flame hawk

EbiTank

hi people, just saw a whole new batch of flame hawks, flame angels and flasher wrasses at a lfs today. oooh!

conditions look good and just purchased a flame angel for a friend.

Q1: are these fishes only available from Hawaii?

have planned to get a flame angel soon, but at a dilema now after seeing the flame hawk. always perching and looking cool..a bit like my blenny/royal gramar. (very cute)

Q2:is the FH a big eater? dun want him generating too much sh** as i still have not solved my nitrate problem.

Q3) is it true that aquarists can stock more fishes if they belong to those that dun swim too much, i.e.take up les swimming space and eat less thereby less sh** produced. (but my bi-color blenny ate so much and produced such big lumps of sh** that i wish i could toilet-train him! :angry: )

p.s. for those stocking up their tank, new stock includes Achi Tangs and lots of yellow tangs too. :)

• SRC Member
juz curious is flame hawk and flame angel suitable for the reef ??

Flame Angel safe? depends on ur luck leh... my Flame Angel & Coral Beauty luvs to peck at the clams n corals ;)

Flame Hawk? Tis fellow dun peck... but likes to rest on top of some corals, sleeps in my leather coral too :rolleyes: very cute n adorable

Q1: are these fishes only available from Hawaii?

Q2:is the FH a big eater? dun want him generating too much sh** as i still have not solved my nitrate problem.

Q3) is it true that aquarists can stock more fishes if they belong to those that dun swim too much, i.e.take up les swimming space and eat less thereby less sh** produced.

1. Nope... they can be found elsewhere

2. They are shrimp eaters so if you have cleaners you may want to remove them. They can be trained to eat frozen foods like mysis shrimp. Based on size and the fact that they conserve energy by perching and only going after food... they won't produce as much wastes as other much active fishes.

3. I guess I can say that smaller fishes, less active fishes produce less waste so in theory, you can stock more. But that is also bearing in mind interspecies' behaviourial patterns and territorial needs. ie. stocking 20 firefishes vs 5 tangs = same amount of waste = but heavy aggression between the tangs.