time for quarantine tanks and that's unfortunate, like me. i don't practice quarantine too.

but if you don't quarantine, then ich will always be a problem. it will always be there. but it is NOT impossible to get rid.

the next best thing will be to obtain healthy fish, stock slowly, under stock and feed your fish well. you will still get some kind of ich outbreak but the severity depends on your discipline and your maintenance.

you will never get rid of ich unless you quarantine all your fish from the start. that means before you put any fish in the tank since day 1.

that doesn't mean that ich is incurable. it is not found everywhere.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, I am a newbie here wish to share my short experience 4 months keeping PBT. I brought the 1st & 2nd about 2.5" fr the northern LS shop. Both lasted 3 days & 1 month. I realised that the cause was the fish has developed ich & despike the fish is feeding well, it died with a bloated tummie which i believes i had feed it too much of micsy shrimp instead of veggies food & it probably couldnt digest the meaty food.

After a failure analysis, i brought another about 2.5" from a farm. This time i make a point to 1st serve veggie fake food & follow by micssy shrimp or pellet and last with seaweed.

My 3rd PBT has fattern & established it no 1 position in the tank. Ocasionally, it has contacted white spot but was able to fight off the bugs. So far it is almost 3 months & counting.

I am hopeful it could last another 3 mths which then i could claim as a success story. My finger cross everytime i look at it & also counting the days that i have it in my tank. Smiling but also worrying. Cheers.

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

• SRC Member

my 4 mths PT been feeding on seaweed after many attempts on other food. Stubborn fellow refuses to eat other things

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

i have a pair of pbts...been keeping for 2 wks...keeping my fingers crossed. Both feeding on mysis.

Hi bro, if it only feed on mysis & it can poos then should be no concern. But do take note PBT is a veggie fish so the main diet are algae n seaweed. Cheers

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

• SRC Member

Just go CF or Ah Beng to buy a bunch of red bamboo algae and throw inside your tank.

At least they have something to eat if they get starved.

they will certainly finish within the day itself.