Cycle LRs outside the house

I remember reading some advice regarding the above topic but, can't seem to find it. Tried search words like..."smelly", "cycle" , "LRs" , "HELP" and even "wife" (Hee! Hee!).

I can't afford for the house to smell (precaution better than scolding).

I'm looking at about 20 to 39kg of it. And I need all the help I can get.

Help!

• SRC Member

wahahah i'm cycling my 2nd batch of LR for 2nd tank 20kgs... inside a makeshift 2footer with skimmer and a make shift overhead filter with sponge, polyfilter, coral chips and the smell is not that bad can hardly smell unless you go too near :P

wahahah i'm cycling my 2nd batch of LR for 2nd tank 20kgs... inside a makeshift 2footer with skimmer and a make shift overhead filter with sponge, polyfilter, coral chips and the smell is not that bad can hardly smell unless you go too near :P

Thanks for all your time and advice.

Managed to find the thread.

It's "HELP!!! Smelly water during cycling...." But it doesn't really help me.

Mine is a double story flat. The tank is just half way under the staircase. The staircase leads up to the room.

If I place the LRs in a deep container (with saltwater of course) outside the balcony, attach an air pump. Can it be done?

The other concern is that both of us are not around at times and the flat can be closed up for afew days at a stretch.

Need to find an alternative. 2nd hand LRs perhaps??

• SRC Member

Thanks for all your time and advice.

Managed to find the thread.

It's "HELP!!! Smelly water during cycling...." But it doesn't really help me.

Mine is a double story flat. The tank is just half way under the staircase. The staircase leads up to the room.

If I place the LRs in a deep container (with saltwater of course) outside the balcony, attach an air pump. Can it be done?

The other concern is that both of us are not around at times and the flat can be closed up for afew days at a stretch.

Need to find an alternative. 2nd hand LRs perhaps??

I wrote the topic HELP! as I was curing my uncured LR and it stinks! Later I found out the reason why......I forgot to put on the air tube for aeration on my powerhead, no wonder the ROCK is dying due to lack of oxygen. After the smelly experiences, I add in my Weipro 2012 skimmer and adjust the powerhead nearer to the water surface to draw in air as it circulate the saltwater. The smell reduced dramatically after around 4hrs of skimming.......WEIPRO 2012 is a good skimmer!!!

Now everything is back to normal, i'm cycling my sands and water now, tomolo will add in the LR liao.....good luck!

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

:lol: Wait till you get hold of a beckett skimmer or a H&S Euroreef! :)

Dont think I wan to spend that kinda money for now.......white cat,black cat......can catch a mouse is a good cat :-)

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member
Dont think I wan to spend that kinda money for now.......white cat,black cat......can catch a mouse is a good cat :-)

James

Yeah, but some cats only catch mice, while others will also catch rats for you. :D

Just joking.....

• SRC Member

The reduction in smell is due to increased aeration. LR won't smell bad during cycling as long as the water doesn't turn anaerobic.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

To all,

Thanks and it's so much better than the other alternative "..... don't start and give away the tank!!"

I'll probably do it at the balcony, cover it with a black trash bag with some holes for the gases to escape.

Tanzy,

Another question,

When the smell is kinda' gone can I transfer the LRs into the tank and continue with the cycling process and would I need to use the same water or can I use a fresh batch of saltwater?

This should wrap up this topic and once again thanks alot.

• SRC Member

A tank full of fresh saltwater will do nice.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
hey...e smell is not strong 1 lar..

the only thing u shld avoid is pple complaining u r spendin too much time n $ on ur tank

n of coz the floor being stinky all e time due to e salt...

wahhahaha that applies to me especially the electrical bills!!! wahhhahahha :P