Butterfly fish

Hi

Anyone keep butterfly fish?

What type of butterfly fish you keep? What type of food it is feeding?

How to trained it to eat pellet?

Which type of butterfly fish is easily to feed on pellets?

Thanks for sharing,

• Moderators

IMO, the easier one are black back, Auriga (Threafin), Vagabond.

WIll start to feed on pellet quite quickly. And usually no issue with frozen mysis.

If water quality is good, e.g. Aged tank. Golden Butterfly is also quite an easy species.

I have successfully keep the above in my tank with several other species and some of them for more than 1 year now.

Do note some species can grow really big. Do note, like angels, butterflies carry a fair bit of parasites on them.

So better quarantine them properly before introducing them to the main tank.

Tom

Thanks for all the advises.

Butterfly fishes are very beautiful and are more peaceful fishes.

Presently I have two butterfly fishes, black pyramid and klein butterfly in the main tank for more than 3 months eating pellets. Lost one threadfin butterfly , just stopping eating after one month. Have another banner butterfly in the qt.

Want to learn more on butterfly fishes.....

Thanks Thomas.

I read that in the internet, they are aggressive towards similar look fish. You are right this also apply to all type of fishes, not just butterfly. In general, butterfly are more peaceful than angels and tangs. But more hard to feed...

• 3 weeks later...

Normally no problem to mix the butterfly with angel.

Initial when introduce butterfly to tank with angel, there is some form of bullies not really fight, stop after a few days.

After that, I never see the fight between the angel and butterfly. Only saw the fight between the banner butterfly and the purple tang. Maybe closer in shape as compare with angel.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I believe the fishes of similiar colors and shape have more agression against each other because in the wild they have to protect their territories to ensure that they have enough food supply. There are a few ways to reduce the aggression such as doing some rescape to confuse the existing inhabitants so that they have no more familiar territory to defend. Yet my experience is that angels are generally more aggressive than butterflies.

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg