Setting up 2 ft tank

• SRC Member

eventually from what i know, skimmer is there to create bubbles so it depends on the pump on the skimmer. Some skimmer price r way high just because of the brand and fancy design. But personally for me, it depends on the pump that the manufacturer is using.. I just using a dymax xp-30.. its not branded but it works for me.

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

Dear Bro,

I am setting up 2ft tank with sump. Which to ask recommand for equipment for 2ft tank. Like what skimmer, lighting, return pump power. Please help.

Thank you

Hi, just my honest opinion to your question based on my experience. Reefers please feel free to add on or correct me if i may be wrong.

Skimmer: I use reef octopus hang on skimmer, really effective and produce thick thick skimate. I got it from another fellow reefer at modest hundred bucks.

I believe that it is important to have a skimmer's capability rated higher than the requirement of your tank to ensure pristine water conditions.

In another words, in this context it is better to overkill than to underkill. Look for brands like Reef Octopus, Bubble Magus, Deltec.

Lighting: Depends on the type of livestock you intend to keep. FOWLR do not really need intense lighting, corals specifically SPS would need intense lighting. A lot of upcoming led brands and model available which you can look around. Labels like Maxspect, Radion or even recently Eshine is pretty reputable for reef tanks. Alternatively, if you do not like LED you can go for T5s labels like ATI. For a 2 feet tank you mentioned, i believe one set of radion would suffice however you may look like a older version of Maxspect(G2) which you can source for in the buy/sell forum if your budget is a little tight.

Return Pump: In my opinion, the ideal water circulation rate should be around 10 cycles a hour of your tank volume. Which means if your tank volume is around 200 litres, you may want to look for a pump that is perhaps 2400l/hr. After factoring in the estimated head loss, you might reach somewhere near 2000/hr depending on your head loss. Brands like aqua bee, Eheim, Ocean Runner or Tesino is relatively good.

Enjoy Reefing :)