Need help on my Twin Brain!

kschew1498

• SRC Member

Hi Can someone advise if these brain recovered? I have only recently introduce MH light, 150w, 17kk and 8 hours a day....

Very chiam.....can see the skeleton......

Any dosing of cal needed? My is already at 500ppm.

Please help!!! :(

post-7-1074591007.jpg

• SRC Member

Sob Sob.....guess I have to let it RIP <_<

But then....kekeke...I can buy some more....haha

Any advise for any special requirements to keep them? I have browse this site www.reefsource.com and it was commented that they are pretty hardy! hmmm..... :huh:

Anyway with my introduction of my MH....keke...I think should be ok hor.... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Just like to share my bad experience:

I installed a DE 150w mh in May and all my corals residing in the centre portion of the tank (ie under MH) died: sps, lps, soft.

I checked all my set up and by the time I identify the culprit in Sep, ie high UV from DE, I loss a lot of lives, $ etc.

The MH I got is a cheapo with the glass which is non-UV shielded.

Now I switched to SE.

Keep a lookout: if a number of healthy specimens residing under MH (regardless of depth) died, and those receiving indirect light prosper, then it MAY be UV.

• SRC Member

May I ask...what is DE & SE? How do I know mine can filter UV? Any special glass in the market that I can replace my MH light...just to play safe.

Thanks LinkinPark for your advise.....hmmm.....how to check mine?

By the way, I am suspecting my cannister is the culprit for the high NO3!!! I am using it to drive my Resun Chiller.

Can i change the medium inside for some denitrate that are sold off the shelf?....or something like that! :huh:

I have got a miserable sump tank and I think my DSB is not enough because more of the sand surface are cover by LR..... <_<

• SRC Member
May I ask...what is DE & SE? How do I know mine can filter UV? Any special glass in the market that I can replace my MH light...just to play safe.

Thanks LinkinPark for your advise.....hmmm.....how to check mine?

DE = double-ended, ie the two end of the MH blub attached to the holder.

SE = single-ended, only one end of the bulb is the connector and attached to the holder.

Generally, DE emit more UV than SE.

How to tell? I placed a very healthy coral under the MH (in my case, regardless of depth) and the tissue receded/damaged in a few days

• SRC Member

hI kschew1498,

whats the temp u keep for yr tank. High temp or wide swing in temp can cos LPS/SPS to slowly die.

I dun think 50 for nitrate can cos such effect. It might be yr water/ filtration is unstable. What do u dose yr tank. Incorrect usage of additives & chemicals can be a disaster.

Do provide more details. Tank inhabitants, placement of brain, etc. Besides,what testkit u using?

Wei :)

• SRC Member

Thanks Bro LinkinPark...I am using DE now....if there any special glass to fliter off the UV Lights?

Hi Wei.....I am currently using Resun CL280 and the temp is kept at 26degree.

I have only dose ph buffer and I think I should have most necessary test kit...NH3, NO2, NO3, KH, Ph, Cal.

Talking about tank inhabitants....

Corals: polyps, mushroom, leather, sun coral, hammer, tonga frogspawn, star polyp, chirstmas tree, fan worm, cat eye bubble, ricordea, flower pot, xenia, gonipora,

and....

1 clam, 1 tube anemone, 7 fishes and 4 different shrimps....and that all....hopefully that not a lot...kekeke :lol:

hmmm.....for a 2 footer :paiseh:

• SRC Member

It's not that De emits for UV, it's that The glass use to make the SE bulb is a UV shield. DE bulbs mostly dun use UV shielding glass to make the bulb. But now there are some brands that use UV shielding glass to make their DE bulbs.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
It's not that De emits for UV, it's that The glass use to make the SE bulb is a UV shield. DE bulbs mostly dun use UV shielding glass to make the bulb. But now there are some brands that use UV shielding glass to make their DE bulbs.

Orrrrr!! Like tat huh!! :huh:

Mine 17kk....hmmm.....dont know whether good one or not.....bought from another reefer 2nd hand. ??? :huh:

Will have to monitor closely!! :erm:

Hehehe got a crazy suggestion....was wondering if I can use those V-cool for car to stick across the glass panel to reduce UV...hmmm....can or not huh??? :lol:

• SRC Member
share a pic of my 4ft .....recently changed to 20KK 150W MH.

:D

Wow...bro....si bei chio huh.....!!! :lol: must go to your place next week....kekeke....my Mdm going outstation again..next Monday!!! Yaooooo!!! then we can go fish shopping again.....hahaha :lol:

• SRC Member

That means no other way except change bulb!!! Bo hwa liao la....the bloody bulb will probably cost me half the price I bought this MH light!!

Si bei Sian ah.....really huh.....pay peanuts get monkey!!! :lol:

Also remember that when doing water changes to reduce nitrates, the nitrates will only be reduced proportionate to the amount of water changed. For example, if you have 50ppm of NO3, and you change 10% of water, you will reduce the NO3 by 10% or 5ppm. You will still be left with 45ppm. This does not mean to change a larger amount of water, but you may want to change a small amount more often. How long did you have the brain before it starting losing tissue? Maybe it was an unhealthy specimen before you got it.